Worst Relationships between Heads of Friendly or Allied Countries (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 08, 2024, 03:00:03 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Worst Relationships between Heads of Friendly or Allied Countries (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Worst Relationships between Heads of Friendly or Allied Countries  (Read 6424 times)
moderatevoter
ModerateVAVoter

« on: March 23, 2015, 11:08:20 PM »

Barack Obama (U.S.) and Benjamin Netanyahu (Israel) - obviously very visible recently

Richard Nixon (U.S.) and Indira Gandhi (India) - the G-rated version involves him habitually referring to her as "that witch"

Richard Nixon (U.S.) and Pierre Trudeau (Canada) - of Nixon's tirades against him, Trudeau would say, "I've been called worse things by better people."

What are some others?

I'm not sure we can count the US and India as friendly or allies during this time. Under Nixon, American policy started to more evidently 'tilt' towards Pakistan, which caused India to deviate from its non-aligned policy in favor of a shift towards the Soviet Union.
moderatevoter
ModerateVAVoter

« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2015, 01:03:55 PM »

I've never understood why, but yes, the US have long had a rather antagonistic relationship with India. That's the reason Pakistan ended up as an "ally" even though that makes absolutely no sense from an ideological standpoint.

I think the reason is that India joined the Non-Aligned Movement and sought a good relationship with the USSR. I might be wrong (far from being an expert on that topic).

Basically. India remained non-aligned, which greatly annoyed the United States. On the other hand, Pakistan went out of its way to present itself as anti-Communist. The United States aligned with Pakistan in order to maintain some sort of presence in South Asia, while Pakistan thought it needed to align itself with a superpower to ensure protection from India.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies