IDS 1: Sentancing Reform Act of 2014 (Signed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 03, 2024, 06:17:47 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  IDS 1: Sentancing Reform Act of 2014 (Signed)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: IDS 1: Sentancing Reform Act of 2014 (Signed)  (Read 2274 times)
Oak Hills
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: July 05, 2014, 10:59:59 AM »

Aye.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #51 on: July 05, 2014, 08:45:19 PM »

Aye
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #52 on: July 06, 2014, 05:07:21 AM »

Do we suppose the courts could handle the amount of additional work this would create for them? Nobody seems to have commented on the potential this has to create Japan-level judicial gridlock.
Mad Deadly Worldwide Communist Gangster Computer God
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #53 on: July 06, 2014, 12:15:35 PM »

Do we suppose the courts could handle the amount of additional work this would create for them? Nobody seems to have commented on the potential this has to create Japan-level judicial gridlock.

Courts deal with appeals all the time, not to mention from those who clog the courts with frivolous cases, which could in fact go down if the prisoners are given tighter sentences but set times to make their appeals.

I'm not going to discount your concerns because they are valid and it's difficult to compare our situation to that of Norway's, but I'd prefer we give this system a try.  Don't forget that liberalized drug policies free up court time, as well, so I wouldn't worry too much.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #54 on: July 06, 2014, 04:14:41 PM »

Courts deal with appeals all the time, not to mention from those who clog the courts with frivolous cases, which could in fact go down if the prisoners are given tighter sentences but set times to make their appeals.

I'm not going to discount your concerns because they are valid and it's difficult to compare our situation to that of Norway's, but I'd prefer we give this system a try.  Don't forget that liberalized drug policies free up court time, as well, so I wouldn't worry too much.

So we figure it balances out with other measures we've taken? I'll point out that this does not change social or political realities. We will still have more than the occasional murderer convicted at 20 and dying in prison at 80. Under this system, that's about 8 or so additional hearings that wouldn't have happened before. Considering that these will be court hearings rather than parole board (the latter being used to dealing with this sort of thing).

Your point about appeals is cogent, and maybe this would actually reduce the amount of court time devoted to murderers compared to what we have now. It's hard to tell though because we don't know how much or how little these hearings would function like appeals. I think we would do well to develop the process beyond just saying that the courts will handle it.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #55 on: July 06, 2014, 06:36:02 PM »

Could you be more specific, PiT?  I plan on signing this bill after the vote is called, but I can submit a fix-it bill or sign an executive order clarifying the process.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #56 on: July 06, 2014, 06:54:44 PM »

Could you be more specific, PiT?  I plan on signing this bill after the vote is called, but I can submit a fix-it bill or sign an executive order clarifying the process.

I don't know too much about how the planned system works in practice, but I think we should set out some basic guidelines to limit time and expenditure involved. I could try to look into the setup and come back with a suggestion.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #57 on: July 07, 2014, 06:32:24 PM »

This bill has been signed.  I acknowledged concerns with the new law in my signing statement.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies