Nick Cannon under fire for "Whiteface" in new album's cover (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 03, 2024, 02:27:40 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Nick Cannon under fire for "Whiteface" in new album's cover (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Nick Cannon under fire for "Whiteface" in new album's cover  (Read 6108 times)
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« on: March 25, 2014, 03:09:03 PM »

I don't know who this guy is, but he needs to fire his make-up people because he doesn't even look white.  He just looks like a light skinned black guy who borrowed some of that red hair dye that Muslims use.

The offensive part to me is the tweet.  I guess he's right about how black people are poor and irresponsible with money.  But, black people eat cream cheese and go to farmer's markets.  He needs to get his facts straight.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2014, 10:30:27 PM »

I wish white people could just be content in the fact that they control and own everything (I mean, they have a viable political party that specifically CATERS TO THEM!) and stop getting in such a tizzy over little things like this. 

And Nick Cannon's a FF for doing something he knew would be offensive to many.
Tell that to a white person from say East St Louis. Racism works both ways bud.

Are there any white people from East St. Louis? 
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2014, 05:38:56 PM »

I guess respect is an old-fashioned concept.

What is this guy doing to disrespect white people?  He's certainly stereotyping white people, but he's doing it in a fairly positive way.  Having good credit and eating locally grown vegetables isn't exactly a negative stereotype.  And, in any case, white middle class people who are being stereotyped are sort of the default of American society so they can't really be marginalized in any significant way. 

If you ask me, this should be more offensive to black people.  By defining things like shopping at a farmer's market as "white," you're reinforcing the black social norms of poor diet that mean black people have more health problems and shorter life spans than white people.  By defining "good credit" as white, you're normalizing the pattern of financial illiteracy among blacks.  And, just by focusing on racial differences in this stereotypical, stupid way, you're creating barriers that ensure black people maintain an inferior position in society.  There's also this undercurrent of masculinity/macho association with black men here that is another discussion entirely.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies