No Democratic Candidate For Governor Broke 60 Percent in 2014
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 02:58:41 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  No Democratic Candidate For Governor Broke 60 Percent in 2014
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: No Democratic Candidate For Governor Broke 60 Percent in 2014  (Read 489 times)
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 05, 2014, 08:49:55 PM »

My brother pointed out an interesting result in yesterday's elections.

The best showing of any Democrat was Jerry Brown's 58.6%. In comparison, Republican candidates broke 60% in six states, with incumbents topping 70% in Tennessee, South Dakota and Nevada.

I looked at 2006 for comparison. It was a bad year for the party, but Republicans topped 60 percent in multiple elections, including Hawaii and Connecticut. 2008 also saw two Republican Governors reelected with 70+%.

In the Republican year of 2010, Democrat Mike Beebe of Arkansas was reelected with 64%, while Cuomo got 61% as an AG running for Governor.

I'm curious as to explanations for why all Democratic candidates for Governor did so poorly. Did Democrats do something very wrong? Is it just a geography thing, with Republicans having more really safe states? Is it a result of the nationalization of gubernatorial elections? Are there other factors?
KCDem

« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2014, 08:54:35 PM »

Brown will break 60% when all the votes are counted. There are millions left to be counted as turnout is currently 29.9%. Either way, junk turnout.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2014, 10:51:01 PM »

I don't know if you noticed but this was a pretty poor election for Democrats.  Perhaps that has something to do with it?
GaussLaw
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2014, 11:36:29 PM »

I don't know if you noticed but this was a pretty poor election for Democrats.  Perhaps that has something to do with it?

Yes, but 2006/8 were quite poor for Republicans.

I'd simply argue that New England has a history of electing GOP governors
socaldem
skolodji

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2014, 12:02:54 AM »

My brother pointed out an interesting result in yesterday's elections.

The best showing of any Democrat was Jerry Brown's 58.6%. In comparison, Republican candidates broke 60% in six states, with incumbents topping 70% in Tennessee, South Dakota and Nevada.

I looked at 2006 for comparison. It was a bad year for the party, but Republicans topped 60 percent in multiple elections, including Hawaii and Connecticut. 2008 also saw two Republican Governors reelected with 70+%.

In the Republican year of 2010, Democrat Mike Beebe of Arkansas was reelected with 64%, while Cuomo got 61% as an AG running for Governor.

I'm curious as to explanations for why all Democratic candidates for Governor did so poorly. Did Democrats do something very wrong? Is it just a geography thing, with Republicans having more really safe states? Is it a result of the nationalization of gubernatorial elections? Are there other factors?

This is fascinating. I do think that Brown could approach 60% and if California were broken into several Midwest-sized states, he would have broken 60% in many of those states, too... ;-P

That said, as others have pointed out, the continued competitiveness on the gubernatorial level in dem-dominated New England states is a marked contrast to the Democratic electoral failures down south.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies