VA Senate Race: Del. Bob Marshall to Challenge Gilmore for GOP Nomination
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 22, 2024, 02:35:44 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  VA Senate Race: Del. Bob Marshall to Challenge Gilmore for GOP Nomination
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: VA Senate Race: Del. Bob Marshall to Challenge Gilmore for GOP Nomination  (Read 3450 times)
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 07, 2008, 08:02:00 PM »

Pr. William's Marshall to Seek U.S. Senate Seat

By Tim Craig
Washington Post Staff Writer
Monday, January 7, 2008; 2:18 PM

RICHMOND, Jan. 7 -- State Del. Robert G. Marshall of Prince William County announced his candidacy for U.S. Senate on Monday, setting up a GOP nomination fight for the seat held by retiring Sen. John W. Warner.

Marshall, known for his conservative views on social issues and taxes, launched his campaign here at the state Capitol. He will challenge former Virginia governor James S. Gilmore III for the Republican nomination.

Marshall, 63, who has served in the Virginia House since 1992, said his main themes will be protecting life beginning at conception; promoting respect for marriage and traditional families; attacking debt; and reducing the trade deficit.

"My desire to protect every human life, to promote individual freedom and responsibility and to seek the common good are the reasons why I entered public service 16 years ago and why I am running today," Marshall said.

Earlier, Marshall said Gilmore is too moderate on some issues, including his past support for abortion rights during the first trimester of pregnancy. "I did a lot of calling around the state, and I got an excellent response from Republican Party officials," Marshall said. "I just concluded I matched their aspiration for the views they think should be expressed and defended by a Republican candidate for the U.S. Senate."

The state Republican Party will have a convention in late May or early June to nominate a candidate who will almost certainly run against Democrat Mark R. Warner, a former governor so far unopposed for his party's nomination.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2008, 08:13:24 PM »

I'm unfamiliar with Marshall, although it makes little difference.  It doesn't matter who the GOP nominates, anyone short of John Warner will lose in the GE to Mark Warner, pure and simple.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2008, 08:27:13 PM »

Two candidates trying to out-conservative each other... Even Stronger Mark Warner.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2008, 09:55:11 PM »

I love when candidates want to fight to the death over who gets to be killed in the General.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2008, 10:12:57 PM »

Reminds me of the 2002 MN-08 GOP Primary and the fight over if there'd be a recount. Then the candidate who emerged on top goes on to 31%.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2008, 10:22:43 PM »

How soon before Tom Davis wishes that he chose retirement instead of running for his house seat again when he decided against the Senate run??  Whatever the match up on the Presidential level would be a big win for the Dems in Northern VA, with a decent chance it will be Obama vs Huckabee and that would be an outright slaughter.  Warner will demolish either Gilmore or Marshall state wide and out right pummel the hell out of them in Northern VA>  A demolishing like that at the top slots of the ticket can't be good for Davis.
HardRCafé
YaBB God
Italy
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2008, 11:28:13 PM »

At this point, couldn't they just rerun Ollie North?
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -3.74, S: -6.96

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2008, 01:03:02 AM »

At this point, couldn't they just rerun Ollie North?

Running a former criminal would just make the VA GOP seem more desperate. Plus it would energize Democratic turnout.
HardRCafé
YaBB God
Italy
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2008, 03:22:36 AM »

I don't usually do this, but:

I wasn't serious.
Nutmeg
thepolitic
United States Minor Outlying Islands

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2008, 03:24:26 AM »

I love when candidates want to fight to the death over who gets to be killed in the General.

In so many things in life it seems the smaller the stakes, the greater the fervor.
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2008, 08:16:27 AM »

I'm unfamiliar with Marshall, although it makes little difference.  It doesn't matter who the GOP nominates, anyone short of John Warner will lose in the GE to Mark Warner, pure and simple.

Bob Marshall is a culture warrior whose greatest hits include his assertion that women who use contraception are "chemical love canals for frat house playboys".
Cubby
Pim Fortuyn
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -3.74, S: -6.96

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2008, 02:28:28 AM »

I don't usually do this, but:

I wasn't serious.

Oh, well okay then.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2008, 10:43:39 PM »

Bob Marshall is a culture warrior whose greatest hits include his assertion that women who use contraception are "chemical love canals for frat house playboys".

I can picture that going over well in Northern VA.....
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2008, 02:00:04 AM »

Wow, this guy sounds like a whackjob. Tough to tell who'd do worse, him or Gilmore.
Adlai Stevenson
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2008, 11:47:47 AM »

Wow, this guy sounds like a whackjob. Tough to tell who'd do worse, him or Gilmore.

Marshall  Marshall  Marshall!!!
MarkWarner08
Junior Chimp

« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2008, 06:10:08 PM »

Wouldn't it be funny if the Democratic nominee benefited from reverse-coattails in VA?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies