Do you support the EU? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 09:53:14 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Do you support the EU? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Do you support the EU, or if you lived in Europe would you vote to keep you contury in the European Union
Yes

No

Other

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 60

Author Topic: Do you support the EU?  (Read 1627 times)
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« on: September 01, 2015, 10:18:19 AM »

In theory, yes, and I will vote to stay in - out of lack of a better option. Seeing as Iceland is basically a small town on a cold volcano (and hardly in a great economic shape itself) and Norway is an unusually well-run petrostate, I highly doubt they can really be model countries.

However the institution should really be razed. In particular, I'd abolish the Commission and give the Parliament binding powers.

Icelandic economy is doing great, their tourist sector has never been bigger and unemployment is at a  record low, but yeah, those two countries are special, although your "Norway is a petrostate" line is somewhat exaggerated - and tiresome. Hydroelectric power with attached industries, fisheries and shipping are equally important. Norway simply has a lot of resources, the same goes for Iceland - and both countries having lots of cheap (and clean) electricity gives them a lot of freedom.

I would prefer to cut the EU down to basics - the inner market and a few rules against social and environmental dumping, at thats it. Drop the Euro etc. and all the federalist crap and return to a Europe of Nations. No commission, no parliament, no subsidies, no "foreign policy", keep defence cooperation elsewhere, no Schengen. Just keep it simple.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies