Your position on abortion (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 03:37:57 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Your position on abortion (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Pro-life or Pro-choice
Strongly Pro-life
Pro-life
In the middle (or both for you Kerry fans)
Pro-choice
Strongly Pro-Choice
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: Your position on abortion  (Read 27405 times)
Bogart
bogart414
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.13, S: -5.39

« on: October 19, 2004, 06:52:06 PM »

Moderately pro-choice. I feel that abortion is usually morally wrong, but that throwing people in jail is not the answer. That only makes matters worse. I do not feel that the state should interfere in the decision; it should be up to the woman, her doctor, and her Creator.

Eliminating poverty would eliminate the vast majority of abortions at the same time. That's the only way to truly stop abortion.
I agree with your position. Personally, I think abortion is wrong, however I believe that women must have the ability to make their own choice--within certain limits. I think the system we have now basically works.

And, I agree that eliminating poverty (were that possible) would reduce drastically the number of abortions. So would a more sensible adoption policy.
Bogart
bogart414
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2004, 09:00:16 PM »

The problem, as I see it, is that many people fail to personalize this issue and rather choose to state a position. As someone here mentioned, it is a highly personal issue and no amount of rationalizing the amount of money a woman may have, how well prepared she may be, how far along the baby is or what someone's god may say about it will change that fact. I guess one could say that I am anti-abortion as a stance, but only from the standpoint that it would be better for any number of reasons not to need them. Realistically, I am pro-choice. I came to realize this when a member of my family came to me and asked if I would, should she decide to have an abortion, drive her to and from the procedure. At the time, I would have been opposed. However, at the point where I had to look at this special and terribly desperate young woman and tell her, "No I can't help you. Abortion is wrong," my opinion changed. There is no amount of rationalizing that will get rid of the fear that she felt at that moment.

Those of you who tell a woman that it is her fault and she should be made to suffer that way for her mistake should be ashamed of yourselves. Try walking in those shoes.
Bogart
bogart414
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2004, 01:36:20 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Again, rationalizing. Of course what you call murder was not the only option. But then again, the pro-life crowd are all about taking one option away. I'm sure that many would also be happy to know that it was an option not taken. Moreover, I do not subsribe to your morality, nor will I surrender the fight against those who seek to push it upon me. Frankly, I find your rather sanitized view of the entire debate rather offensive.
Bogart
bogart414
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2004, 12:19:45 PM »

I guess Im a bit of centerist here, I dont neccessarly think someones a person from conception though. I would probably go from brain activity.

Those of you who tell a woman that it is her fault and she should be made to suffer that way for her mistake should be ashamed of yourselves. Try walking in those shoes.

Bogart,
The argument would be that someone should provide care for the life they create, I believe abortion should be allowed very early. However the notion that pro-lifers are out to make women suffer is a bit childish. Suffering may be an unintended consequence but most pro-life people*I think* have made the determination that it is the lesser of two evils. I dont think anyone's out plotting to hurt other people or cause them to suffer.

Perhaps you interpretated that turn of phrase to mean more than I intended. I don't think the goal is to make a woman suffer. It is, however, a very real and well known implication of prohibiting abortion.  Futher, I think the characterization of such suffering as an "unintended consequence" is rather cold.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies