Chain of Election Games: Results, Claims, Rules Thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 09:36:40 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  Chain of Election Games: Results, Claims, Rules Thread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Chain of Election Games: Results, Claims, Rules Thread  (Read 2742 times)
Spamage
spamage
United States

« on: June 09, 2013, 11:30:23 PM »
« edited: July 18, 2013, 04:10:27 PM by Governor Spamage »

Chain of Election Games

Hello, and welcome to the Chain of Election games.

Rules-
     1. Each Candidate posts who they're playing as in this thread prior to the 48 hour declaration period.
     2. Each Candidate posts a schedule of activities per week (as opposed to per day) for a month in the game.
     3. For every election from 1828-1860 1 turn equals 1 month in the game
     4. For the first few election, we will already start in the GE
     5. Only real American politicians, while a lot will change, I prefer to keep one part normal
     6. Have fun!
     7. Each turn is 48 hours
     8. If you are elected President you must appoint a Sec. of State as well as Vice President (for the first few elections you are the Presidential and Vice Presidential Candidate)
     9. Upon the election, I will ask the winner for their appointment for Sec. of State. Then I will ask the President, VP, and Sec. of State, (and depending on interest I might add the Speaker of the House) several questions. The quality of the response and the people's reaction to them make up the term.
    10. I give out endorsements, please don't ask, I will do it as I see fit Wink

Election Results

Election Results, 1824

Popular Vote:

DeWitt Clinton 38.21% (Democratic-Republican) formerly Federalist
Andrew Jackson 34.45% (Democratic-Republican)
John C. Cahloun 15.33% (Democratic-Republican)
John Randolph 12.01% (Democratic-Republican)

Election Results 1828
John Randolph (AM-VA)/ Martin Van Buren (AM-NY) 621,360 (51.78%) 136 Electoral Votes
John Quincy Adams (PT-MA)/ John Sergeant (PT-PA) 578,640 (48.22%) 131 Electoral Votes

Presidents of the United States

George Washington 1789-1797 (N/A)

John Adams 1797-1801 (Federalist)

Thomas Jefferson 1801-1809 (Democratic-Republican)

James Madison 1809-1817 (Democratic-Republican)

James Monroe 1817-1825 (Democratic-Republican)

DeWitt Clinton 1825-1828 (Protectionist)*
LuminevonReuenthal

John C. Calhoun 1828-1829 (Nullification)

John Randolph 1829- (American)
MadmanMotley

*- Died in Office
**-Assassinated
***-Resigned
Spamage
spamage
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2013, 11:31:06 PM »
« Edited: June 09, 2013, 11:37:13 PM by Governor Spamage »

Election of 1824 Claims Now Open

(I'll be lenient about time for claiming cause this is the opening one)

Spamage
spamage
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2013, 11:41:08 PM »

Also if I feel there's too few candidates, I reserve the right to create a few background ones (impossible for them to win, but they can make it complicated).
Spamage
spamage
United States

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2013, 11:42:24 PM »

I'll put up the thread now so y'all have time to post. This way, since turns and declaration periods are the same, we finish the first turn the same time as the declaration period.
Spamage
spamage
United States

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2013, 04:01:44 PM »

Got you both Smiley
Spamage
spamage
United States

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2013, 07:47:09 PM »

Also, want to specify the questions that I ask will be primarily multiple choice.
Spamage
spamage
United States

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2013, 10:53:37 PM »

What would you guys think about 24 hour turns at least until we get to more detailed races?
Spamage
spamage
United States

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2013, 03:36:53 PM »

I'm not sure whether I could do it, but I'd like to claim William Crawford.

Next weekend will be 1828 and I'd be happy to have you both playing Smiley
Spamage
spamage
United States

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2013, 08:22:39 PM »

I'm a bit confused by Henry Clay (The High Priest of Protectionism and Internal Improvements) endorsing conservative John Randolph... Clay would IRL sooner endorse DeWitt Clinton or John C. Calhoun (This being before Calhoun turned against internal improvements)... So, if I could have some sort of explanation on that one, consider me a satisfied election watcher lol.

Didn't realize I did that until after I posted Tongue Although endorsements don't really do much (besides generally show how a campaign an it's momentum is doing) I regret making that mistake.
Spamage
spamage
United States

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2013, 02:54:04 PM »

Election Results, 1824

Popular Vote:

DeWitt Clinton 38.21% (Democratic-Republican) formerly Federalist
Andrew Jackson 34.45% (Democratic-Republican)
John C. Cahloun 15.33% (Democratic-Republican)
John Randolph 12.01% (Democratic-Republican)

Americans flocked to the polls in 1824, with the highest turnout in American History. There was a renewed interest in Democracy, and loud complaints were heard from states without direct voting. When all was said and done no candidate had the majority, Dewitt Clinton, the former Federalist nominee garnered every state he won against James Madison and came close. He narrowly lost both Pennsylvania and Ohio, either state would’ve led him to victory.
   Andrew Jackson “Old Hickory” came second in both the popular and electoral votes. His popular vote percentage was much higher however. John Randolph, the Representative from Virginia, served as somewhat of a spoiler for Jackson as had Randolph not ran Jackson would’ve carried Pennsylvania, North Carolina, Vermont, and New Jersey, enough to give him the election.
   John C. Calhoun did much better than expected but rumors emerged of voter fraud and the South Carolinian was vilified by the American newspapers calling him a “tyrant in the wings”. The people of the states he won however, seemed content with him having their electoral votes.
   As Congress reconvened there was a tense atmosphere. Was it to be Burr vs. Jefferson 2.0 or would one candidate serve as a rallying point to unite the votes. Henry Clay, the Speaker, privately urged John Randolph to endorse Clinton, as Randolph wouldn't be heading to the U.S. House (only the top 3 do) but Randolph’s response remained up in the air. The election could go any which way, despite the fact Clinton won the popular vote by a fairly large margin.
Spamage
spamage
United States

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2013, 05:46:57 PM »

Sent a PM to DeWitt with questions. After I get them and write a summary of his term and the claims for the next game will begin! Smiley Although the game wont start until June 23rd or so.
Spamage
spamage
United States

« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2013, 09:54:23 PM »
« Edited: June 15, 2013, 10:03:20 PM by Governor Spamage »

The Presidency of DeWitt Clinton
    Following the contentious election of 1812, DeWitt Clinton set out to work and in his inaugural address mentioned how he was supportive of Democratic-Republican unity, despite the fact there were those who wished for the separate factions to go their own way.

Clinton managed to make the South very angry during his term, despite the fact that he outwardly pushed for party unity. This started subtly when he chose Daniel Webster, a fellow north easterner to be Secretary of State. Initially he was quite popular but when he handed over the issue of Mexico not ratifying the Adams-Onis Treaty, an agreement which had been made with Spain, to the President he was attacked as weak willed. Southern animousity grew fiercer when President Clinton called for all states without popular voting to call a referendum and let the citizens decide how they'd vote in Presidential Elections. While this endeared him to many common folk, people within state governments and supportive of state governments came out in full force calling the president a Federalist. Popular voting passed in every state.

While in a sense the call for a voter's referendum wasn't directed specifically at the South,  his encouragement for a higher tariff and the idea of leaving the bank as is, was. Southerners such as John C. Calhoun grew so furious that they became the first faction to break away from the now Monolithic Democratic-Republican Party. Many others threatened to do so as well, but in order to appease them the President listened to their demands.

The Southerners demanded Florida be admitted as two states, but people in the north, reminding the nation of the Missouri Compromise, stood in the way. They contended that Florida and Michigan both be admitted as one state each, and the President was forced to listen. "Floppy DeWitt" became the President's nickname during this period as he bent to the demands of others too much.

Seeing all the division, and the approaching Election of 1828, President Clinton order troops into the Oregon Territory (they would be known as the Green Battalion) to expand America's influence. He also gave preference to the fur companies in the region in an attempt to remove the Hudson Bay Company's near monopoly on beaver pelts and supplies in the region. While this helped the US economy Britain was unimpressed and there were many skirmishes. Many Americans began to call for war and the Democratic-Republican Party, despite Clinton's best efforts, collapsed.

The President is slightly popular in the North, and very unpopular in the South.

The Election of 1828 Signups begin here, now and go until my return. Please state your candidate and their membership to either of these 3 parties, or if they are an independent.

The Nullification Party: Founded by John C. Calhoun in response to the Tariff Policies, Bank encouragement, and Northern cabinet. Primarily Southerners opposed to the Federal Government.

The Protectionist Party: Pro-Peace with Britain. Founded by Henry Clay and President DeWitt Clinton, this Party favors the National Bank and a high Tariff. Its rank includes men such as John Q. Adams and other Northerners.

The American Party: Pro-War towards Britain. Composed Primarily of Moderates and Conservatives who oppose some of the acts committed by the Federal Government under President Clinton. Primarily western and southern citizens including Andrew Jackson

Spamage
spamage
United States

« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2013, 10:02:38 PM »

President DeWitt Clinton - The Protectionist Party

OOC: Is Calhoun the VP?

Yes, but he betrayed Clinton like he did Jackson OTL
Spamage
spamage
United States

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2013, 11:30:47 AM »

Next game'll start this evening.
Spamage
spamage
United States

« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2013, 09:40:33 PM »

I'm allowing this due to the withdrawal of Jackson and Van Buren
Spamage
spamage
United States

« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2013, 01:45:09 AM »

Tomorrow, I've been busier than expected with personal issues.
Spamage
spamage
United States

« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2013, 10:49:20 PM »

John Randolph (AM-VA)/ Martin Van Buren (AM-NY) 621,360 (51.78%) 136 Electoral Votes
John Quincy Adams (PT-MA)/ John Sergeant (PT-PA) 578,640 (48.22%) 131 Electoral Votes

Americans voted with their heart, not their head in the 1828 Election. The nation was riled up for war and voted narrowly for the only pro-war candidate in the race, despite urgings otherwise. While Adams did much better than any Federalist had in expanding out of the Northeast, he was overlooked by many westerners and southerners. He won the Northeast, which was not only his home but was also wary of yet another war with Britain, but his percentages in Southern states such as Alabama and Mississippi was under 10%.
Spamage
spamage
United States

« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2013, 10:52:15 PM »

working on questions for Randolph's term. After their completion they will be PMed, I'll take the results, write a summary, and we can start 1832. Congrats Madmanmotley
Spamage
spamage
United States

« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2013, 02:15:43 PM »

John Randolph was sworn in as President in March of 1829. The foreign situation hadn’t cooled in the slightest and the nation was on edge. Contrary to his party’s beliefs Randolph declared in his inauguration that he would not declare war of Britain. Many prominent American Party members called him a turncoat and a Protectionist and his popularity began to decline.
   The criticism of the President stopped abruptly however, when it was learned that a large contingent of the British Army was being sent to Canada with the sole purpose being to intimidate the United States. The President, realizing the gravity of the situation, sent his Secretary of State William Crawford abroad to conjure alliances with European nations. He landed in Spain where he found the government was preoccupied with the situation in their New World Colonies. France was war weary following Napoleon and refused Crawford’s advances. Prussia was staunchly pro-Britain and decried Crawford for even trying to gain an alliance with them. Prussia alerted Britain of what America was doing, much to the annoyance of America, and Crawford sped north to Russia, who seriously considered the proposals but declined on the grounds that it would give them little to gain.
   In response to the United States’ attempt to create alliances with European nations, Parliament ordered all Royal Navy vessels to fire at will upon American merchant ships. Tensions escalated and in response to the orders of Parliament President John Randolph called for a surprise attack to be launched to the fleet of British ships, containing a large amount of soldiers, heading to Canada. It was a success and although America was forced to retreat, more British ships and men were killed than those of the Americans. Morale spiked and Congress declared war on Britain in July of 1830. The Americans made large gains in the midterms, owing to successes in the war.
   Victory wouldn’t continue for long however, and the American Navy over extended itself. Acting on orders from President Randolph a blockade of Canada was attempted but was easily broken by the Royal Navy. The Americans were forced to retreat back south to Boston and Virginia with their morale depleted.
   The sea was not to be the only battlefield in the Third War of American Independence (what leading American newspapers called the conflict). President Randolph coordinated with William Henry Harrison and Andrew Jackson and had each man lead an army into Canada to attack Quebec and Ontario respectively. Harrison enjoyed great success heading Northeast while Jackson got bogged down after repeated assaults by Native Americans. The British were holding their own on some level in Canada.
   While much of America supported the war, there were those who vocally opposed it. Several Protectionist newspapers, primarily in New England, criticized the government and the military. The President refused to suspend habeas corpus, much to the approval of Henry Clay and John Q. Adams.
   As the war dragged on the President soon came to believe that foreign policy would be the way to victory. Using the unrest of the war, people in Ireland and India began to attack British troops. Rioting was extensive in Dublin and in Delhi military bands assembled against the British East India Trading Company and British soldiers. While most European nations ignored these infant revolutions, Congress gave extensive loans to them calling the men fighting “brothers in arms”.
   Another way the President hoped to tackle the British advantage was with the Russian Empire, who had been sympathetic to America since the days of Catherine the Great. A group of foreign ministers were sent to St. Petersburg and within 4 months, after extensive negotiating, Russia agreed to enter the war. Settler in Alaska launched attacks on the northern territories in Canada and helped the American “Green Battalion” which took Ft. Vancouver, make further gains.
   With Russia’s entry into the war, other nations grew antsy and began to enter the conflict themselves. Prussia went to war with Russia and America and Austria went to war against Prussia and the UK. Spain and France considered their options, but largely planned on staying out of the fighting.

Election of 1832-
   It was in this environment the Election of 1832 approached. Both political parties (the Americans and the Protectionists) agreed to hold primaries so only 1 candidate would be nominated. (W will start in Jan 1832 with Primaries in June and the Election in Nov.) Many candidates would arise and, while polling showed the President the most favored, there was the chance for competition.

48 hours for more people to join, y'all who have already declared before this post are on my list. Smiley
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies