Senate Elections - 2004 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 01:28:38 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Senate Elections - 2004 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Senate Elections - 2004  (Read 110596 times)
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« on: December 29, 2003, 03:35:57 PM »

found it!

Edwards Says Not Interested in Vice Presidency
Sun December 28, 2003 12:19 PM ET

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. Democratic presidential candidate John Edwards of North Carolina said on Sunday he was "absolutely not interested" in a vice presidential slot.
Edwards, a first-term U.S. senator with fewer than five years of political experience, talked optimistically of his chances in the race to take on President Bush next year, despite low poll standings in Iowa and New Hampshire where the first nominating contests begin in January.

Asked if he would agree to run in the second slot with one of eight candidates to be the Democrats' presidential nominee, Edwards said: "I'm absolutely not interested in being vice president. No, the answer to that question is no."

Edwards, who will not seek re-election to the U.S. Senate, said in an interview from his campaign headquarters in Columbia, South Carolina, that he was not dismayed by polls that place him in the single digits in the kick-off states.

"There's no problem," he told "Fox News Sunday." "If you're me and you're here on the ground and you see what's happening, I have a lead here in South Carolina, which will be the third key primary state. In Iowa and New Hampshire, I've been moving up."

As a southerner, the early Feb. 3 contest in South Carolina is make-or-break for Edwards.

A personal injury trial lawyer before being elected to the U.S. Senate from North Carolina in his first run for political office in 1998, Edwards has sounded populist themes while campaigning in the last year.

Leading in most polls is former Vermont Gov. Howard Dean, who began the race as a little-known longshot but parlayed outspoken opposition to the Iraq war and blunt criticism of Bush into the lead.

Edwards is among his chief challengers, along with U.S. Sens. John Kerry of Massachusetts and Joseph Lieberman of Connecticut, Rep. Richard Gephardt of Missouri and retired Gen. Wesley Clark, the former commander of NATO.

Edwards can now be considered a jerk.  Why not accept the VP slot?  He isn't running for his senate seat, what is he going to do?  Sit in his underwear and watch sportscenter reruns all day?

If he didn't want to say outright that he was interested in the VP slot, he just could have said that he doesn't know because he is focusing on his Presidenial campaign.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2003, 04:24:00 PM »

well that leaves either Graham or Clark for VP for Dean.  Do you see anyone else?

Clark said he doesn't want it, and I think graham really wants it.
Maybe Russ feingold.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2003, 04:26:24 PM »

yes Graham wants it and Clark and Dean got into a little scuffle about it and so it would look bad if Dean offered it to him now.

Well Problem with Feingold is that he is running for reelection this year.
Here is a list I made on who i want for VP:

https://uselectionatlas.org/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/leip/ikonboard/topic.cgi?forum=11&topic=68

From the old board
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2003, 06:20:09 PM »

Bayh would be a strong candidate in the general.  He should run this year...but he probably wouldn't get the nomination.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2003, 07:42:55 PM »

Bayh would be a strong candidate in the general.  He should run this year...but he probably wouldn't get the nomination.

He wouldn't get the nom because he is too moderate.
Probably true.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2003, 10:58:49 AM »

http://www.dcpoliticalreport.com/Ratings.htm

good site for reviewing which senate and house races will be close and interesting to watch in 2004.
Thanks for the link.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2003, 11:23:18 AM »

no problem Smiley

I was more interested for the house races as they aren't as well known.
Larry J. Sabato has his nifty fifty.  His whole crystal ball is here:

http://www.centerforpolitics.org/crystalball/

Now we're even.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2003, 11:49:55 AM »

yeah I already know about that one.  In fact I talk directly with Mr Sabato quite regularly and he has even taken some graphics I had for his websites.

no problem Smiley

I was more interested for the house races as they aren't as well known.
Larry J. Sabato has his nifty fifty.  His whole crystal ball is here:

http://www.centerforpolitics.org/crystalball/

Now we're even.

Damn!  We're not even then....
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2004, 03:31:12 PM »

Al Franken might challenge Norm coleman in 2008 in Minnesota.  Not so sure he could win though.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2004, 05:48:20 PM »

Reid barely won in 1998; I think he had 48% of the vote but I don't remember the exact total?
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2004, 03:58:51 PM »

DC's prediction is a little...off.

I saw the Dems lose NC, SC, GA, LA, and ND, and we only pick up AK and IL.  Dems net -3 in my book.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2004, 08:33:55 AM »

I've seen it that that Murkowski might even lose the primary.
No.  Not gonna happen, no prominent Republicans up there, really.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2004, 05:00:52 PM »

Anyone know whose running against the lovely Chuck Schumer?
No prominent Republican.  They basically have conceded that schument will win.  Peter King thought about it but decided against it.

A John Faso-type will run and get creamed.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2004, 08:53:56 AM »

Young Repub,

Unfortunately, it appears that my former home state will be stuck with Charles Shooma as our US Senator.
He has no appeal across the aisle,,,but he doesn't need it because Gore won 60% of the vote here.. Smiley Smiley
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2004, 05:53:13 PM »

I am a big fan of senator Schumer.  I worker a few dozen hours for his campaign in 1998, when we unseater that horror Al D'amato.

Most Republicans dislike Schumer.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2004, 06:18:53 PM »

Setyourselfonfire,

Breaux in Louisiana is retiring.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2004, 12:51:21 PM »

dislike is a kind word for how badly I HATE him.  Worst Senator int he senate, and that is saying something when you have Kerry, Kennedy and Byrd there.

I am a big fan of senator Schumer.  I worker a few dozen hours for his campaign in 1998, when we unseater that horror Al D'amato.

Most Republicans dislike Schumer.
Some Republican state Assemblyman declared his candidacy today.  He's only down 40% in the polls, you never know Cheesy Cheesy

SENATOR Schumer of New York
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies