Pro-Palestine Democrats: Opinion of Joe Biden?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 06:40:07 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Pro-Palestine Democrats: Opinion of Joe Biden?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Well?
FF

HP

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 29

Author Topic: Pro-Palestine Democrats: Opinion of Joe Biden?  (Read 361 times)
SnowLabrador
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 08, 2024, 07:09:49 AM »

Hello. I voted for Biden in 2020, but I'm starting to have a hard time justifying my vote for him in 2024. I firmly believe Trump is worse on so many other issues and no better on Palestine, so Biden is the "lesser of two evils." But I live in a deep blue state, so realistically my not voting for Biden wouldn't impact his chances of winning. Make no mistake: If I lived in a more competitive state, I would absolutely vote for Biden.

The fact that Biden could end this genocide in less than an hour with a simple phone call to Netanyahu, and yet hasn't done so, is unconscionable. This makes it more difficult for me to justify voting for Biden in the general election. After I voted for him in the primary, an IRL friend of mine asked me if I'd voted for someone complicit in genocide, and I had to say yes. I don't want to feel that guilty again. To think of what damage Biden has done to the people of Gaza makes me feel guilty not just for being American (which I can't escape no matter who wins in November), but also for voting for a candidate who is making the situation worse.

So I guess what I'm asking is this: Fellow left-of-center, pro-Palestine Americans, how are you approaching the upcoming election?
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2024, 07:16:41 AM »

I probably don't count as pro-Palestine enough for my answer on this question to be meaningful. But I will say my mom is pro-Palestine to the extent of mostly supporting the campus protests, agreeing that Israel is engaging in war crimes and ethnic cleansing (haven't heard her say genocide specifically), and thinking the US needs to pull all military aid to Israel, and she is a safe Biden voter who would also say she approves of the job he's doing overall despite not approving of his actions regarding Israel-Palestine.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2024, 07:20:17 AM »

FF
Simply put, I can understand people thinking poorly of Biden over this, but I myself will always be voting for him for this and the fact he's tried to take unprecedented steps like punishing out-of-control settlers makes me happy about his record on this issue.
SnowLabrador
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2024, 07:38:22 AM »

These responses make me feel better about my vote. I will admit that my decision to post this thread came from a place of privilege as a non-LGBTQ white man from an upper-class suburb in a blue state. In other words, while I want Biden to win, there are a lot of people who need Biden to win, and I lost sight of that this morning.
President of the great nation of 🏳️‍⚧️
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2024, 07:41:02 AM »

I probably don't count as pro-Palestine enough for my answer on this question to be meaningful.
This, though I can relate a bit to Crumpets's mom, though my view on the protestors is "they're kinda annoying but they shouldn't be hurt".

That being said, generally FF. Even if he could be much better on this issue specifically (and I'm not sure he could--the only person who could've possibly been President right now who would be better on this issue is Bernie), I'm not basing my vote on Gaza (because I am a normal American who has real things to worry about in her own life). Biden could be John Fetterman on this issue and I'd still vote for him because he's the only candidate who thinks I should have a vagina (a phrase which here means "supports trans rights and universal healthcare"). He could be Rashida Tlaib and I'd still vote for him for that reason. And that's not even including other issues that don't affect me personally (which, ultimately, includes Gaza--I get that it's not a very appetizing sell, but I'd rather a kinder, gentler genocide with Brandon than genocides foreign and domestic with TRUMP).
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2024, 08:54:52 AM »

I think you were right originally. I would suggest everyone who lives in a safe state, that if they vote for president, to vote for whomever of the candidates on your ballot who you would most like to see as president. If that's Biden, vote for him. If it isn't, vote for whoever it is.

I feel that a vote for Biden, after what he has done in Gaza, to be unconscionable as an act considered in isolation. It is not justified to say, "Yes, I want this man to be president and I am going to put him there." The only possible way to getting there is the notion that Trump is worse and the need to stop Trump. And that argument only applies for swing state voters.

Even without Gaza, my positions on both foreign and domestic policy are closer to Stein's than Biden's, so it's not a very hard choice.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -4.78

P P P
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2024, 10:47:11 AM »

HP.
ReallySuper
El Salvador

Political Matrix
E: -8.06, S: -7.39

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2024, 11:41:30 AM »

i am not a demonrat so i didnt vote in this poll but generally speaking less privileged people neither "need" nor want highly privileged white cishet men to "save" them by voting for the genocidal overseer of the imperialist white supremacist capitalist patriarchal project of the united states
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2024, 11:44:07 AM »

I'd hate to actually reply to a SnowLabrador threaf but:

The fact that Biden could end this genocide in less than an hour with a simple phone call to Netanyahu

This is not true.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2024, 04:23:01 PM »

Hello. I voted for Biden in 2020, but I'm starting to have a hard time justifying my vote for him in 2024. I firmly believe Trump is worse on so many other issues and no better on Palestine, so Biden is the "lesser of two evils." But I live in a deep blue state, so realistically my not voting for Biden wouldn't impact his chances of winning. Make no mistake: If I lived in a more competitive state, I would absolutely vote for Biden.

The fact that Biden could end this genocide in less than an hour with a simple phone call to Netanyahu, and yet hasn't done so, is unconscionable. This makes it more difficult for me to justify voting for Biden in the general election. After I voted for him in the primary, an IRL friend of mine asked me if I'd voted for someone complicit in genocide, and I had to say yes. I don't want to feel that guilty again. To think of what damage Biden has done to the people of Gaza makes me feel guilty not just for being American (which I can't escape no matter who wins in November), but also for voting for a candidate who is making the situation worse.

So I guess what I'm asking is this: Fellow left-of-center, pro-Palestine Americans, how are you approaching the upcoming election?

Dude, give it a rest; everyone knows you’re a Republican Roll Eyes
Ashley Biden's Diary
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2024, 06:42:12 PM »

How can Biden end something that isn't happening?
nicholas.slaydon
Ukraine

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2024, 10:56:52 PM »

Not a registered Democrat, but I still routinely vote Democratic. My overall opinion of Joe Biden is just Meh. He isn't an HP, but he isn't a FF either.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2024, 10:44:23 AM »
« Edited: May 09, 2024, 10:50:21 AM by LAKISYLVANIA »

Firstly, he has the power

By simply stopping support and aid to israel and publically condemning. When the US stops giving public support, such as blockading UN proposals to allow humanitarian aid or call it a genocide or to recognise the state of Palestine officially, Israel will realize they'll be diplomatically isolated and would have to end the conflict.

That's how you end it.

The USA is in a position to pressure Israel to stop.

They're literally the most powerful country in the world, and Israel is an ally (and so is half the world basically aligned with USA/western values).

Secondly, genocide denial should be a crime. This is a textbook case of a genocide. Y'all have been busy for years condemning China for Xinjiang etc, but when an ally does a genocide, the forum suddenly shuts down and does everything but telling what this is: a genocide.

Most other countries agree it's a genocide, even if only privately so, even Democratic insiders & strategists will largely agree. Elizabeth Warren - once so beloved here - also agrees this is a genocide.

Stop denying and condoning genocide, thank you.

It's because of that exactly that the OP was created, and that people are hesistant on voting for Biden because so many Biden voters and Biden himself are hesistant on calling this is what it is: a genocide. Why try to defend something you aren't even doing yourself. The moment you start defending and condoning this, you participate in the bloodshed that is going on and share responsability.

Why do this, this is not your war, this is not you shredding blood, killing children and bombing every single house from the face of the earth.

I am consistently anti-genocide, what about you!
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2024, 10:51:42 AM »

I have already told my advice, Snowlabrador

You have an easy choice. You don't live in a swing state. You can freely vote the way you want. It won't impact the election. It won't throw the election to Donald J. Trump so my advice to you is: vote with your conscience.

Not voting for Biden or third party could be a very useful vote since it would signal that a lot of people are not satisfied with the Biden administration currently (esp. foreign politics). You have the power to do that without impacting the overall results. So if you don't think Biden don't deserve your vote, than don't.

However i'll also add to this that RFK jr. and obviously Trump don't have better positions on the issue than Biden so they are not a valid alternative either, but i think 99% of the forum already knows this.
Ashley Biden's Diary
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2024, 04:08:37 PM »

By simply stopping support and aid to israel and publically condemning. When the US stops giving public support, such as blockading UN proposals to allow humanitarian aid or call it a genocide or to recognise the state of Palestine officially, Israel will realize they'll be diplomatically isolated and would have to end the conflict.

That's how you end it.

They're literally the most powerful country in the world, and Israel is an ally (and so is half the world basically aligned with USA/western values).

Secondly, genocide denial should be a crime. This is a textbook case of a genocide. Y'all have been busy for years condemning China for Xinjiang etc, but when an ally does a genocide, the forum suddenly shuts down and does everything but telling what this is: a genocide.

Most other countries agree it's a genocide, even if only privately so, even Democratic insiders & strategists will largely agree. Elizabeth Warren - once so beloved here - also agrees this is a genocide.

It's because of that exactly that the OP was created, and that people are hesistant on voting for Biden because so many Biden voters and Biden himself are hesistant on calling this is what it is: a genocide. Why try to defend something you aren't even doing yourself. The moment you start defending and condoning this, you participate in the bloodshed that is going on and share responsability.

Why do this, this is not your war, this is not you shredding blood, killing children and bombing every single house from the face of the earth.

Stop trivializing genocide by misusing the term, thank you.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2024, 04:34:30 PM »

That's how you end it.

Stop trivializing genocide by misusing the term, thank you.

No, it's you who selectively only condemn a few genocides which makes the word genocide lose its meaning, because the USA is incapable of condemning all genocides, period.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2024, 04:41:10 PM »

If you don't want to vote for him, don't. No need for the self-righteous soliloquy.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies