Do you think secession movements will ever gain serious ground again?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 08, 2024, 04:56:37 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Do you think secession movements will ever gain serious ground again?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Do you think secession movements will ever gain serious ground again?  (Read 3662 times)
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2010, 12:01:57 AM »

Aside from Rick Perry shooting his stupid mouth off last year, I think the only notable secession movements have been in Alaska and Vermont.  In the former's case, the AIP nosedived after Walter Hickel's term, and now they can't break 1% of the vote in gubernatorial elections.  In the latter case, the hubbub (if you can even call it that) died down immediately after Bush left office, and the guy they gave two thirds of the vote to took over.

Uh, both of those secession movements are still very much alive and active.

Active doesn't mean they're gaining SERIOUS ground.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2010, 02:00:14 AM »

Aside from Rick Perry shooting his stupid mouth off last year, I think the only notable secession movements have been in Alaska and Vermont.  In the former's case, the AIP nosedived after Walter Hickel's term, and now they can't break 1% of the vote in gubernatorial elections.  In the latter case, the hubbub (if you can even call it that) died down immediately after Bush left office, and the guy they gave two thirds of the vote to took over.

Roll Eyes  Sure, in the same America where Ron Paul has a legitimate shot at winning a presidential election, and anarchism is a feasible system for society.
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2010, 05:19:31 AM »

Roll Eyes  Sure, in the same America where Ron Paul has a legitimate shot at winning a presidential election, and anarchism is a feasible system for society.

It's funny that when someone says that O'Donnell would not win the general election in Delaware, Libertas demands facts, and yet when he says that Ron Paul will win the Presidency in 2012....
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2010, 08:19:28 AM »

No substantive ones.....
LBJ Revivalist
ModerateDemocrat1990

Political Matrix
E: -5.87, S: -2.87

« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2010, 08:40:11 AM »

I don't know why people here want to associate so much negativity to secession, outside of their centralized government ideology.

Those who love a UNITED States despise secessionist ideals. There is a firm line between being supportive of state's rights and wanting to sever union with this nation totally.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #30 on: September 13, 2010, 04:43:10 PM »

I don't know why people here want to associate so much negativity to secession, outside of their centralized government ideology.

Those who love a UNITED States despise secessionist ideals. There is a firm line between being supportive of state's rights and wanting to sever union with this nation totally.

However, there is no requirement that one who loves the United States opposes secession. Loving an area does not necessarily mean wanting to be politically joined to it. I am sure that there are many Americans who love the United Kingdom, but how many of them do you think want to be united with the U.K. under one government?
Storebought
YaBB God
« Reply #31 on: September 13, 2010, 04:46:53 PM »

Only as a practical matter in the insolvency or military occupation of the "United States."
LBJ Revivalist
ModerateDemocrat1990

Political Matrix
E: -5.87, S: -2.87

« Reply #32 on: September 13, 2010, 04:48:05 PM »

However, there is no requirement that one who loves the United States opposes secession. Loving an area does not necessarily mean wanting to be politically joined to it. I am sure that there are many Americans who love the United Kingdom, but how many of them do you think want to be united with the U.K. under one government?

If you don't want to be politically joined with the US, why do you live here?
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #33 on: September 13, 2010, 04:53:11 PM »

Active doesn't mean they're gaining SERIOUS ground.

And what would constitute "SERIOUS ground"? Firing on Fort Sumter?

If secession is to be achieved, it has to be pursued the correct way. Barring some cataclysmic event, it's not going to happen overnight.

Anyway, as I mentioned, this year is actually the first time ever that the Second Vermont Republic is running it's own candidates, so Joe's claim that Obama somehow killed the secession movement is pretty blatantly false. Secession movements are getting more organized and better mobilized to effect change each and every day now.
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #34 on: September 13, 2010, 04:55:55 PM »

The two have nothing to do with each other. Americans have roots here with the land, the people, the institutions they choose to associate with. The regime in Washington is irrelevant to why people stay here, except perhaps in the case of the power-mad politicians themselves.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #35 on: September 13, 2010, 04:57:56 PM »

Generally, talk of secession is used by passionate opponents of a President/congress to gain attention. If a serious movement does arise, it will be over issues that don't even exist at this time, no doubt.

It would essentially take a region to develop a culture so radically different from the rest of the country that those states/regions would be, from all social (though not political) perspectives, a separate nation before the secession movement gained traction.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #36 on: September 13, 2010, 05:17:33 PM »

Anyway, as I mentioned, this year is actually the first time ever that the Second Vermont Republic is running it's own candidates, so Joe's claim that Obama somehow killed the secession movement is pretty blatantly false.

Well I guess I stand corrected.  After all, the SVR does in fact have a phenomenal 125 members!  Who knows how many more half-dozens (or even dozens!) more members they could have recruited after they stopped issuing memberships five years ago.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #37 on: September 13, 2010, 05:19:49 PM »

Here's the problem. Secessionist movements put themselves in a highly, highly polarizing situation in which they are at a disadvantage and their opponents are at an advantage. In politics, that's generally the worst position that you can possibly put yourself in.
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #38 on: September 13, 2010, 05:44:45 PM »

Anyway, as I mentioned, this year is actually the first time ever that the Second Vermont Republic is running it's own candidates, so Joe's claim that Obama somehow killed the secession movement is pretty blatantly false.

Well I guess I stand corrected.  After all, the SVR does in fact have a phenomenal 125 members!  Who knows how many more half-dozens (or even dozens!) more members they could have recruited after they stopped issuing memberships five years ago.

Yes, the movement has outgrown the stage of issuing membership cards. A lot of organizations have stopped issuing official membership cards considering it's a pointless and outdated practice, plus it gives fedgov and hate groups like the SPLC an easy enemies list to target.

Thus your giving a count of official members from five years ago means nothing. The movement for secession is far greater than the people who actively joined the SVR organization in it's infancy. It is a grassroots movement, not a top-down directed organization.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #39 on: September 13, 2010, 06:06:58 PM »

I live here as a matter of pure happenstance. I wouldn't really care one way or the other if California seceded from the United States.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #40 on: September 13, 2010, 06:26:45 PM »

Thus your giving a count of official members from five years ago means nothing. The movement for secession is far greater than the people who actively joined the SVR organization in it's infancy. It is a grassroots movement, not a top-down directed organization.

Perhaps you're right.  Maybe the SVR candidates can count on over five hundred real people to vote for them this November!  And who knows, perhaps most of those voters will understand exactly what they just voted for!
Storebought
YaBB God
« Reply #41 on: September 13, 2010, 09:51:06 PM »

I will modify my previous comment: A secession driven entirely by a political process will not happen unless/until the "US" faces some terminal financial crisis -- eg. individual states refusing to accept repayment of their portion of a debt incurred by the US Treasury as a whole.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #42 on: September 14, 2010, 08:48:44 AM »

I think Mississippi seceded and just didn't tell anyone Wink
Zarn
YaBB God

« Reply #43 on: September 15, 2010, 11:49:52 PM »

Excessive breaches of the Constitution could do it.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies