Citing Israel, GOP eyes Jewish vote (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 05:56:32 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Citing Israel, GOP eyes Jewish vote (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Citing Israel, GOP eyes Jewish vote  (Read 3723 times)
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« on: August 05, 2014, 11:51:28 AM »

lol, good luck with that. Basically what everyone else said.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2014, 12:21:44 PM »

Maybe in 20-30 years, this could happen (we're seeing the Jewish move to the right abroad, in Canada and France -- and Israel, I suppose), but Jews will vote >60%, maybe >70% for Democratic Party candidates in 2014. Notwithstanding contrarians like me.

Even if the Republicans did end up with a majority of the Jewish vote, how much would it really mean?

It could tip the balance in close races. Every vote matters and whatnot.

Don't the majority of American Jews live in solidly Democratic urban/metropolitan regions, anyway?
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2014, 09:38:09 PM »
« Edited: August 07, 2014, 09:44:47 PM by They call me PR »

I definitely can see Jews voting against the GOP because of "anti-intellectualism", but it seems like there are plenty of whites who place a very high priority on education who vote quite Republican.

Places like Huntsville, Alabama, Shelby County, St. Tammany Parish in LA, Williamson County, TN, Colin County, TX, Douglas County, CO, Hamilton County Indiana, etc. tend to have a lot of very Republican, well-educated whites.  Perhaps "intellectual" isn't the right word for them, but they certainly care about their kids getting a good education.

Perhaps those types of voters are hybrid "intellectual/anti-intellectual" voters?  The type that would speak poor grammar and wear cowboy hates yet at the same time write normally and place a high priority on college?

These are just some thoughts, but whenever I hear "anti-intellectual", I get a little skeptical as that being a big reason.

It's not really the contemporary GOP being "anti-intellectual" as it is their thinly veiled contempt/hostility toward People Who Aren't Like Them.

Those upper-middle class white Republican-voting suburban enclaves that you mentioned place a high value on their children's educations, but good luck getting them to support more public resources and funding toward the educations and communities of poor children and their families.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2014, 06:38:56 PM »

Except that it's generally seculars with seriously left-wing views/voting patterns...

How are we defining "secular" in the context of Judaism (as in, isn't there a big spectrum there? Tongue )
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies