A Public Statement from the Governor of the MidEast.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 22, 2024, 03:13:11 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  A Public Statement from the Governor of the MidEast.
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: A Public Statement from the Governor of the MidEast.  (Read 598 times)
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 19, 2007, 05:18:28 AM »

My fellow citizens.

As I have previously announced, the upcoming April plebicites will I hope lead to a period of discussion within the MidEast about wider issues.

I will be brief.

The first issue is same-sex unions. The question will read.
Do You Believe That Same-Sex Couples Should Be Granted Full Legal Recognition?

The second issue is that of climate change. This question will read.
Do You Believe That A Significant Reduction in Carbon Emmissions Will Help Curb Climate Change?

The polls will be open from Midnight Friday April 20 - Midnight Monday 23 April 2007.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2007, 04:38:00 PM »

Thank you Mr. Governor

I would encourage all Mideasterners to get out and show Atlasia that we can have a decent turnout.  Let's beat all the other regions in turnout!

Inks.LWC
Lt. Governor, Mideast
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2007, 10:26:45 PM »

I would like, as D2 candidate and Mideast resident to encourage high participation.

For the record, I support both measures.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2007, 09:50:16 AM »

I'll just explain my votes:

1. Voted Nay. Same-sex couples shouldn't be married or have civil unions or any recognition similar to marriage, doesn't mean each person isn't equal to anyone else.

2. Voted Aye. A significant reduction would help but it wouldn't stop it. The Earth's climate always changes with the large cycle. Cutting emisions would slow it down and probably not make it as severe but it would never fully stop it.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2007, 08:07:20 PM »

My positions on these matters are well known.

1. I believe that the granting of full legal recognition is an issue of both equal protection and constitutionality. Same-sex couples live the same lives, with the same concerns as every other family unit, sometimes also with children. Whether named marriage or not, to deny these relationships basic rights such as inheritance, next-of-kin authority and partner status for government recognition is at the very least a lack of respect; which contrvenes s13 of the Bill of Rights. Given that that denial is based on their sexuality, then it is also a contravention of s20.

Since I personally do not believe that your sexuality is a choice, to tell people their lives are not as important or relevant as everyone elses is plain cruel.

2. I do believe that carbon emmission is a major factor in our planet's current climate crisis. I do not think that natural cycles can account for the dramatic increase in such a short time.

I think much of the denial of the link between the two is based on a kind of guilt, we caused it... but we can't bring ourselves to admit we can't necessarily have the gas guzzling cars. Many of us have been brought up to believe that we have a right to this, or a right to that. But very rarely is the issue of responsibility given equal measure.

As a planet, we (especially those in the developed world) need to take responsibility for our actions. Only when we recognise we have gone too far, will we be able to make real differences.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies