US House Redistricting: Indiana (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 20, 2024, 12:57:06 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  US House Redistricting: Indiana (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: US House Redistricting: Indiana  (Read 28182 times)
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« on: December 22, 2010, 06:49:44 PM »

With a Republican Governor and Republican legislature, Republicans have an opportunity to create a gerrymandered map. However, several leading Republicans claim they are committed to a bi-partisan map, which isn't sitting too well with some, including myself. 10 years ago, Democrats gave us a terrible map to work with on the state level, and they completely ignored geographic similarities when creating the US House Districts. As long as Republicans return things to normal, we're looking at 6-7 GOP seats. The best possibility for Democrats right now is 3 solid seats, with 2 toss-ups.

It'll be interesting to see how this develops.

Ideas I would suggest :
SPLIT INDIANAPOLIS not in two but in four (destroy Carson's district)
Force Donnelly into a primary with Vislowsky (bye bye either one. Most likely Silent Joe)
Create a new district between Stutzman and Vislowsky centered around South Bend in the north and Kokomo in the South (New IN-2 Rep by Jackie Walorski)
Out of the Indy Split Pence, Burton, Rokita, and Young all rep part of Indy

So the delegation would look kinda like this

1.Safe Dem (Vislowsky)
2.Likely GOP (Walorski)
3.Safe GOP (Stutzman)
4.Safe GOP (Rokita)
5.Safe GOP (Burton)
6.Safe GOP (Pence)
7.Toss Up (Scott)
8.Lean GOP (Bucshon)
9.Likely GOP (Young)
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2010, 08:51:32 PM »

With a Republican Governor and Republican legislature, Republicans have an opportunity to create a gerrymandered map. However, several leading Republicans claim they are committed to a bi-partisan map, which isn't sitting too well with some, including myself. 10 years ago, Democrats gave us a terrible map to work with on the state level, and they completely ignored geographic similarities when creating the US House Districts. As long as Republicans return things to normal, we're looking at 6-7 GOP seats. The best possibility for Democrats right now is 3 solid seats, with 2 toss-ups.

It'll be interesting to see how this develops.

Ideas I would suggest :
SPLIT INDIANAPOLIS not in two but in four (destroy Carson's district)
Force Donnelly into a primary with Vislowsky (bye bye either one. Most likely Silent Joe)
Create a new district between Stutzman and Vislowsky centered around South Bend in the north and Kokomo in the South (New IN-2 Rep by Jackie Walorski)
Out of the Indy Split Pence, Burton, Rokita, and Young all rep part of Indy

So the delegation would look kinda like this

1.Safe Dem (Vislowsky)
2.Likely GOP (Walorski)
3.Safe GOP (Stutzman)
4.Safe GOP (Rokita)
5.Safe GOP (Burton)
6.Safe GOP (Pence)
7.Toss Up (Scott)
8.Lean GOP (Bucshon)
9.Likely GOP (Young)

Very dangerous and as has been pointed out before it would make IN at risk to be represented by 6 or 7 Dems in the right environment like in 1974 (which followed a similar redistricting plan in 1971).

But how could the GOP stick it to the Dems like they did us in 2000 when they eliminated the old tenth? This may be the best way.  Is there a better way?
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2010, 12:29:06 AM »

So my plan to get rid of silent Joe is ok. Kinda like this.... The Dems gerrymander Kokomo. So we undo that and gerrymander Granger into the first. Solidify the new 2nd as a safe GOP seat for Jackie Walorski  and leave it at that.

Sorry you folks don't share my sentiment of knocking 2 Democrats out. But those two are bad representatives and must be reapportioned out of office post haste.

We don't swing that badly. Except 2008 we have been solidly GOP since the 1960's

I'm leaving  Visclosky in a better spot. My targets are Carson and silent Joe and I think you can knock both out without getting greedy.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2011, 07:40:52 PM »

Also remember neither the first or seventh are VRA protected. When we lost our tenth the Dems also divided Kokomo from it's more Republican historical district mates. So we can carve Indy if we want to. That is if Gov Daniels allows.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2011, 11:20:55 PM »

I am aware of that. That's why it Indy must be split in four
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2011, 10:10:55 AM »

You do know that had the GOP had redistricting control in 2001, Indy would've got split up drastically instead of the monstrosity of a map we have now.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2011, 09:40:23 PM »

Ok but is there any way to make the "Indy" District to where it could be won by a Republican?
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2011, 11:07:50 PM »

I think there are enough conservative blacks to maybe toss it up.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2011, 10:50:14 PM »

And why did you guys split Howard County? You center a district around Howard County not split it. In a GOP favored map you don't split a major GOP county as mine is. Put Granger in the new 1st but South Bend/Elkhart/Kokomo is the central population centers for a new second.

I do agree Donnelly is stick a fork in him he's done.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2011, 02:30:51 PM »

This map is to conciliatory to the Dems. Though it does put Indy in play for the GOP.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2011, 03:33:44 PM »

This map is to conciliatory to the Dems. Though it does put Indy in play for the GOP.

No it doesn't.

It would put Rokita in a race against Carson.
Tea Party for the flip IN-7
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2011, 04:13:53 PM »

The proposed map in question would put him in the seventh. So he would have to face Carson if this ends up ad the final map.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2011, 12:17:42 PM »

If that's the case then the GOP might've shot themselves in the foot. Not good
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2011, 09:53:41 AM »

We will be taking back our regular spot as the first state to declare for the GOP.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2011, 10:54:31 PM »

The GOP kinda screwed up on the map here. They should have at least put South Bend in the 1st. The map would have still looked pretty neat and it would have probably made IN-02 several points more Republican.

Putting both Jackie and Silent Joe into the first is a royal no-no. Because that's what you would do if you put South Ben in the 1st
Also putting Rokita in the 7th and splitting Kokomo aren't things many republicans I know like all that well, but it could lead to an intresting GOP 4th district primary. It looks like I would be moved to that 4th district.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2011, 01:21:02 AM »

@Lewis your Fourth district would be Kokomo-Lafyette.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies