US House Redistricting: New York (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 05:20:12 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  US House Redistricting: New York (search mode)
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: US House Redistricting: New York  (Read 137843 times)
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2012, 07:06:22 PM »

Well there is chatter that a Constitutional deal is in the works, that will effectively make it impossible for there to be a Dem gerrymander in NY ever. If one party controls both houses, it takes a two thirds majority to pass a map. Otherwise it goes to a commission. If power is split, then it takes just a simple majority, and bi-partisan gerrymanders can go on and on - forever and ever, which is just the way NY politicians like it. They want to represent sinecure like seats, not competitive ones. So the specter of the GOP losing the Senate at the wrong time, and being shut out of the state the way the Pubs are in Mass, has had a stake put in its heart. That Pub nightmare will no longer interfere with their sleeping restfully at night.

The Dems are acting very curiously all in all, to say the least. If I were a Dem in NY, I would be furious.  How can they stand to be represented by this passel of wall-to-wall hacks?  

Oh yes indeed, regardless of the situation, the worst possible result is a plan that actually benefits the people the most, instead of the honerable and distinguished gentlemen of the chamber in Albany. They are after all far more important and should take priority. Fairness only aids the little people, which are as stated, little. As result their consider shall be proportional to their relevance.
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2012, 07:23:48 PM »

It would indeed by a nightmare if some sadist dredged up all my old posts for evaluation. I would probably be driven to put such a person on ignore. It would all be just too embarrassing. Tongue

Well you were right in what he did dredge up here. At the time, both of the eliminated seats were held by Democrats so in a way they did end up taking the hit for both. Wink
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2012, 11:40:27 PM »

During what period was that district drawn like that?
Pages: 1 [2]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies