Senate Confirmation Hearing: Kingpoleon for Secretary of State (Withdrawn)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 02:10:32 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Senate Confirmation Hearing: Kingpoleon for Secretary of State (Withdrawn)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Senate Confirmation Hearing: Kingpoleon for Secretary of State (Withdrawn)  (Read 1179 times)
Clyde1998
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 02, 2016, 07:48:03 PM »
« edited: December 08, 2016, 10:53:47 AM by Clyde1998 »

I open up a 72 hour debating period.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2016, 01:17:50 AM »

As we continue to see a global foreign policy, I am willing to answer any questions. Let me introduce a foreign policy doctrine:

1. We will have a strong, efficient, rarely used military. When we strike, we will strike with all the power we can. We will not be a nation-building country. We will strike hard, we will strike fast, we will reach a deal, and we will withdraw.

2. We will embrace free trade on a country-by-country basis. There will be no loopholes. We can have a multi-country agreement, but any and all terms will be negotiated country by country. I pledge to veto and stop all loopholes to the best of my capability.

3. We will have some certain reasons for limited intervention. Terrorists will be defeated. Terrorists must be defeated. Besides terrorists and genocide, we will only use international interventions when countries refuse to negotiate. We hope to try to democratize nations like India and Turkey to any extent possible.

4. We will build relationships with our allies. The United Kingdom, Germany, Italy, Israel, and our other allies will be encouraged by bold Atlasian diplomacy throughout the world. If possible, I'd like to see the restrictions on the German military raised early.

While these have not been officially approved by President Blair, I will show them to him and work with him on the ones we can agree on. I am willing to answer and elaborate on any of the four points anyone would like me to.
Terry the Fat Shark
Junior Chimp
United States

P P
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2016, 01:39:57 AM »

Although I am no longer a Senator, I hope you will permit me a few questions which will hopefully help my successor determine how to vote.

1. You say you do not want us to nation build, but you say if nations refuse to "negotiate" we will intervene. I really doubt the nations of India and Turkey will negotiate what type of government they use, do not forget as well that the nations of India and Turkey both have nuclear weapons. So, that being said, if Turkey and India do not want to negotiate, would you really start a war with two of our allies, perhaps a war that could turn nuclear, over a type of government?

2. Why do you want to raise the restrictions on the German military?

3. Would you be willing to support the closure of non-essential ( in other words bases in regions of the world that are conflict free and there are no or little threats) military bases?
Bleach Blonde Bad Built Butch Bodies for Biden
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2016, 01:53:17 AM »

In addition to Senator dfwflibertlover's questions, would you please elaborate on what you mean by "veto" loopholes?  Maybe I'm ignorant about a certain law, but I'm not sure what gives the Secretary of State the authority to "veto" something, or undo parts of a law.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2016, 03:07:17 AM »

Dfwlibertylover:

1. The war for democracy will not be won by iron and blood, but inch by inch, word by word. Even a little tiny more democratization of these nations would be one more minor blow struck for the great cause of democracy. We will not, under any circumstances, push any nation armed with nuclear weapons beyond the absolute minimum.

2. By raise, I mean lift. These restrictions are an outdated handicap on a great ally of ours. Germany is no longer at a risk of an authoritarian government seizing control and using a military for evil. Any continuation of these restrictions on Germany endangers the balance of power in Europe as Russia appears to grow more threatening each year.

3. That depends on a base-by-base decision. In places with key allies and strategic points, these bases can serve a purpose both for symbolic and potential friendship and unity. In other places, these may not be necessary.

Ascott:

I intend to stop any such loopholes that I can. Any executive decisions I can make as Secretary of State blocking loopholes on free trade agreements, I will make. Is that clear?
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2016, 03:36:13 AM »

So far, I have some very serious reservations about the nominee's foreign policy philosophy.  It is simply unrealistic (to put it mildly) to expect these nations to democratize 'even a little bit' at gunpoint or otherwise.  Doing so could also make us less safe.  Any movement for democracy must come from the bottom up.  This Republic has no right to enforce its preferred system of governance on countries that do not want it or cannot work with it.

I'm also unclear as to what this purported "minimum" is.  At what point do we start threatening sovereign nations with military action (some of whom don't like us) for not following our demands?

And, I'm still unclear on what you mean by 'vetoing' loopholes.  The Secretary of State has no legal authority to simply "veto" parts of international law or bypass Congress on trade deals or otherwise.  Trade deals that affect Atlasia are typically negotiated by the State Department and then are presented to the Senate for an up-or-down vote.  There is no "veto" to speak of here.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2016, 04:03:17 AM »

Vetoing is not quite the right word. I will work strongly against loopholes and strive to avoid them.

If democratization does not happen, I will not push it. If you will recall, in India there have been some human rights protests. In Turkey, there was an attempted coup against Erdogan. There are very few things I will risk lives for, and unwanted democracy is not one of them.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2016, 10:00:56 AM »

Are there any further questions?
Clyde1998
United Kingdom

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2016, 09:52:51 PM »

I open this up to a vote.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2016, 10:28:24 PM »

I appreciate the nominee for taking the time to answer our questions.

Unfortunately, upon careful consideration, I do not feel that Kingpoleon is prepared to take on the position of Secretary of State at this time.  I vote Nay.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2016, 10:54:00 AM »

Nay, India is already a sufficiently democratic government. Plus the person you were nominated by is not a legitimate president. Yankee is.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2016, 12:34:56 PM »
« Edited: December 06, 2016, 12:37:39 PM by President Blair »

Nay, India is already a sufficiently democratic government. Plus the person you were nominated by is not a legitimate president. Yankee is.

Well that's a flat out lie. But I'm not surprised- I remember you were convinced that the gay marriage ruling was illegitimate because the Supreme Court justices had overseen a gay wedding
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2016, 12:53:16 PM »

Nay
Clyde1998
United Kingdom

« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2016, 03:51:45 PM »

Aye
Clyde1998
United Kingdom

« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2016, 10:54:14 AM »

This nomination has been withdrawn by the President.
Senator Cris
Cris
Junior Chimp
Italy

« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2016, 07:51:50 AM »

Aye FTR
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies