The problem with many Ron Paul supporters
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 08, 2024, 09:48:29 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  The problem with many Ron Paul supporters
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: The problem with many Ron Paul supporters  (Read 4738 times)
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: March 11, 2009, 08:19:53 PM »

it's not like healthcare has evolved at all since then
Brandon H
brandonh
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.48, S: 1.74

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #51 on: March 11, 2009, 11:26:05 PM »

Well there is a difference between anarchy and libertarianism. I think SPC is more of an anarcho-capitalists than a libertarian though. Anarchy = no government and no respect for rights of others. Anarcho capitalism = no government, but respect for rights of others. Libertarianism = minimal amount of government to protect rights.

Well, anarcho-capitalism is a smaller branch of libertarianism. The dominant minarchist branch believes in minimal government to protect rights, though I'm skeptical of how that could work in practice, given that every government has a tendency to expand beyond its "limits".

Because we elect Republicrats instead of people who care about the constitution. With the right people (such as Ron Paul), government won't expand. We just need to stop putting the wrong people in, which is easier said than done.

I'm skeptical when the Republicrats give us McCain and Obama and tell us we are free because we get to pick one of them.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #52 on: March 12, 2009, 07:23:53 PM »

Well there is a difference between anarchy and libertarianism. I think SPC is more of an anarcho-capitalists than a libertarian though. Anarchy = no government and no respect for rights of others. Anarcho capitalism = no government, but respect for rights of others. Libertarianism = minimal amount of government to protect rights.

Well, anarcho-capitalism is a smaller branch of libertarianism. The dominant minarchist branch believes in minimal government to protect rights, though I'm skeptical of how that could work in practice, given that every government has a tendency to expand beyond its "limits".

Because we elect Republicrats instead of people who care about the constitution. With the right people (such as Ron Paul), government won't expand. We just need to stop putting the wrong people in, which is easier said than done.

I'm skeptical when the Republicrats give us McCain and Obama and tell us we are free because we get to pick one of them.

But given that the Republicrats have rigged an already rigged system in their favor, I wouldn't count on that happening. Since more honest people tend to go into non-political professions, that usually leaves the dishonest to be politicians. We had a Constitution once and it failed, so I don't see how returning to it would prevent big government from happening again.
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -8.00

« Reply #53 on: March 12, 2009, 07:38:42 PM »

One of my many problems with liberitarians is that they often put Democrats and Republicans in the same categories. That is just stupid, we have clear and obvious differences. Statism is not an ideology.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #54 on: March 12, 2009, 11:05:35 PM »

One of my many problems with liberitarians is that they often put Democrats and Republicans in the same categories. That is just stupid, we have clear and obvious differences. Statism is not an ideology.

Okay, let's take a quiz....
1. Which president has promised and delivered hundreds of billions of dollars in bailouts in a futile attempt to "cure" the depression, Bush or Obama?
2. Which president has promised to stay in Afghanistan, and have promised to keep a significant number of troops in Iraq, Bush or Obama?
3. Which president has abused presidential signing statements, Bush or Obama?
4. Which president has done nothing to advance sound money, or even discuss the issue, Bush or Obama?
5. Which president has gone through several controversial cabinet nominees and members, Bush or Obama?
6. Which president has drastically increased the national debt, Bush or Obama?

I could go on and on with this, but if you answered any of the above questions, you would be correct. Still think there's a significant difference between the major parties?
Brandon H
brandonh
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.48, S: 1.74

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #55 on: March 12, 2009, 11:17:16 PM »

But given that the Republicrats have rigged an already rigged system in their favor, I wouldn't count on that happening. Since more honest people tend to go into non-political professions, that usually leaves the dishonest to be politicians. We had a Constitution once and it failed, so I don't see how returning to it would prevent big government from happening again.

I see your point. If we went back to a form government intended by our founders, would the country as a whole be smart enough to keep it that way, or would it eventually end up back in its present state? I would lean towards the latter happening.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #56 on: March 14, 2009, 11:17:09 PM »
« Edited: March 14, 2009, 11:24:02 PM by Senator PiT »

So? From our point of view, your differences are pointless. It's like someone telling you that there are clear & obvious differences between fascists & monarchists. From your point of view, both are extremely undesirable & must be opposed at all costs.

I'm not one to talk though since I, from time to time, support candidates from either party in order to prevent their opponent from winning, but eh.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies