Rank the states by highest margin for mccain to highest margin for obama (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 17, 2024, 03:54:14 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Rank the states by highest margin for mccain to highest margin for obama (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Rank the states by highest margin for mccain to highest margin for obama  (Read 2005 times)
elcorazon

« on: June 17, 2008, 02:27:25 PM »
« edited: June 18, 2008, 04:55:03 PM by elcorazon »

1. utah
2. idaho
3. wyoming
4. oklahoma
5. sdakota
6. nebraska
7. alabama
8. ndakota
9. kansas
10. kentucky
11. mississippi
12. texas
13. alaska
14. arizona
15. louisiana
16. tennessee
17. wvirginia
18. indiana
19. arkansas
20. georgia
21. scarolina
22. montana
23. ncarolina
24. florida
25. missouri
26. nevada
27. virginia
28. colorado
29. nmexico
30. nhampshire
31. ohio
32. michigan
33. pennsylvania
34. wisconsin
35. iowa
36. njersey
37. delaware
38. minnesota
39. california
40. connecticut
41. maine
42. oregon
43. washington
44. maryland
45. nyork
46. hawaii
47. rhode island
48. massachusetts
49. illinois
50. vermont
51. dc

post yours
elcorazon

« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2008, 04:32:53 PM »

no

too much effort with no incentive

^^^^

My brain hurts just thinking about it.
man, some people put in a LOT more effort than that.  I find it interesting in terms of helping to identify key states.  My ranking puts Ohio as the one to put either candidate over the top.  Obama's next 4 tightest needed states would be Michigan, Pennsylvania, Wisconsin and Iowa.  McCain's are NH, New Mexico, Colorado and Virginia, followed by Nevada and Missouri.

Just in looking at it that way, there are more states McCain has to protect, but Obama's are worth more electoral votes.  And McCain could lose a couple small ones (NH, NM, NV) as long as he takes the rest and takes Ohio.  Obama has no room for error.

plus if you're lazy, all you have to do is copy my list then move states around so it fits your opinion.
elcorazon

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2008, 04:46:56 PM »

hahaha . . . I think the maps would be easier.  Smiley  Still, I have no way to guage how well they'd do, especially since we're so early in the process.  Maybe after the conventions I'll have a better idea of how the candidates will do in different states.
obviously at this point it's just a guess.  But it's what we tend to do around here all the time, no?

tough call was which would be stronger mccain, idaho or wyoming?  also tough was where to put Alaska, Montana, West Virginia, Kentucky, Arizona, Hawaii, Tennessee, Louisiana, Georgia. 

I guess if it's a pain then leave it to the many folks around here who like doing this crap.
elcorazon

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2008, 09:12:40 AM »

Oh, don't worry, I'm sure there will be people who will step up to the challenge, especially college kids on summer break.  Smiley
turns out there's not much interest in this idea... maybe after we have veeps chosen, this concept will take off.
elcorazon

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2008, 04:58:40 PM »

Oh for Christ sakes!  What  a useless thread.  I'm sure if it is that important to you I'm sure CNN or Fox News will do it on their websites as gets closer to the election and you can reply there.
I'm not sure why this thread is useless.  Of all the crap in this forum, this seems pretty interesting.  A bunch of folks looking at stats a lot and dealing with electoral college might actually be interested in the relative strength of the candidates in the 50 states.

Sure, not everyone will want to participate, but I'm not sure I get why there's some sort of backlash against it.

whatever.
elcorazon

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2008, 09:14:07 AM »

and don't forget that when Arkansas was voting more for the Dems, Clinton was a candidate.  I know it was still fairly close in 2000, but I think it's trending away from Dems, rather than swinging.  It may swing dem, but unlikely to do so more than Iowa, Ohio, Virginia and others. 

Good to see someone make the effort to do the task though.
elcorazon

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2008, 03:25:51 PM »

I WANT MORE LISTS.  Come on people.  You'd rather do more polls on who's gonna win Michigan,or Pennsylvania or Ohio or Florida.. seriously, some of you mopes have enough time to at least think about this or do one for the middle third or half of the states.
elcorazon

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2008, 04:29:52 PM »

Utah
Wyoming
Idaho
Nebraska
Oklahoma
Kansas
Arkansas
West Virginia
Kentucky
Alabama
Tennessee
Montana
North Dakota
South Dakota
Texas
Arizona
Alaska
Louisiana
South Carolina
Georgia
Mississippi
North Carolina
Indiana
Florida
Nevada
Virginia
Missouri
Ohio
Michigan
New Mexico
Pennsylvania
Wisconsin
Colorado
New Hampshire
Iowa
Oregon
Minnesota
New Jersey
Maine
California
Connecticut
Delaware
Maryland
Massachusetts
New York
Rhode Island
Washington
Illinois
Vermont
Hawaii
District of Columbia
nice. you've got obama doing well in indiana and missouri.  mccain dominating the "hilllary south" of ark, wv, ky, tn. 
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies