What's the last movie you've seen? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 03:10:59 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  What's the last movie you've seen? (search mode)
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: What's the last movie you've seen?  (Read 636131 times)
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2011, 08:20:26 PM »

I'm pretty sure that Olivier's Hamlet is supposed to be written as HAMlet.

I thought that recent televised one of Macbeth was quite good, especially as it managed to avoid certain irritating clichés.

Haha, quite.    

Yeah, I thought they did a good job and I quite liked how they changed the scenery in this one and in the Richard III (even if the ending was a little head scratching) .  The Baz Luhrman Romeo and Juliet did not work for me.

I think Titus takes the cake as the most screwed up film adaptation.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2011, 02:37:20 PM »
« Edited: March 30, 2011, 02:38:56 PM by patrick1 »

The 9th Company pretty good In my opinion. Does anyone know of any other films about the Soviet war in Afghanistan? preferably not Rambo 3 Tongue

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Beast_%281988_film%29

^I saw this a long time ago, but I remember it being pretty good.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2011, 10:49:38 PM »

The Fighter.  It was pretty good- Bale and Leo were deserving of the awards.  The white trash sisters were great also. 

Also re-watched The Gangs of New York the other night.  It is a tad cartoony at times, but I really enjoyed it again.  Day Lewis always gives a great performance.  Cameron Diaz was horrible and nearly ruins the movie.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2011, 11:27:30 PM »

Melancholia. Wow. Just wow. There are no words. I guess von Trier simply did it again.

So pretentious drivel....? 
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2011, 06:16:16 AM »
« Edited: May 31, 2011, 06:26:58 AM by patrick1 »

Melancholia. Wow. Just wow. There are no words. I guess von Trier simply did it again.

So pretentious drivel....?  

Nope. If you haven't been able to appreciate von Trier's genius yet I feel sorry for you. Smiley

Like many von Trier movies this one was actually pretty funny for a long time. That is, until it turned completely depressing, of course.

Dare I ask what you've seen by him?

Hmm, saw most of the Kingdom on IFC a very long time ago, Dancer in the Dark, Dogville, and most of Breaking the Waves (I do like Emily Watson). That was enough for me.  I know many people like his work- I'm just not one of them.

I should also note that you would be wise to distance yourself from Von Trier, Herr Heinreich Wink
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2011, 06:14:24 AM »

I re-watched My Left Foot after like 20 years.  Day Lewis and Fricker definitely deserved their Oscars.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #31 on: July 28, 2011, 10:23:15 AM »

The Way Back.  Even though it came out in 2010, I had never heard of it.  It was available on Netflix and was directed by Peter Weir so I gave it a whirl.  Maybe it was having low expectations but I loved this movie. Beautifully acted and shot.  One downside is that for long stretches of the movie I couldnt tell several characters apart.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2011, 11:21:20 PM »

I watched a movie called The Sun on Netflix.  It was supposedly about Hirohito in the lead up to the end and aftermath of WWII.  It was bad.  The historical accuracy and American characters were absurd.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #33 on: August 17, 2011, 12:23:34 AM »

The Basketball Diaries. From the early days of DiCaprio's career.

Good flick.  DiCaprio was also excellent in This Boy's Life from a few years earlier.  You could tell he was going to have a good career.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #34 on: August 17, 2011, 12:47:43 AM »

I re-watched Trainspotting. I'd forgotten how awesome the opening scenes are. May need to dust off my Irvine Welsh books.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #35 on: August 28, 2011, 04:20:34 PM »

Last night I watched How I won the war.   I don't know if it was the excess alcohol, the winds howling outside, or the incomprehensible dialogue but I was confused.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #36 on: September 16, 2011, 11:00:40 PM »

Paul.  It was good for a few laughs. I'd venture it would be funnier high.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #37 on: September 17, 2011, 04:38:42 PM »

Paul.  It was good for a few laughs. I'd venture it would be funnier high.

Most movies are. 

I watched Bottle Rocket last night.  The characters reminded me of people I know.  Much of the story played like an episode of Seinfeld or King of the Hill.  Probably 50 of the 100 minutes were just a trio of friends sitting around talking and thinking of what to do, or planning some improbably heist.  I enjoyed the story, and there were some humorous moments, but it lacked denouement. 

My favorite part of that movie is the character name Future man and the entire Kumar character.   

patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #38 on: November 26, 2011, 09:01:16 PM »

The Muppets - extremely enjoyable.  Start to finish it was amazing.  The songs, the cameos, everything.

Any Rainbow connection?
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #39 on: December 09, 2011, 01:34:09 AM »

For the love of all that is holy...Ugh

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCdZje_sTF0&feature=player_embedded
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #40 on: December 19, 2011, 08:58:23 PM »

Scarface (1983)

Certainly it's entertaining, and Al Pacino makes his character interesting. Unfortunately, all the other characters are flat as cardboard; Michelle Pfeiffer's is particularly bad. The whole movie is 2½ hours of glorification of violence with a bit tacked on at the end to hastily and unconvincingly say that all of that cool stuff that happened before is actually bad. It's not a movie with any sort of real merit.

Ive always felt it was an overrated movie as well. The tangential, incestuous subplot with Tony and his sister was just really weird also.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #41 on: January 11, 2012, 09:55:47 AM »

I finally saw City of God the other day.  It was excellent.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #42 on: January 11, 2012, 10:11:07 AM »

Yeah, I figured I would be unambiguous about where my 2012 loyalties are. I can't stomach Romney and co.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #43 on: January 12, 2012, 08:21:30 PM »

Fast Five

Yeah, I figured I would be unambiguous about where my 2012 loyalties are. I can't stomach Romney and co.

Another sign of the impending apocalypse...

I'm not sure what is a sign of the apocalypse, my fresh red avatar or that they actually made 5 fast and furious movies Smiley

I watched Margin Call.  Very well acted. It was a simple "plot" but I really enjoyed some of the more subtle juxtapositions.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #44 on: January 22, 2012, 11:32:52 AM »

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy. Quite good. I might read the book and check out the mini-series.

I didn't like this movie at all. It was just so plodding and nothing really happened. I was browsing imdb and so many people were confused- by what?- Extended sequences of Gary Oldman swimming? Friends whose opinions I respect really like Le Carre, so I am sure he fleshes out the characters more and there is better pacing in the books.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #45 on: February 27, 2012, 12:06:36 PM »

Rag Tag. Netflix's LGBT section continues to be awful. 0/4 so far.

I found it interesting that they had The Saint of 9/11 labeled as such on Netflix streaming.  I had the pleasure of meeting Father Mychal Judge on several occasions.  He seemed a really great man and priest.  While I have only seen the very beginning of the documentary, I don't really see how it would warrant an LGBT label.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #46 on: August 21, 2012, 07:11:42 PM »

The Iron Lady.  Excellent acting from Broadbent and Streep but I don't think I could get over my general distaste for Maggie to really find it engaging.
Pages: 1 [2]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies