Balance of Power (Sign Up/Rules/Commentary Thread)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 09:53:38 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  Balance of Power (Sign Up/Rules/Commentary Thread)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 19
Author Topic: Balance of Power (Sign Up/Rules/Commentary Thread)  (Read 30585 times)
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #200 on: May 12, 2014, 01:29:47 PM »

It appears that fears that the war we inserted ourselves into would be without any benefit to us was unmerited.  In exchange for placing our men and ships at the service of the Kaliph, we've gotten not one, but two, shiny medals.

Actually, three shiny medals.

The Honorable Senator is not only poor at counting. His memory is not very good either. The Ottoman Empire placed its warships and troops at American disposal during the Venezuelan crisis not not out of desire for monetary or territorial gains (which were none), but out of our partnership with Columbia.

Only a feeble-minded isolationists, that still believe earth is flat, does not understand what partnership between nations are about. We do not suspect the Senator of being an ignorant. He is just playing his dishonest card.

In exchange for placing your forces at service in a cold war, we placed our forces at service in a hot war.  It does not take much in the way of smarts to see who got the better of that deal.  If it were not for our needless involvement in Old World squabbles, we could have easily have handled the crisis in Venezuela without outside involvement.

As for counting medals, it made little sense to count the one awarded to the commander of the American squadron of the Ottoman fleet, for that is what our President has made it.
The US Navy's Mediterranean Task Force is ordered to- as always- support our Ottoman allies
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #201 on: May 12, 2014, 01:34:49 PM »
« Edited: May 12, 2014, 01:37:07 PM by President William McKinley »

The Senator is as usual being shortsighted... we do not need to reap immediate tangible benefits if the benefits will show themselves over the next several decades. By standing firm with our allies- we prove ourselves to be a nation to be reckoned with. Our alliances make us safer. The Tsar did indeed offer the Commander Islands which I chose no to accept....I felt that accepting a territorial prize would distract from the purpose of the war, which was to stand with our allies. If another great conflict arises- and I pray it does not!- my successor at the time will understand why I did what I did
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #202 on: May 12, 2014, 04:59:25 PM »

In exchange for placing your forces at service in a cold war, we placed our forces at service in a hot war.

First: when we've sent our forces to the Carribean, everybody, and their grandmother, was sure this is soon going to become a "hot" war. Our troops were not send for a show, but to be ready and engage.

Second: Yeah, supporting our operations from sea against Bulgaria, that probably has no navy to begin with, is going to be such a "hot" experience.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Just for the record: the United States did not ask us to send our forces. We offered it voluntarily. Can't see anything wrong with that.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Now, sir, that way really low. You may disagree most strongly with the President's decisions, but insulting a professional officer who is doing his job as he swore to do is another matter.

I hope American soldiers and sailors will take note of your rude remarks.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #203 on: May 12, 2014, 09:43:56 PM »

In exchange for placing your forces at service in a cold war, we placed our forces at service in a hot war.

First: when we've sent our forces to the Carribean, everybody, and their grandmother, was sure this is soon going to become a "hot" war. Our troops were not send for a show, but to be ready and engage.

Second: Yeah, supporting our operations from sea against Bulgaria, that probably has no navy to begin with, is going to be such a "hot" experience.

I was under the impression that our navy had been part of the force that engaged the Russians in the Black Sea, and they certainly did engage the Russians in the Pacific.  That is the hot war I was referring to.
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #204 on: May 12, 2014, 10:07:25 PM »

This says it all

Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #205 on: May 12, 2014, 10:15:19 PM »

OOC: Calling it Turkmenistan isn't really accurate either. The new...thing in Central Asia probably won't stay a single country for long.

Precisely. For the time being, I changed it to Turkmenistan and made a few suggested changes, but I have some very fun (read: bloody and violent) ideas for Central Asia. I will have the turn ready by the end of the night or tomorrow in the afternoon!

As I mentioned before, Khiva, Bukhara, and Kokand would be the obvious three-way split if the pre-Russian governance was reinstated.  Splitting into four ethnic states ala the Soviet republics would be highly unlikely. If it did happen, there would be one at least one more ethnicity to consider since the Soviets merged the bourgeois Sarts into the rural Uzbeks.  Maybe two more if the Karakalpaks gained a state of their own in the Amu Darya river delta.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #206 on: May 12, 2014, 10:31:57 PM »

So does this:
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #207 on: May 12, 2014, 10:56:00 PM »

Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #208 on: May 14, 2014, 12:26:53 AM »

The House of Saud waits for the proposed treaty and the creation of an Arabic state, and it is advisable not to make them wait too long.

So the Sauds conquered the Rashids earlier in this game ahead of schedule? In 1900, the Sauds were in exile in Kuwait, tho by 1904 in OTL they had regained Riyadh, which is why that city is the Saudi capital.  I would have thought that given the British love of divide and conquer that they would not have supported a complete Saudi takeover of the interior without at least giving the Rashids a chance to adjust to the circumstances.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #209 on: May 14, 2014, 07:19:08 AM »

To: Kingdom of France

The Adriatic League would be happy to discuss how to deal with this problem.

Well, I guess that can cause a small diplomatic incident Tongue Wink
Spamage
spamage
United States

« Reply #210 on: May 14, 2014, 10:29:54 AM »

The House of Saud waits for the proposed treaty and the creation of an Arabic state, and it is advisable not to make them wait too long.

So the Sauds conquered the Rashids earlier in this game ahead of schedule? In 1900, the Sauds were in exile in Kuwait, tho by 1904 in OTL they had regained Riyadh, which is why that city is the Saudi capital.  I would have thought that given the British love of divide and conquer that they would not have supported a complete Saudi takeover of the interior without at least giving the Rashids a chance to adjust to the circumstances.

I never really had a say, they kind've just appeared.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #211 on: May 14, 2014, 01:59:49 PM »

Being a student of Arab and Islamic studies, I am indeed very embarassed to miss this thing.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #212 on: May 14, 2014, 02:11:43 PM »

Being a student of Arab and Islamic studies, I am indeed very embarassed to miss this thing.

Being entirely honest, I chose to entirely ignore the Rashids and went with an oversimplified version of events for Arabia (with the House of Saud presumably defeating all other factions with British backing). To make this game 100% realistic would take much more research and much more time for me than it already takes, time which I simply do not have, which is why I either ignore some facts, modify others and make mistakes from time to time.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #213 on: May 14, 2014, 03:26:05 PM »

Being entirely honest, I chose to entirely ignore the Rashids and went with an oversimplified version of events for Arabia (with the House of Saud presumably defeating all other factions with British backing). To make this game 100% realistic would take much more research and much more time for me than it already takes, time which I simply do not have, which is why I either ignore some facts, modify others and make mistakes from time to time.

Oh it's a reasonable enough butterfly.  Of course, if the Sauds prove too pesky, the British could decide to back the Rashids in their efforts to retake the interior.  Rashidi Arabia has a certain ring to it, does it not?
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #214 on: May 14, 2014, 04:18:57 PM »

A "private" letter to certain members of the Democratic National Committee.  I am flattered to hear that some individuals have considered placing my name in nomination at the upcoming convention. However, I must decline.  While I am proud of my stance in defending liberty when she was most in need at any time since the Civil War, I cannot deny that I would be divisive and unlikely to win in November.

Indeed, if we are to win, we will need to strike where the Republicans are weak, in domestic issues, and not where they are strong.  I think one of our capable governors would be best for the head of our ticket, and possible the tail as well.  From the west, Governors Sparks of Nevada and Toole of Montana as well as former Governors Ormon of Colorado and Hunt of Idaho would send a strong message of our support for labor.  Governor Smith of Maryland has an excellent record on education. Governor Garvin of Rhode Island has made a name for himself as a diligent enemy of corruption despite being handicapped by a Republican legislature that has stripped the governor's office there of many powers precisely because a Democrat has managed to win not merely election to that office, but reelection for the first time since well before the Civil War.

All these are excellent choices, but while it may be pride in a fellow citizen of the Show Me State, I think the best choice of all would be my own State's governor, Alexander Monroe Dockery.  During his ten years in the U.S. House he earned acclaim as the "Watchdog of the Treasury" and that record he has only embellished as governor.  Furthermore, the upcoming World's Fair in St. Louis this year will give him ample opportunities to interact with foreign dignitaries and to establish himself as a credible diplomat. I think Governor Dockery has the best chance of winning back the White House and thus undoing the damage McKinley has caused this country in the past eight years.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #215 on: May 16, 2014, 12:20:36 PM »

I'd like to remind the Tsar that half of his Black Sea Fleet- which would be his primary unit to attack the Ottomans- is now in the Sultan's hands. He should consider that he is in a position of weakness if he were to intervene on behalf of Bulgaria... which I urge him not to do, as I was rather enjoying peace!

While I applaud the newfound sentiments of the President in favor of peace, I do hope this does not prove a passing fancy on his part.  It would be a shame if he decides to intervene in a war that the Porte should be able to easily manage on its own considering the weakened state of Russia due to its exhaustion from war.  The Turks should be able to subdue the Bulgars on their own and wrest land from them without any accomplices.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #216 on: May 16, 2014, 02:54:24 PM »

It looks like Europe is confused by the Haplessburg Emperor trying to sign a Franco-Italian treaty.  This no doubt is because normally Europe's royals are able to keep their imbecility hidden from public view.  Perhaps this lapse helps to explain why the Dual Monarchy appears to be breaking to pieces under the strain of war.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #217 on: May 16, 2014, 03:20:51 PM »

MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #218 on: May 18, 2014, 08:28:19 AM »

I'd like to remind the Tsar that half of his Black Sea Fleet- which would be his primary unit to attack the Ottomans- is now in the Sultan's hands. He should consider that he is in a position of weakness if he were to intervene on behalf of Bulgaria... which I urge him not to do, as I was rather enjoying peace!

While I applaud the newfound sentiments of the President in favor of peace, I do hope this does not prove a passing fancy on his part.  It would be a shame if he decides to intervene in a war that the Porte should be able to easily manage on its own considering the weakened state of Russia due to its exhaustion from war.  The Turks should be able to subdue the Bulgars on their own and wrest land from them without any accomplices.

Our American friends has made a gesture. They offered to provide a naval help, mostly of logistic nature, given our fleet is just being reconstructed (courtesy to the British when we weren't friends yet Tongue ). We weren't asking for this aid, since we value our alliance too much to ask for too much, but once offered, it would be extremely impolite to refuse.

There are no and will not be any American troops on the ground because, as the Senator rightly put, we can handle Bulgarians alone.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #219 on: May 18, 2014, 08:45:50 AM »

Anyway, when can we expect the next phase?
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #220 on: May 18, 2014, 11:54:11 AM »

Later today, hopefully, I still have to clear a few issues regarding Austria and Germany.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #221 on: May 18, 2014, 08:34:56 PM »

Later today, hopefully, I still have to clear a few issues regarding Austria and Germany.

MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #222 on: May 20, 2014, 06:30:56 AM »

uote author=Senator Lumine link=topic=190332.msg4168714#msg4168714 date=1400555226]
OOC: Aren't Ceuta and Melilla Spanish?

My mistake, it has been corrected!
[/quote]

Damn remainders of the Spanish Empire! Still confusing us Sad
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #223 on: May 20, 2014, 09:38:41 AM »

uote author=Senator Lumine link=topic=190332.msg4168714#msg4168714 date=1400555226]
OOC: Aren't Ceuta and Melilla Spanish?

My mistake, it has been corrected!

Damn remainders of the Spanish Empire! Still confusing us Sad
[/quote]

I'm halfway surprised that McKinley didn't take them and then sell them to Greece so they could have an overseas empire like he did with the Philippines to Japan. Wink
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #224 on: May 20, 2014, 03:51:13 PM »

When will Cranberry be back to take control of Germany?
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 19  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies