Snyder set to announce soon; UPDATE: actually, he's out (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 24, 2024, 10:39:20 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Snyder set to announce soon; UPDATE: actually, he's out (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Snyder set to announce soon; UPDATE: actually, he's out  (Read 4354 times)
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« on: April 25, 2015, 10:30:32 PM »

But... with a minimum of 3% in the polls, are we still looking at 10+ candidates in the debates?

Where you are getting the 3% number from? In 2012 it was 1% for the earliest debates, and 2% later in the season.

I thought there was no set standard for whom to invite but that when polling was used, 1% was the cut-off throughout the whole primary season. A threshold of 2% or higher and your stage might only include: Bush, Walker, Rubio, Cruz, Paul, Christie, Huckabee, Trump, Carson, Perry. The second division- Graham, Fiorina, Santorum, Jindal, Kasich, Snyder, Pataki, Erlich, Gilmore, Bolton- are at more risk to not make the cut.

There was no single entity controlling all the debates last time.  The criteria were set by the individual organizations hosting the debates.  That's why you had Gary Johnson invited to two debates but not any of the others.

This time, you have RNC-sanctioned debates.  Priebus has floated the idea of some kind of polling cutoff that would get more strict as you get closer to election day, but nothing's been decided yet.  The criteria could be anything the RNC comes up with.  Of course, if the cutoff is too strict, then the excluded candidates will probably just go rogue and hold their own debate.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2015, 12:28:30 AM »

That also assumes every single candidate that is being discussed will enter the race which is certainly not true

Who do you not see running? I think everyone is in.

No way.  Bolton, King, and Pence are all supposedly thinking about it, but they seem the least likely to take the plunge among the 20+ potential candidates who've expressed interest.  Likewise, 4th tier jokes like Ehrlich and Gilmore: maybe they'll run and maybe they won't.  I think it's too early to say.  Trump has set up an exploratory committee, sure, but he's unpredictable.  He could drop out at any time due to boredom.  Kasich: I don't know.  It sounds like he might be legitimately undecided on whether to run or not.  Maybe he will and maybe he won't.  I'm not sure.

For that matter, Snyder.  Despite the misleading thread title here, we're basing the fact that he's supposedly set to enter the race soon on Norm Coleman's statement that "he's running"?  I'd prefer to wait for some comment from either Snyder himself or someone directly in his political orbit before I jump to conclusions.  Then you've also got folks like Jindal and Perry: Longshots for the nomination who seem like they'll probably run, but it's premature to put those chances too close to 100%.  Barbour, for example, looked likely to run four years ago, but opted out.  Just because people are visiting early primary states now doesn't mean they'll pull the trigger.

And then of course, you've got the Iowa Straw Poll on Aug. 8th.  At least one candidate will drop out because of a poor showing in that, as always happens.  The first debate isn't until a week later, so we have time for some culling of the field between now and then.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2015, 06:37:36 PM »

http://www.politico.com/story/2015/05/rick-snyder-not-running-for-president-117713.html

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2015, 09:36:55 PM »

Snyder confirms the report that he's not running:

http://fox17online.com/2015/05/07/gov-snyder-i-am-not-running-for-president-in-2016/
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies