Your Dad or MoM is voting for Trump. How would you describe him or her?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 02:22:18 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Your Dad or MoM is voting for Trump. How would you describe him or her?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Poll
Question: If you Dad (or another really close relative) voting for Trump, how would you describe him?
Deplorable
One of few exceptions; genuinely good man, but/because something-something
All my close relatives vote Hillary!
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: Your Dad or MoM is voting for Trump. How would you describe him or her?  (Read 2106 times)
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: November 03, 2016, 08:31:14 AM »

This is a terribly dumb question. Yeah, if you parents were active Hitler-supporters you get some cognitive dissonance because I'm sure they were nice and bought you ice-cream.

The world is complicated, people who do evil things aren't cartoon villains. Of course, a Trumpist wouldn't understand that.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #51 on: November 03, 2016, 08:38:50 AM »

(Oh, and my parents are neither evil nor moronic so of course they don't like Trump)

I have one personal friend that I'm aware of who is almost certainly pro-Trump (he hasn't outright admitted it but it's in line with his politics and everything he says about the race).

Then again, he thinks David Duke isn't a racist and admits Trump is a bit like Hitler, so I find his political views a bit deplorable. Tongue
Erich Maria Remarque
LittleBigPlanet
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #52 on: November 03, 2016, 08:42:06 AM »
« Edited: November 03, 2016, 08:44:41 AM by Happy Sad Trumpista »

This is a terribly dumb question. Yeah, if you parents were active Hitler-supporters you get some cognitive dissonance because I'm sure they were nice and bought you ice-cream.

The world is complicated, people who do evil things aren't cartoon villains. Of course, a Trumpist wouldn't understand that.

It was a good strawman. God fat beautiful strawman.

But my point was about magic 1% something-something Smiley
You must be logged in to read this quote.

This thread is not about defending myself (as many seems to think). I am glad that Clinton started a "deplorable" thing.
It is about you being hypocrites Wink
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #53 on: November 03, 2016, 08:45:35 AM »

A problem that a lot of people who like politics (e.e. atlas users) forget is the vast majority of people don't like politics, are informed of politics through somewhat mangled word of mouth rather than the news and don't spend months and months deliberating their vote.

That is why I don't think it is helpful to think of people who vote for various deplorable people, parties and regimes as some sort of evil mass. People make their minds up through a swarm of factors unique to them, and once a mind is made up, human nature dictates that it is very difficult to reverse these positions.

We must fight fascism, yes. But it is futile to do so without making a concerted effort to understand why - in psychological terms - people allow themselves to become passive supporters of authoritarianians. In an American context, politically minded people cannot allow themselves to fall in the trap of considering half of the population as irredeemable fascists.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #54 on: November 03, 2016, 08:54:09 AM »

It was a good strawman. God fat beautiful strawman.

But my point was about magic 1% something-something Smiley
You must be logged in to read this quote.

This thread is not about defending myself (as many seems to think). I am glad that Clinton started a "deplorable" thing.
It is about you being hypocrites Wink
Oh but it does seem about you Wink
Lexii, harbinger of chaos and sexual anarchy
Alex
Junior Chimp
Argentina

« Reply #55 on: November 03, 2016, 09:06:34 AM »

Neither of my parents can vote (or live in the US), but they would never support Trump

if they did, option 2
Terry the Fat Shark
Junior Chimp
United States

P P
« Reply #56 on: November 03, 2016, 09:16:34 AM »

Well I honor my parents no matter who they vote for (my Mom voted for Trump but voted for Jesse Jackson twice in the democratic primaries in the 80's, if you can believe that, and voted for Clinton in '92 and '96, has voted GOP since then), so I would most certainly not call them deplorable, even if they voted for Hillary Tongue
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #57 on: November 03, 2016, 04:10:27 PM »

I don't think my Dad is voting, but he seems to slightly lean Trump and it wouldn't shock me.

He's a pretty terrible guy anyway.

My mom is a die hard Clinton supporter, supported her in the primaries, as well as when she ran against Obama.
Beefalow and the Consumer
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.77, S: -8.78

« Reply #58 on: November 03, 2016, 04:16:33 PM »

My parents are hardcore neocon Republicans. They're voting Hillary, of course, because they are intelligent and sane.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies