Why is the South So United?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 10:14:45 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Why is the South So United?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Why is the South So United?  (Read 1323 times)
Akno21
Junior Chimp
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 21, 2005, 08:47:50 AM »

Unlike any other region in the US, the entire South seems united with each other. Especially from what I can tell on the forum, there is a really strong sense of Dixie Pride that unites people from Florida to Mississippi to Arkansas. Why is that so prevelant in the South, and no where else in the country? (Now that I think more about it, perhaps the only other place in the country that inspires similar pride is NYC)
TheWildCard
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2005, 08:56:02 AM »

Unlike any other region in the US, the entire South seems united with each other. Especially from what I can tell on the forum, there is a really strong sense of Dixie Pride that unites people from Florida to Mississippi to Arkansas. Why is that so prevelant in the South, and no where else in the country? (Now that I think more about it, perhaps the only other place in the country that inspires similar pride is NYC)

I would have to say its because of the Civil War. At the time they were almost like another country. It is almost like when a immigrant comes to America in a way. Yes, all the Greeks that have come over here love America but there is still a great pride in the greatness that our country was. I think this same example can be carried over to the South.
Richard
Richius
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 8.40, S: 2.80

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2005, 09:18:40 AM »

Because liberals teach us that you should not be proud of who you are, and conservatives teach us exactly the opposite.
TomC
TCash101
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2005, 09:38:26 AM »

Because the rest of the country picks on and insults us; we feel a need to stick together. This is true even in the forum, seen in all the jokes about abolishing or merging the SE with another region. This stems from the Civil War to a large degree, but includes the badmouthing and demeaning way Andrew Jackson was attacked as uncouth, the way HL Mencken attacked us during the Scopes Trials, the way we were stereotyped in the 1950/60s as television showed how SOME belligerent, evil people who lived in the South severely mistreated African Americans. The rest of the country, you did this to us, you made us feel the need to stick together and defend our honor. What John Rocker did to NYC (which was tacky, regrettable, and a minority opinion), YA'LL have been doing to us for 150 years. Stop stereotyping us in a demeaning way and we won't feel quite the need to stick together against you.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2005, 09:55:40 AM »

I would have to say its because of the Civil War. At the time they were almost like another country.

Not almost. The south was a part of another country.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2005, 09:56:27 AM »

Because the rest of the country picks on and insults us; we feel a need to stick together. This is true even in the forum, seen in all the jokes about abolishing or merging the SE with another region. This stems from the Civil War to a large degree, but includes the badmouthing and demeaning way Andrew Jackson was attacked as uncouth, the way HL Mencken attacked us during the Scopes Trials, the way we were stereotyped in the 1950/60s as television showed how SOME belligerent, evil people who lived in the South severely mistreated African Americans. The rest of the country, you did this to us, you made us feel the need to stick together and defend our honor. What John Rocker did to NYC (which was tacky, regrettable, and a minority opinion), YA'LL have been doing to us for 150 years. Stop stereotyping us in a demeaning way and we won't feel quite the need to stick together against you.

Finally Cash and I agree on something. Tongue
jokerman
Cosmo Kramer
Junior Chimp
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2005, 10:11:52 AM »

Hell yes!
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2005, 10:49:12 AM »

Of course H.L Mencken attacked you, I don't see how you can't mock the prosecution in that trial. The very idea of putting a teacher on trial for teaching evolution is surpassed in stupidity only by the law itself. You deserved what you got on that one.

If most white southerners were against the mistreatment of blacks, how come the white electorate kept on electing those guys to office? How come when Alabama repealed their inter-racial marriage ban in 2000, 41% voted to keep it?

As for Rocker's comments, while I certainly don't think most southerners are as extreme as him, people do agree with him, StatesRights stated that he did.

Have conservatives not sterotyped left-wingers as well? Has the image of a left-winger not been transferred to a long-haired, volvo-driving, american-flag burning, latte sipping, sissy? The South isn't the only one being steryotyped.
TheWildCard
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2005, 12:00:40 PM »

I would have to say its because of the Civil War. At the time they were almost like another country.

Okay good point! The south did successfully separate from the Union even though it didn't last. My example of course was not as good as some others I could use. I know people in the south feel like their rights and their independence were taken from them.

A better example than immigrants would be territories that now belong to the United States. The Hawaiians and Native Americans have a bit in common with Southerners. All three were brought (back) into the Union by force and the natives of those who live(d) in these areas are very proud of who they are and what their respected areas, territories, countries, and or cultures were.

??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2005, 12:03:28 PM »

Okay good point! The south did successfully separate from the Union even though it didn't last. My example of course was not as good as some others I could use. I know people in the south feel like their rights and their independence were taken from them.

A better example than immigrants would be territories that now belong to the United States. The Hawaiians and Native Americans have a bit in common with Southerners. All three were brought (back) into the Union by force and the natives of those who live(d) in these areas are very proud of who they are and what their respected areas, territories, countries, and or cultures were.

Very true Wildcard! Thats why a vast majority of natives who fought in the civil war fought for the confederacy. And you are right about the greeks. We have our own greek community very close to me (Tarpon Springs)!
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2005, 01:37:09 PM »

Because liberals teach us that you should not be proud of who you are, and conservatives teach us exactly the opposite.

Well, 'be' that the case, it's had no impact on my psyche and I wouldn't say that I'm a conservative. In fact, I'm proud of my Georgia lineage (loyal Confederates and proud Democrats, all)

Dave
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2005, 01:40:07 PM »

Says the guy who hates living in Canada and wants to move to the U.S.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2005, 01:41:52 PM »

The South is just as diverse as anywhere else in the U.S generally speaking, but there's a tendency to act almost uniformly in relations to the rest of the country due to the reasons Cash posted (whether you agree or not, that seems to be how most Southerners see it)
TomC
TCash101
Junior Chimp

« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2005, 01:45:03 PM »
« Edited: June 21, 2005, 01:48:26 PM by Cash »

Of course H.L Mencken attacked you, I don't see how you can't mock the prosecution in that trial. The very idea of putting a teacher on trial for teaching evolution is surpassed in stupidity only by the law itself. You deserved what you got on that one.
Absolutely, but in criticizing what was going on in one small town, he wrote disparaging things about an entire region. It creates a sense of persecution.  On a personal note, my great grandfather wrote a book not long after Scopes that basically pointed out that there were many progressive elements in the South that Mencken didn't bother to point out in his characterization & his sensationalist journalism. There are two kinds of Southerners who respond to the criticisms. The "f#*k you" group and the "were not all like that group. I think you'll find I fit in the "were not all like that" group. We have cities too, you know.

If most white southerners were against the mistreatment of blacks, how come the white electorate kept on electing those guys to office? How come when Alabama repealed their inter-racial marriage ban in 2000, 41% voted to keep it?
Why do Americans keep voting against their ecopnomic interests. Why do Americans elect reps who serve corporate America, even though about 80% of Americans don't trust corporate America? Your question is mighty oversimpliefied. 41% of people who voted in Ala were wrong. It's why I don't believe rights should be taken away by a simple majority. You'll find that's the main reason I won't be voting statesrights.

As for Rocker's comments, while I certainly don't think most southerners are as extreme as him, people do agree with him, StatesRights stated that he did.
I used it to answer the question in the thread, not defend Rocker. Is it okay for Northerners to make comments about inbreeding in the South? No. You'll find that's one of many reasons Southerners have a defensive nature about the North and big cities, where lots of bad, immoral stuff goes on. Again, he shouldn't have said it but I understand why he did and why many Southerners seemed to side with the persecution of him over the comments.

Have conservatives not stereotyped left-wingers as well? Has the image of a left-winger not been transferred to a long-haired, volvo-driving, american-flag burning, latte sipping, sissy? The South isn't the only one being steryotyped.

Yes, and it pisses me off to no end. In large part why the GOP shouldn't expect my vote anytime soon. I'm saying both stereotypes are wrong, and while it may be human nature to stereotype, it's also human nature to resent being labelled. That's exactly my point and the answer to the ?: "Why is the SOuth so United?
Rob
Bob
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -9.39

« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2005, 03:52:09 PM »

As has been mentioned: the Civil War. If the western states had seceded (for example), I'm sure the West would have the same sense of "unity".
Rob
Bob
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -9.39

« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2005, 03:55:33 PM »

the way HL Mencken attacked us during the Scopes Trials

Mencken was hilarious (and he didn't just attack the South). He was a great man.
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -1.22

« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2005, 04:14:02 PM »

As has been mentioned: the Civil War. If the western states had seceded (for example), I'm sure the West would have the same sense of "unity".

They considered it, early on. I ran across references to the Pacific Republic or the Republic of the Pacific long ago when researching a paper, since the NM Territory would've joined them.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2005, 04:41:17 PM »

Absolutely, but in criticizing what was going on in one small town, he wrote disparaging things about an entire region. It creates a sense of persecution.  On a personal note, my great grandfather wrote a book not long after Scopes that basically pointed out that there were many progressive elements in the South that Mencken didn't bother to point out in his characterization & his sensationalist journalism. There are two kinds of Southerners who respond to the criticisms. The "f#*k you" group and the "were not all like that group. I think you'll find I fit in the "were not all like that" group. We have cities too, you know.

Why do Americans keep voting against their ecopnomic interests. Why do Americans elect reps who serve corporate America, even though about 80% of Americans don't trust corporate America? Your question is mighty oversimpliefied. 41% of people who voted in Ala were wrong. It's why I don't believe rights should be taken away by a simple majority. You'll find that's the main reason I won't be voting statesrights.

I used it to answer the question in the thread, not defend Rocker. Is it okay for Northerners to make comments about inbreeding in the South? No. You'll find that's one of many reasons Southerners have a defensive nature about the North and big cities, where lots of bad, immoral stuff goes on. Again, he shouldn't have said it but I understand why he did and why many Southerners seemed to side with the persecution of him over the comments.

Have conservatives not stereotyped left-wingers as well? Has the image of a left-winger not been transferred to a long-haired, volvo-driving, american-flag burning, latte sipping, sissy? The South isn't the only one being steryotyped.

Yes, and it pisses me off to no end. In large part why the GOP shouldn't expect my vote anytime soon. I'm saying both stereotypes are wrong, and while it may be human nature to stereotype, it's also human nature to resent being labelled. That's exactly my point and the answer to the ?: "Why is the SOuth so United?

No arguments to any of your responses, Cash Smiley
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2005, 07:43:59 PM »

Exactly.  People seem to hold conflicting opinions that they apply to all Southerners: on one hand, they're all moralistic bible thumpers, and on the other hand, they're racist incestuous hicks, so they go around calling us religious hypocritical hicks.  Just because of these exaggerated stereotypes, the South (especially MS and AL) has become a laughing stock of the country.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies