Your position on abortion
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 03, 2024, 10:02:16 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Your position on abortion
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10
Poll
Question: Pro-life or Pro-choice
Strongly Pro-life
Pro-life
In the middle (or both for you Kerry fans)
Pro-choice
Strongly Pro-Choice
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: Your position on abortion  (Read 27240 times)
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: October 19, 2004, 10:36:06 AM »

Abortion is the most DISGUSTING act in human history! Those "doctors" should feel ashamed to wake up in the mornings knowing what they do.

I guess they probablly become desensitized after a while, but either way they must be filled with shame.

"what do you do for a living", the boy asks his mother
"I kill babies", the mother responds

Seriously, it is probablly more humiliating than discusting to these people. I can't see why anyone would want to work their. Perhaps the pay is good but hell it is coming from our friggin tax money. If the mother wants to have an abortion, she should at least pay for it herself.

"What do you do for a living?" the boy asks his mother.
"I make sure that moms and their babies don't live in misery and squalor... or even die." says the mother.
Mikem
Rookie

« Reply #51 on: October 19, 2004, 10:55:46 AM »

"I make sure that moms and their babies don't live in misery and squalor... or even die." says the mother.

OK if thinning out the herd is the solution to poverty and is so noble, then maybe I will go for a career change.  When my son asks:

"What do you do for a living daddy?"
"Well son, daddy drives through the poor section of town with an Uzi spraying women and children, plus the occasional Hobo.  Now those mommies and babies don't have to live in misery and squalor any longer, because they are dead."
TheBulldog
Rookie

« Reply #52 on: October 19, 2004, 12:29:16 PM »

In the middle
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #53 on: October 19, 2004, 12:47:01 PM »

Almost strongly pro-choice.  I basically take the Joe Hoeffel position.  I oppose partial birth abortion except for rape, life of the mother, and health of the mother.    Otherwise it's a woman's right.  I also favor federal funding as my next Congresswoman Allyson Schwartz does.

I completely agree with this position.

We agree on a lot here man.  I just wish there were more cops like you in Northeast Philly.
Bugs

« Reply #54 on: October 19, 2004, 01:19:19 PM »

Abortion is the most DISGUSTING act in human history! Those "doctors" should feel ashamed to wake up in the mornings knowing what they do.

I guess they probablly become desensitized after a while, but either way they must be filled with shame.

"what do you do for a living", the boy asks his mother
"I kill babies", the mother responds

Seriously, it is probablly more humiliating than discusting to these people. I can't see why anyone would want to work their. Perhaps the pay is good but hell it is coming from our friggin tax money. If the mother wants to have an abortion, she should at least pay for it herself.

How does killing babies keep them from dying?
Brambila
Brambilla

« Reply #55 on: October 19, 2004, 06:36:39 PM »

I can't imagine how anyone would allow late-term abortions in cases of rape or incest- the fetus is practically an infant, and can feel all the pain an infant can. I was holding my younger sibling when she was just born, and I got really emotional because I knew that she could legally be killed only hours before.
Bogart
bogart414
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.13, S: -5.39

« Reply #56 on: October 19, 2004, 06:52:06 PM »

Moderately pro-choice. I feel that abortion is usually morally wrong, but that throwing people in jail is not the answer. That only makes matters worse. I do not feel that the state should interfere in the decision; it should be up to the woman, her doctor, and her Creator.

Eliminating poverty would eliminate the vast majority of abortions at the same time. That's the only way to truly stop abortion.
I agree with your position. Personally, I think abortion is wrong, however I believe that women must have the ability to make their own choice--within certain limits. I think the system we have now basically works.

And, I agree that eliminating poverty (were that possible) would reduce drastically the number of abortions. So would a more sensible adoption policy.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #57 on: October 19, 2004, 07:05:56 PM »

Why do they seperate Incest and Rape, aren't they essentially one in the same?

(I guess unless you are from WVA then Incest would be considered marital bliss..... j/k)
raggage

« Reply #58 on: October 20, 2004, 05:03:42 AM »

(I guess unless you are from WVA then Incest would be considered marital bliss..... j/k)

No, most rapes are from offenders outside the victims family.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #59 on: October 20, 2004, 08:36:37 AM »

Incest is a form of rape.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #60 on: October 20, 2004, 08:41:35 AM »

Incest CAN be a form of rape, but incest itself does not necessarily make rape. Example - an adult brother and adult sister consentually have sex. It's incest, it's sick, it's unnatural, but it isn't rape.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #61 on: October 20, 2004, 08:44:26 AM »

Incest CAN be a form of rape, but incest itself does not necessarily make rape. Example - an adult brother and adult sister consentually have sex. It's incest, it's sick, it's unnatural, but it isn't rape.

So if it was consentual why would the woman want to abort? I agree it is sick but unnatural..I think thats going to far.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #62 on: October 20, 2004, 08:50:41 AM »

So if it was consentual why would the woman want to abort? I agree it is sick but unnatural..I think thats going to far.

Woah there. I never said anything about abortion, I was clarifying on incest(and partially why they seperate it from rape). Inbred babies do get problems sometimes however - increased risk for various mental and physical problems, which increases the more inbred they are. Whether that's grounds for allowing abortion or not, I'm not sure.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #63 on: October 20, 2004, 12:44:01 PM »
« Edited: October 20, 2004, 12:46:51 PM by SCJ Nym90 »

I am pro life.  I believe a woman has the right to chose, but she needs to do it before she has sex.  If she doesn't want to be pregnant, it is easily avoided.  Next the argument usually goes to raape victims, and this is certainly beyond the woman's control.  However, two wrongs do not make a right. 

I do not accept that the elimination of poverty will eliminate abortion.  Maby righ women and young girls have abortions.  I feel the same about education.  Sexually active people know where babies come from.  If you're referring to education for those contemplating abortion being educated about how disgusting abortion is, that has deferred many women.  The sight of an aborted fetus is gruesome, but has made some women think twice.

The vast majority of abortions are done because the woman can't afford to keep the baby, not because she doesn't care about it. The great majority of women want to have the child, but do not want it to have to go without; they feel it is more cruel to make a child live in abject poverty, with the increased risks to society that may result from the child growing up poorly (increased risk of the child becoming a criminal or at the very least a drag on society overall more than an asset).

You can argue against that logic if you wish, but it's simply wrong for people to say that women are being selfish and only care about themselves. Having an abortion is a difficult choice and women do consider all of the factors involved both pro and con in the vast majority of cases.

Now, the counter argument here would be that the child should be given up for adoption instead, and I would agree that this should be promoted. There should be financial rewards of some sort (tax incentives and the like, though for many poor women, tax incentives won't work; some other incentive should be used instead.)

And yes, education includes not just improving the quality of education in public schools, thus giving women the financial capability to provide for their children and thus not have to abort them, but would also include greater education about abortion itself; what it entails, and what the future consequences are to both the mother and the baby.

As I said, incentives work better than punishments, if the goal is to reduce the number of abortions performed. I never said they would eliminate abortions; but the reality of the situation is that punishments simply won't work as well as giving incentives for good behavior.

Brambila
Brambilla

« Reply #64 on: October 21, 2004, 07:25:03 PM »

The vast majority of abortions are done because the woman can't afford to keep the baby, not because she doesn't care about it. The great majority of women want to have the child, but do not want it to have to go without; they feel it is more cruel to make a child live in abject poverty, with the increased risks to society that may result from the child growing up poorly (increased risk of the child becoming a criminal or at the very least a drag on society overall more than an asset).

That's actually incorrect. There are a large amount of abortions that are done in cases where the couple can't afford children (21%), but about 70% of the cases are done in cases where the woman is young, doesn't want a child, is forced to have an abortion, etc.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #65 on: October 21, 2004, 08:44:32 PM »

That's actually incorrect. There are a large amount of abortions that are done in cases where the couple can't afford children (21%), but about 70% of the cases are done in cases where the woman is young, doesn't want a child, is forced to have an abortion, etc.

What is the source of this data, and is there a link?

In any event, the 3 cases that you listed are highly linked to lack of an ability to afford to have the baby. It may be only an indirect cause rather than a direct cause, but it still has as much influence.

Since the woman is young, she is less likely to be able to afford it.

The main reason women don't want the children is because they can't afford it.

No one can be "forced" to have an abortion, though I assume this means situations where the parents or father have attempted to put pressure on the woman to have one. ("Have an abortion or else we're throwing you out of the house" or some such). The main reasons for that are a lack of an ability to pay, or an unwillingness to pay on their part which then causes the woman not to have the ability to provide for the baby on her own.
Redefeatbush04

« Reply #66 on: November 16, 2004, 10:23:02 PM »

Abortion Rates.
"Abortion rates are computed per 1000 women 15-44 years of age"
1996 Statistics
Top 5 States

1. Nevada (44.6)
2. New York (41.1)
3. New Jersey (35.Cool
4. California (33.0)
5. Florida (32.0)

Bottom 5 states

46. Mississippi (7.2)
47. West Virginia (6.6)
48. Sout Dakota (6.5)
49. Idaho (6.1)
50. Wyoming (2.7)

NATIONAL AVERAGE (22.9)

Facts:

*ll use 1997 statistics unless otherwise noted*

1. 1. As of 1997, 58% of abortions were white/caucation. In 1990 it was 65%.

2. 42% of those who have an abortion have never had kids

3. 48% of those who have an abortion have had one before.....a "prior induced abortion"

4. 81% are not married

5. Nearly 3/4 have the abortion within 10 weeks

6. Out of 1364 abortions in 1995, 11 were for those under the age of 15.
Cashcow

« Reply #67 on: November 16, 2004, 10:31:29 PM »

Strongly pro-choice with the serious exception of partial-birth abortions. I am somewhat undecided on that issue, though it should be legal if the mother's life is in danger.

And I honestly can't believe there are those who would ban abortion even in a case of rape because "it's not the child's fault". The woman has MONTHS before it becomes anything more than a clump of cells!

Thank you Arlen Specter.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #68 on: November 16, 2004, 10:35:57 PM »

Bush state at the top, Bush state at the bottom.  I don't think you can read too much into this list.  Also, our society has been in the "center" of this issue for some time.  I don't think we'll be at one extreme (like China) or at the other (like Ireland) within our lifetimes.  I remember the first time I ever got a girl pregnant.  I was about 19 (that was about a million years ago).  I remember thinking, "you're not actually going to have the bastard, are you?" but I managed to bite my lip.  Guess I'm pro-choice, if you twist my arm and force me to choose a position, since, although I would advise a young woman with no money and no job not to have a baby, I certainly wouldn't force her to have one (as they do in some societies.)  But I hate to be grouped with the militant feminazis who like to call themselves Pro-Choice, capital P, capital C.  These folks seem to forget that those who oppose abortion do so on deeply held moral principles.  I think it's an issue that gets far too much airplay.  A sensitive, personal issue that both sides shamelessly exploit.  It should just go away.  It's a highly personal issue that should not be exploited, and both parties are having way too much fun with it.  shame on both of them.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #69 on: November 16, 2004, 11:06:09 PM »

Bush state at the top, Bush state at the bottom.  I don't think you can read too much into this list. 

No Kerry states near the bottom though, heh.

Nevada and Florida are both pretty libertarian.

I'd be more interested in the abortion rate DIVIDED BY the pregnancy rate.  Otherwise states like Wyoming have an unfair advantage.
English

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #70 on: November 17, 2004, 11:47:38 AM »

I'll hold my nose and go for pro-choice.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #71 on: November 17, 2004, 03:19:26 PM »

Strongly pro-choice with the serious exception of partial-birth abortions. I am somewhat undecided on that issue, though it should be legal if the mother's life is in danger.

And I honestly can't believe there are those who would ban abortion even in a case of rape because "it's not the child's fault". The woman has MONTHS before it becomes anything more than a clump of cells!

Thank you Arlen Specter.

That's about where i am as well.  I oppose partial birth abortion with life and health exceptions.  As far as I see it in the early stages, it's a clump of cells.  I don't know what the Catholic church/Evangelicals get all fussy about. 
Engineer
Rookie

« Reply #72 on: November 17, 2004, 04:11:36 PM »

Strongly pro-life. 

Some have stated that abortion should be legal say up to 18 -20 weeks or until the fetus can survive outside the womb.  Go back 30+ years, at that time at 6.5 - 7 months the fetus could survive outside the womb, otherwise it would most likely die.  Today's technologies has extended that back to the 18- 20 time frame.  Will technology in the next 30+ years extend it back all the way to the egg?  It is possible and most likely probable.  Now you have a problem with picking an arbitary date like 18 weeks, it is subject to change.  It really boils down to when life begins, at conception or at birth.

A fertilized human egg, the beginning of that 'clump of cells' always produces a human being (unless it has genetic problems).  Never a fish, never a dog.  This, precluding any religious overtures, makes a compelling argument for life at conception. 

If you then feel that life is started at conception, but still allow abortion (let's leave out abortion in cases of rape and the endangerment of the life of the mother - but not the health, becuase it is too open to interpretation), then let's extend the time for an abortion until 2 days after the baby is born.  They used to do this in some communist countries.  Then the mother can decide.  A birth is safer than an abortion (statistically proven), and that way any 'defects', such as extra fingers, downes syndrome or wrong eye color, can be spotted and the child 'aborted'.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #73 on: November 17, 2004, 04:14:54 PM »

Thank you Arlen Specter.

That's about where i am as well.  I oppose partial birth abortion with life and health exceptions.  As far as I see it in the early stages, it's a clump of cells.  I don't know what the Catholic church/Evangelicals get all fussy about. 

we are all "clumps of cells"
Cashcow

« Reply #74 on: November 17, 2004, 04:30:29 PM »

If you then feel that life is started at conception, but still allow abortion
I don't feel that way. Many others don't feel that way. You must take into consideration that the country is split over what exactly a human IS, and therefore a "birth line" cannot and should not be drawn.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies