Do you say "yes sir/no sir" (or ma'am) to employees at Taco Bell
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 01:25:52 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Do you say "yes sir/no sir" (or ma'am) to employees at Taco Bell
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Poll
Question: Do you say "yes sir/no sir" (or ma'am) to employees at Taco Bell
yes (D)

no (D)

yes (R)

no (R)

yes (I)

no (I)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 45

Author Topic: Do you say "yes sir/no sir" (or ma'am) to employees at Taco Bell  (Read 5225 times)
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: May 16, 2013, 04:39:27 PM »

Yes, all the time.  You will be surprised by the increase in quality service you receive by being polite and expressing to the person serving you how much you appreciate their work and effort.  (I usually end up not having to pay for my drinks and/or get free substitutions on my orders as a result.)

I address anybody I don't know except small children as sir and/or ma'am, so yes.

This.

^^^^
I think you've missed the point.  Here, calling someone sir or ma'am might be seen as patronizing.

There are better ways to show you appreciate someone's hard work and effort.  You could say something like "thanks a bunch, I really appreciate it.  Have a good day" accompanied by a warm smile.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #51 on: May 16, 2013, 05:24:38 PM »

Do you say "yes sir/no sir" (or ma'am) to employees at Taco Bell?

I do not, owing mostly to the fact that I do not visit Taco Bell.

What an odd question.

I do find that store employees always call me sir.  Very irritating.  I guess I'm getting old.  It started being that way a few years ago.  At first, only once in a while, but now it's like every time. 

When you tote the boy along expect to be called Sir.  Though hopefully not by younger hotties. Smiley
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #52 on: May 16, 2013, 07:09:59 PM »
« Edited: May 16, 2013, 07:16:31 PM by angus »

Though hopefully not by younger hotties. Smiley

you read my mind you dirty old bastard.  that's really the worst part, isn't it.  you're over here scoping her out, "oh, yeah, I'd tap that," and then the next thing you know she's all like, "sir, can I help you with that?  Perhaps you'd like a bib, or a seat closer to the bathroom, sir?"  

I had an uncle once who said, "are you in the army now or something?" when I called him "sir" once.  I guess sarcasm goes a long way.  My son calls me "sir" sometimes when he's being facetious, or when he really wants to be obnoxious.  If I give him a command, sometimes he says "yes, sir."  He's just old enough to experiment with sarcasm.  Tough times are coming, I can tell already.

Anyway, I hate being called "sir" and I certainly wouldn't do it to anyone else.  Besides, if you're in Lancaster looking to be polite to the fast food service people, you'll get a hell of a lot more mileage out of "por favor, amigo" than you'll get out of "yes, sir."

ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #53 on: May 16, 2013, 09:05:55 PM »

Yes, all the time.  You will be surprised by the increase in quality service you receive by being polite and expressing to the person serving you how much you appreciate their work and effort.  (I usually end up not having to pay for my drinks and/or get free substitutions on my orders as a result.)

I address anybody I don't know except small children as sir and/or ma'am, so yes.

This.

^^^^
I think you've missed the point.  Here, calling someone sir or ma'am might be seen as patronizing.

There are better ways to show you appreciate someone's hard work and effort.  You could say something like "thanks a bunch, I really appreciate it.  Have a good day" accompanied by a warm smile.

A thousand times this.  Politeness isn't shown by giving someone a title.  Politeness is shown by looking someone in the eye and displaying a positive attitude.  They're skills I've certainly learned that people around DC really need education about Tongue
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #54 on: May 17, 2013, 07:29:42 AM »

This.

^^^^

Your initial statement might be correct, but the question didn't express that it was meant as patronizing.  So my comment remains valid.  Additionally, my comment reflects your seccond point.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #55 on: May 17, 2013, 08:13:41 AM »

Yes, I often say sir and ma'am in certain contexts, regardless of the station of the person to whom I am speaking. It just "depends."

This.

In the context of a restaurant (fast food or otherwise), I find it a helpful way to get attention when the staff doesn't recognize that I'm trying to get attention. For example, if a friendly glance doesn't connect, and "Excuse me" gets lost in a busy room, "Excuse me, sir" or "Sir, excuse me" will almost always get through.

This.

^^^^

As a professor I get called sir a lot by students, and I don't think they are being patronizing, so I don't find it patronizing to use the word myself with others.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #56 on: May 17, 2013, 03:30:30 PM »

This.

^^^^

As a professor I get called sir a lot by students, and I don't think they are being patronizing, so I don't find it patronizing to use the word myself with others.

I'd think it would be somewhat different in your capacity as a professor, since you're clearly in a position of authority over your students.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #57 on: May 17, 2013, 06:48:27 PM »

I'd think it would be somewhat different in your capacity as a professor, since you're clearly in a position of authority over your students.

indeed.  more militaristic.  like a seaman recruit to an admiral.

I never noticed much of that in Iowa, so I'm surprised that it surfaces in Illinois.  In Pennsylvania, however, it happens all the time.  Seems like part of the culture here.  Still, I view "mentor" and "commander" as very different roles.  I don't much like being thought of as commander.  That's not a role I would ever have signed up for.

Getting the "sir" treatment from non-students is equally disturbing, but for different reasons.  In those cases, it just makes one feel old.

In all cases it's jarring, unsettling, and annoying.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #58 on: May 17, 2013, 11:33:55 PM »

This. 
Wake Me Up When The Hard Border Ends
Anton Kreitzer
YaBB God
Australia

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: 3.11

« Reply #59 on: May 18, 2013, 01:17:15 AM »

I would, only thing is, there aren't any Taco Bells where I live.

I do say sir/ma'am though most of the time, even if most people where I live don't Cry
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #60 on: May 18, 2013, 01:52:39 AM »

Did anyone else think of  BushOklahoma?
Leftbehind
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #61 on: May 18, 2013, 04:36:28 AM »

Not so much patronising here as awkwardly deferential.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies