Nate: Don't Pawn Your Lisa Murkowski Gear Just Yet
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 09, 2024, 12:35:45 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Nate: Don't Pawn Your Lisa Murkowski Gear Just Yet
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Author Topic: Nate: Don't Pawn Your Lisa Murkowski Gear Just Yet  (Read 10361 times)
cinyc
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2010, 08:18:14 PM »

I think so. Obviously Murkowski going third party will help.  As Joe Miller proved during the primary, it doesn't take a lot of money to compete in such a cheap media market.  Miller had a number of weird incidents during the primary and, while no Sharron Angle, could also be more gaffe-prone than Mike Lee over in Utah or whatevsky.

I think it's worth keeping on your watch list, just like I've maintained states like Indiana and Delaware should be kept on your watch list.

Before you comment, at least for the people who actually wish to seriously opine, I strongly suggest reading this and watching this.

1) It's not one cheap media market, it's actually 3 separate, albeit cheap, media markets - Anchorage, Juneau and Fairbanks.  It's a big state.  The Juneau and Fairbanks stations do tend to simulcast the Anchorage newscasts, IIRC, though.

2) McAdams is the mayor of Sitka.  Now, I have nothing against Sitka (never been there), but go look at a map.  Find Sitka.  Notice how far removed from the rest of the state it is.  It's practically Washington State for the folks in Fairbanks.  It might help him win the Southeastern panhandle - but Democrats usually do well in the Southeast, anyway.  So he might take HD-2 if Sitka outvotes Petersburg and Wrangell and the bush-lite HD-5.  Will even Republican-leaning Ketchikan vote for him?  Debatable.  McAdams is no Mark Beigich - the former mayor of the state's largest city (with a little less than half the state's population) and a member of a famous Alaskan political family.

3) If anything, McAdams would be overshadowed and it would become a two-way race between Murkowski and Miller.   The Democrats might be better off if McAdams steps down and let Murkowski run in his stead.  But that would probably piss off most of the remaining Republicans willing to vote for a party-switching Murkowski.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2010, 08:24:29 PM »

Yeah Cinyc, you won't see me arguing that the fundamentals of this race in any way, shape, or form favor of the Democratic candidate.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2010, 10:29:03 PM »

PPP is polling Alaska this weekend (yes, I know, Alaska polling sucks). They've tweeted about it:

"Dems should not be rooting for Murkowski third party run...Crist like effect pulling more from McAdams than Miller"

So no, he shouldn't be. He could very well end up with 10-15% of the vote in a three-way contest.

The only two rules of Alaska polling that I've found after all these years is the following:

1) It sucks.
2) You have to add a few points to the Republican (at minimum - sometimes it's more) to get to the correct result.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2010, 10:56:52 PM »

I highly doubt it, but might be interesting to see how ugly the mud slinging between Miller and Murkowski get its already well past all shades of ugly.
Niemeyerite
JulioMadrid
Junior Chimp
Spain

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -9.04

« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2010, 11:25:01 AM »

Well, a new PPP poll says McAdams has a chance! 47% for Miller and 39% for him.
in a 3 way race, it's miller 38%, murkowski 34% and mcadams 22%.
so yes, he MUST be on your "watch list".
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #30 on: August 30, 2010, 12:28:15 PM »

Alaska Libertarian Party won't swap in Murkowski.

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0810/41590.html

So, basically it's down to winning the primary.  Write-in campaign is the other option, but let's be realistic here...
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #31 on: August 30, 2010, 12:37:15 PM »

makes sense, Murkowski running on the Libertarian line wouldn't make much sense ideologically
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #32 on: August 30, 2010, 12:52:25 PM »

I'm keeping my yellow avatar.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #33 on: August 30, 2010, 01:54:41 PM »

It's too bad the AK Independence Party isn't on the ballot. Sad

Still, a write-in got 18% of the vote in the 1998 gubernatorial election...
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #34 on: August 30, 2010, 02:05:46 PM »

A write-in campaign could be the best possible news for McAdams.
SvenssonRS
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.39, S: -4.35

« Reply #35 on: August 30, 2010, 02:09:07 PM »

Please, please, please stop believing he'll ever have a chance in hell of winning under any circumstance this year.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #36 on: August 30, 2010, 03:00:59 PM »

Please, please, please stop believing he'll ever have a chance in hell of winning under any circumstance this year.
Notice I say nothing about him winning the seat, I'm saying that it would be good news for him.
redcommander
YaBB God
« Reply #37 on: August 30, 2010, 03:40:49 PM »

I think we also need to recognize the possibility that absentee voters could carry Murkowski over the top in the primary.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #38 on: August 30, 2010, 03:42:59 PM »

I think we also need to recognize the possibility that absentee voters could carry Murkowski over the top in the primary.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't a lot of these absentee voters vote as long as a couple weeks ago, when Murkowksi was seen as the easy favorite? I'm certainly not giving hope yet. If she just got 55% of the absentee votes she'll win, by my estimations.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #39 on: August 30, 2010, 05:55:21 PM »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't a lot of these absentee voters vote as long as a couple weeks ago, when Murkowksi was seen as the easy favorite? I'm certainly not giving hope yet. If she just got 55% of the absentee votes she'll win, by my estimations.

Not necessarily.  There are absentees and there are absentees.  No doubt there are many absentees cast in the weeks leading up to the election.   But absentee ballots can be cast on election day in places like Anchorage International Airport or Prudhoe Bay, which (in some cases) stock ballots for all 40 House Districts so those who are away from home can vote.   It's Alaska.  There are many people working odd shifts far from home.

In the past 3 major federal Republican primary elections, absentees broke very slightly (less than a point) against the incumbent when compared to the precinct level vote.  We'll see if that trend continues.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #40 on: August 30, 2010, 09:26:49 PM »

Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #41 on: August 30, 2010, 09:29:01 PM »

Lunar, the Democratic Party is so smart, that's exactly what has gotten them to where they are today. About to
(1) suffer historic losses
(2) to the most extreme right wing Republican party in living memory
(3) just two years after the most failed Republican President in living memory.
Dgov
United States

« Reply #42 on: August 30, 2010, 10:17:13 PM »

Lunar, the Democratic Party is so smart, that's exactly what has gotten them to where they are today. About to

Gee, maybe pushing a leftist agenda on a country that doesn't want it wasn't such a good idea.
Sewer
SpaceCommunistMutant
Junior Chimp
« Reply #43 on: August 30, 2010, 10:21:06 PM »

Gee, maybe pushing a leftist agenda on a country that doesn't want it wasn't such a good idea.

What leftist agenda?
Dgov
United States

« Reply #44 on: August 30, 2010, 10:24:40 PM »

What leftist agenda?

The one you guys have been complaining hasn't been liberal enough since 2009. 
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #45 on: August 30, 2010, 10:30:22 PM »

Most of the people who use the word leftist have no idea what it means. More understanding of the political spectrum is needed.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #46 on: August 30, 2010, 10:39:46 PM »

Wow, Scott McAdams is big ol' bastard, isn't he?
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #47 on: August 30, 2010, 10:43:11 PM »

Perhaps Dgov is right. Perhaps the stimulus, health care, it was all a mistake. I really don't know any more.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #48 on: August 30, 2010, 10:43:48 PM »

Perhaps Dgov is right. Perhaps the stimulus, health care, it was all a mistake. I really don't know any more.

You're such a dramamama Beet!  You can't give up on Keynesian economics because of some dismal poll numbers!
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #49 on: August 30, 2010, 10:44:37 PM »

I don't think I've seen anymore sore over losing a primary election than Beet. Even the Deaniacs got over it in a few months.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies