What does the ''camel through a needle's eye'' quote mean? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 06, 2024, 07:40:58 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  What does the ''camel through a needle's eye'' quote mean? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What does the ''camel through a needle's eye'' quote mean?  (Read 2836 times)
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« on: November 08, 2011, 06:25:07 PM »

Jacob, "sell everything you have and give the proceeds to a apocalyptic cult" is not a very progressive model for society either.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2011, 12:53:38 PM »

Jacob, "sell everything you have and give the proceeds to a apocalyptic cult" is not a very progressive model for society either.

I'm kind of hoping someone addresses this point (besides telling me that I should've said "an apocalyptic cult" rather than "a apocalyptic cult").  I've never seen this quote as something particularly useful to cite as an argument for what it's being used for here.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2011, 10:34:29 AM »

He is saying that it is impossible for a rich man to go to heaven. As impossible as a camel going through the eye of a needle.

For what reason? Seems obvious. The rich are such unrepentant sinners that they have no shot.

That's...not the point of the line at all.  People need to give up the things that attach them to this world in order to have a better chance of making it into the next, and the rich simply have more tying them down here (their vast wealth makes secular life comfortable) that it becomes much harder to be willing to think of your place in the Kingdom of Heaven.  Christianity isn't inherently anti-rich: look at Joseph of Arimathea, the phenomenally wealthy supporter of Jesus who bought Jesus' burial cave.  He's a saint now.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies