Austrian Elections & Politics 2.0 (Presidential runoff re-vote: 4 Dec. 2016)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 21, 2024, 03:59:52 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Austrian Elections & Politics 2.0 (Presidential runoff re-vote: 4 Dec. 2016)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 62 63 64 [65] 66 67 68 69 70 ... 81
Poll
Question: Who would you vote for in the Presidential runoff on May 22 ?
Norbert Hofer (FPÖ)
Alexander Van der Bellen (Greens)
I'd invalidate the ballot
I'd stay home
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: Austrian Elections & Politics 2.0 (Presidential runoff re-vote: 4 Dec. 2016)  (Read 290845 times)
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1600 on: September 12, 2016, 12:01:58 PM »

If I were an Austrian constitutional lawyer right now, I would already be starting writing my appeal on the Dec 4th election for, you know, the fact that some people will apparently be voting in a runoff produced by a first round where they were not qualified to vote. It makes absolutely no sense.

Nah, not really: In Austria, roughly as many people are born as are dying. Which means not only will ~50.000 first-time voters be added for the delayed election, but also ~50.000 people removed, who died in the last 8 months.

Which means the number of eligible voters will virtually remain the same. Besides, old people who died and first-time voters both lean a bit towards VdB over Hofer. So, the inclusion of the new voters won't really impact the result.
DL
Canada

« Reply #1601 on: September 12, 2016, 12:03:17 PM »

If I were an Austrian constitutional lawyer right now, I would already be starting writing my appeal on the Dec 4th election for, you know, the fact that some people will apparently be voting in a runoff produced by a first round where they were not qualified to vote. It makes absolutely no sense.

Yes, but about 30,000 people who voted in the original vote have already died of natural causes and so their votes have gone to the big ballot box in the sky...that already makes it impossible to perfectly replicate the first runoff!
DL
Canada

« Reply #1602 on: September 12, 2016, 12:04:52 PM »

Besides, old people who died and first-time voters both lean a bit towards VdB over Hofer. So, the inclusion of the new voters won't really impact the result.

Really, I thought Hofer's voted skewed very old and that therefore the old people who have died in the last six months would be mostly Hofer voters
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #1603 on: September 12, 2016, 12:07:39 PM »

Besides, old people who died and first-time voters both lean a bit towards VdB over Hofer. So, the inclusion of the new voters won't really impact the result.

Really, I thought Hofer's voted skewed very old and that therefore the old people who have died in the last six months would be mostly Hofer voters

No, Hofer's best age-group is the working-age one (30-60). The taxpaying crowd is the most Hofer-voting, for obvious reasons. He got 55% among them, according to the election analysis survey from SORA.

Young people (16-30 year old) voted slightly for VdB (53%).

As well as old people, over 60 years: Also with around 52-53%.
Zanas
Zanas46
France

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1604 on: September 14, 2016, 10:41:40 AM »

Yes, but about 30,000 people who voted in the original vote have already died of natural causes and so their votes have gone to the big ballot box in the sky...that already makes it impossible to perfectly replicate the first runoff!
Yes, but that happens all the time. A few hundred or thousand people die between a first round and a runoff, and that really can't be avoided, but intellectually, letting new people participate in what is supposed to be the same election is disturbing, at least to a psephomaniac and law professional like me.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #1605 on: September 14, 2016, 11:56:17 AM »

Yes, but that happens all the time. A few hundred or thousand people die between a first round and a runoff, and that really can't be avoided, but intellectually, letting new people participate in what is supposed to be the same election is disturbing, at least to a psephomaniac and law professional like me.

On the one hand you might be right: People who were not allowed to vote in the first round, should also not be allowed to vote in the runoff, for purity reasons and so that the result won't be challenged again.

But on the other hand, there will be a new amended law with a constitutional 2/3 majority which will allow these first-time voters to take part in the election and even the FPÖ will support this. So, it's definitely legitimate and will almost certainly be upheld by the Constitutional Court if someone dares to appeal again ...
Zanas
Zanas46
France

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1606 on: September 14, 2016, 05:17:50 PM »

On the one hand you might be right: People who were not allowed to vote in the first round, should also not be allowed to vote in the runoff, for purity reasons and so that the result won't be challenged again.

But on the other hand, there will be a new amended law with a constitutional 2/3 majority which will allow these first-time voters to take part in the election and even the FPÖ will support this. So, it's definitely legitimate and will almost certainly be upheld by the Constitutional Court if someone dares to appeal again ...
Yeah I guess in that sense you can argue it was somehow the untainted will of the people's representatives, so it should be alright.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #1607 on: September 14, 2016, 11:45:58 PM »

The VdB camp got a major problem with the election delay to Dec. 4:

Contrary to the Hofer-posters, the VdB-posters all had the date Oct. 2 printed on them.

Which means VdB needs a new poster series for all of Austria, costing another 1-2 million €.

Hofer can let his campaign posters stand all the way until Dec. 4 ...
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #1608 on: September 15, 2016, 11:10:35 AM »

LOL, I (like millions of others) received my election information card today - to still vote in the Oct. 2 election !

I wonder how many (badly informed) people will show up at their voting precincts on Oct. 2, just to find out nobody is there ...
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #1609 on: September 15, 2016, 12:21:57 PM »

The VdB camp got a major problem with the election delay to Dec. 4:

Contrary to the Hofer-posters, the VdB-posters all had the date Oct. 2 printed on them.

Which means VdB needs a new poster series for all of Austria, costing another 1-2 million €.

Hofer can let his campaign posters stand all the way until Dec. 4 ...
LMAO
M
A
O
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #1610 on: September 15, 2016, 11:13:47 PM »

New Gallup poll (Sept. 13-15, n=600, MoE = +/- 4%):

http://www.oe24.at/oesterreich/politik/Jetzt-wieder-Kopf-an-Kopf/251456740
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #1611 on: September 15, 2016, 11:32:15 PM »

Something I noticed in the last few days while driving around the district here:

VdB currently has like 10 times the number of his election posters along roads, compared with the original runoff. The whole district is full with them, even the smaller towns. In the original runoff, you could hardly see any in the small towns, just in Zell am See and Saalfelden - which have over 10.000 people.

On the other hand, the Hofer-posters are totally missing right now. Hofer seems to target only the urban areas so far, such as the big cities of Vienna/Linz/Salzburg etc.

I think VdB's strategy of advertising more in the rural areas of Austria is better than Hofer's, because I think it's easier for VdB to get more rural voters than Hofer getting urban voters ...
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #1612 on: September 15, 2016, 11:43:58 PM »

The amended election law that was introduced into parliament yesterday btw did not include counting the postal ballots on Sunday night already. The parties could not agree on this yet, they will likely overhaul the election law again early next year. So, for the re-vote postal ballots will be counted on Monday, December 5.

But they set the new election date yesterday, included the 16-year olds and naturalized first-time voters and a new set of absentee ballots from the state printery.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #1613 on: September 17, 2016, 02:32:11 AM »

The FPÖ has come up with the idea that both campaigns are hitting the "standby button" for the next 2 months and cease most campaign activities.

The Greens have agreed.

http://derstandard.at/2000044485795/Kickl-schlaegt-Gruenen-Wahlkampfpause-vor
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #1614 on: September 17, 2016, 03:33:27 AM »

2 new polls:

Gallup for Ö24 newspaper

Unique Research for Profil magazine

33% FPÖ
26% SPÖ
20% ÖVP
13% Greens
  7% NEOS
  1% Others

Also:

78% say they are "certain" to vote in the December 4 presidential re-vote and 76% also say that the election will finally be held in a proper way without problems.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #1615 on: September 18, 2016, 02:24:37 AM »

Polls are open for the Leopoldstadt by-election (Vienna's 2nd district).

They close at 5pm.

The SPÖ is expected to win easily, but there's a tough battle for 2nd place between the Greens and the FPÖ.

Background:

This story is almost unknown to people outside of Vienna, but the Constitutional Court did not only rule the Presidential runoff invalid and to be repeated, but also the city council election in Vienna's 2nd district (Leopoldstadt) from last fall.

The vote will be repeated on September 18.

Leopoldstadt is an SPÖ-stronghold, but the match for second place was extremely tight between the Greens and the FPÖ:

38.6% SPÖ
22.2% Greens
22.1% FPÖ
  7.1% ÖVP
  5.7% NEOS
  2.8% ANDAS

https://www.wien.gv.at/wahl/NET/BV151/BV151-202.htm

While city council elections are a very localized political thing, it could nonetheless serve as a trial balloon for the Presidential election, if for example the FPÖ gains and the Greens lose relative to the original vote.

The Greens have already started their poster campaign there, using the (in)famous quote from Norbert Hofer (FPÖ) during the Presidential campaign: "You will wonder what kind of things will be possible."

The poster reads:

"The ones who are not going to vote will wonder what kind of things will be possible."
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1616 on: September 18, 2016, 02:44:10 AM »

Austria is a waste.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #1617 on: September 18, 2016, 11:17:15 AM »

Massive Green win in the Leopoldstadt election:

33.2% Greens (+11)
27.9% SPÖ (-11)
24.8% FPÖ (+3)
  5.9% ÖVP (-1)
  5.2% NEOS (-1)
  2.2% ANDAS (-1)

https://www.wien.gv.at/english/NET-EN/BV161/BV161-202.htm

Polls are open for the Leopoldstadt by-election (Vienna's 2nd district).

They close at 5pm.

The SPÖ is expected to win easily, but there's a tough battle for 2nd place between the Greens and the FPÖ.

Background:

This story is almost unknown to people outside of Vienna, but the Constitutional Court did not only rule the Presidential runoff invalid and to be repeated, but also the city council election in Vienna's 2nd district (Leopoldstadt) from last fall.

The vote will be repeated on September 18.

Leopoldstadt is an SPÖ-stronghold, but the match for second place was extremely tight between the Greens and the FPÖ:

38.6% SPÖ
22.2% Greens
22.1% FPÖ
  7.1% ÖVP
 5.7% NEOS
 2.8% ANDAS

https://www.wien.gv.at/wahl/NET/BV151/BV151-202.htm

While city council elections are a very localized political thing, it could nonetheless serve as a trial balloon for the Presidential election, if for example the FPÖ gains and the Greens lose relative to the original vote.

The Greens have already started their poster campaign there, using the (in)famous quote from Norbert Hofer (FPÖ) during the Presidential campaign: "You will wonder what kind of things will be possible."

The poster reads:

"The ones who are not going to vote will wonder what kind of things will be possible."
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #1618 on: September 18, 2016, 11:28:10 AM »

2 new polls:

Gallup for Ö24 newspaper

33% FPÖ
26% SPÖ
20% ÖVP
13% Greens
  7% NEOS
  1% Others

Also:

78% say they are "certain" to vote in the December 4 presidential re-vote and 76% also say that the election will finally be held in a proper way without problems.

Red-black-green coalition?
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #1619 on: September 18, 2016, 11:31:13 AM »

2 new polls:

Gallup for Ö24 newspaper

33% FPÖ
26% SPÖ
20% ÖVP
13% Greens
  7% NEOS
  1% Others

Also:

Red-black-green coalition?
In this case FPÖ-ÖVP seems far more likely.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #1620 on: September 18, 2016, 11:35:02 AM »

FPÖVP is more likely, but nobody really knows.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #1621 on: September 18, 2016, 11:37:12 AM »

Anyway, SORA estimates the final result for the Leopoldstadt election today will be:

35% Greens (+13)
28% SPÖ (-11)
22% FPÖ (n.c.)
  6% ÖVP (-1)
  5% NEOS (-1)
  2% ANDAS (-1)

Projection includes postal ballots.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #1622 on: September 18, 2016, 11:39:04 AM »

Has the cordon sanitaire been lifted? Is the ÖVP no longer traumatized by the last time there was a FPÖVP coalition?

Would the EU sanction Austria again in such a case? I doubt it, but I find the idea of sanctioning one of your own members for having the wrong election outcome hard to believe in the first place. What were these sanctions, anyway?
Mike88
Junior Chimp
Portugal

« Reply #1623 on: September 18, 2016, 12:03:21 PM »

Poor ÖVP! Why did they lose so much of their voters to the FPÖ? Is it mainly because of the refugees crisis or there's something more deep?
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #1624 on: September 18, 2016, 02:51:15 PM »

For the record I support the alliance of rightwing and far-rightwing parties in Europe. The best way to sink them. Smiley
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 62 63 64 [65] 66 67 68 69 70 ... 81  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies