Poll: Majority in Iceland now for EU-membership
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 04, 2024, 06:30:45 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Poll: Majority in Iceland now for EU-membership
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Poll: Majority in Iceland now for EU-membership  (Read 2578 times)
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2008, 01:53:06 PM »

A good chunk of Kazakhstan is west of the Urals.  Could it be part of the EU?

Given that Turkey is only partially in Europe, and is on the path to membership, presumably similarly Kazakhstan also meets the requirements.

The Council of Europe have accepted that their partial presence in Europe meets their geographical requirements for membership.

Streching for other points, their football teams participate in European, rather than Asian, competitions.

All in all, I'd imagine they can make a reasonable claim for meeting the EU's geographaic requirement.
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -2.87

« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2008, 02:00:37 PM »

They need to rename the European Union if they are going to let countries that aren't even part of Europe in. Tongue

Oddly enough, being geographically in Europe isn't actually a requirement to join.

Per what is now (IIRC) Article 49 of the Treaty on European Union, only European states may apply to join. Also worth nmoting that not being European was the reason given for rejecting Morocco's application in the 80's.

geographically speaking Iceland is only half on the Eurasian tectonic plate where as the western half is part of the North American plate, so really something like 90% of Iceland's population lives in North America (only using very broad terms though). Though using this definition parts of Russia and Japan would also be included in North America. link: http://www.iris.edu/seismon/imgs/plates.gif

Well, the definition of European (in terms of potential for EU membership) is probably as important in the cultural sense as in the geographic sense.

It says only European states may join, but I always thought that this was not actually defined in the treaty.  I know Morocco was rejected for not being in Europe, but I didn't think the geography was really the reason, though I could very well be wrong.

I think there's a difference between a country being in Europe geographically and being a European country, if that makes any sense.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2008, 02:03:20 PM »

Georgia is certainly European, so I think it's cultural more than anything.
GMantis
Dessie Potter
Junior Chimp
Bulgaria

« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2008, 02:07:36 PM »

I think if the question was "Do you want Iceland to join the EU, knowing that this would deprive us of our favourable fishing rights?" the vast majority would be against.
Georgia is unlikely to become a member until they have solved their separatism problems and that won't be any time soon.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2008, 02:27:41 PM »

I think if the question was "Do you want Iceland to join the EU, knowing that this would deprive us of our favourable fishing rights?" the vast majority would be against.
Georgia is unlikely to become a member until they have solved their separatism problems and that won't be any time soon.

That's true, but if it was stable, it would be accepted.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #30 on: March 01, 2008, 02:28:44 PM »

Cyprus has much worse problems and it was accepted.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #31 on: March 01, 2008, 02:44:14 PM »

That was due to blackmail.
GMantis
Dessie Potter
Junior Chimp
Bulgaria

« Reply #32 on: March 01, 2008, 02:55:23 PM »

I don't understand you. Who was blackmailed by whom?
Bono, Georgia actually had a war over both separatist territories about ten years ago, and there are still clashes and high tension. Cyprus has more or less settled down.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2008, 02:56:22 PM »

Bono, Georgia actually had a war over both separatist territories about ten years ago, and there are still clashes and high tension. Cyprus has more or less settled down.
The EU was blackmailed by Greece. Cyprus was included largely to prevent a Greek veto of Eastern expansion.
GMantis
Dessie Potter
Junior Chimp
Bulgaria

« Reply #34 on: March 01, 2008, 03:03:28 PM »

The EU was blackmailed by Greece. Cyprus was included largely to prevent a Greek veto of Eastern expansion.
Well, Cyprus also had a much better economy than some other countries which joined recently.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #35 on: March 01, 2008, 03:21:14 PM »

Well, Cyprus also had a much better economy than some other countries which joined recently.
Yes... not the point though. The EU wouldn't have saddled itself with that boundary dispute if it wasn't for the, ahem, specific political circumstances.
GMantis
Dessie Potter
Junior Chimp
Bulgaria

« Reply #36 on: March 01, 2008, 03:25:12 PM »

Yes... not the point though. The EU wouldn't have saddled itself with that boundary dispute if it wasn't for the, ahem, specific political circumstances.
So this confirms that Georgia won't join any time soon (even if their economy greatly improves).
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies