Irish general election, 26th Feb 2016 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 31, 2024, 12:58:43 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Irish general election, 26th Feb 2016 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Irish general election, 26th Feb 2016  (Read 99253 times)
Halgrímur
Rookie
« on: November 08, 2015, 04:05:46 PM »

I only just started paying attention to this election, and I have a question. It looks like Sinn Fein are polling in a strong third place and they seem pretty set to be the main left-of-centre party in the next Dail. Has Sinn Fein ever held such a strong position, and what are the implications if the polls stand?

Part 1 of your question: No.

Part 2 of your question: The media and political establishment in the Republic are doing their utmost to damage SF. Labour and FF are trying, as best they can, to put the boot into a perceived threat to their support bases. We will probably get a FG government propped up by FF at the behest of the previously-mentioned establishment to keep the barbarians from the gate.

Any chance Gerry Adams steps down to let someone untainted (both of terrorism and "I knew my brother raped my niece and I didn't do squat about it") like Mary Lou McDonald lead them into the election? If so, would that be an advantage for them?
Halgrímur
Rookie
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2015, 04:22:10 PM »

Any chance Gerry Adams steps down to let someone untainted (both of terrorism and "I knew my brother raped my niece and I didn't do squat about it") like Mary Lou McDonald lead them into the election?

No.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Probably less than you would think. SF could select Aung San Suu Kyi as leader and the groups who detest SF would still detest SF. The Adams who was never in the IRA is also the Adams who is seen as having helped to stop the war.

Okay, thanks for the answer.

Isn't it generally assumed by almost everyone that he was in the IRA?
Halgrímur
Rookie
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2015, 05:40:48 PM »

Any chance Gerry Adams steps down to let someone untainted (both of terrorism and "I knew my brother raped my niece and I didn't do squat about it") like Mary Lou McDonald lead them into the election?

No.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Probably less than you would think. SF could select Aung San Suu Kyi as leader and the groups who detest SF would still detest SF. The Adams who was never in the IRA is also the Adams who is seen as having helped to stop the war.

Okay, thanks for the answer.

Isn't it generally assumed by almost everyone that he was in the IRA?

Yes.

But the result of him actually admitting it would be a wave of synthetic outrage from the usual suspects North and South and another likely arrest like the one in the run-up to last year's local and European elections. IRA membership is still an indictable offence.

Yeah, the lack of a general amnesty was a weakness in the GFA (also leading to absurdities like Chief-of-Staff Martin McGuinness officially dropping out back in 1974...). A South African style Truth and Reconciliation-process would have been much better. 

I just wondered why you didn't put it as "who was never in the IRA", so had to ask.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies