Conservatives : Do you feel like your views are hated on in the college setting ?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 12:29:21 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Conservatives : Do you feel like your views are hated on in the college setting ?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Conservatives : Do you feel like your views are hated on in the college setting ?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 27

Author Topic: Conservatives : Do you feel like your views are hated on in the college setting ?  (Read 797 times)
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2024, 07:24:57 PM »

This is very much a choose your own adventure.  I went to two flagship SEC schools (Miss St and UGA) and found both to be very conservative.  

Bama too, but it depended on the circles in which you ran.  

Thank god you guys don’t have Nick Saban anymore . Alabama won’t be winning for a while now
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2024, 07:40:27 PM »

How much leftists students are there on the average american economic major college classes? (I'm talking about intermediate macroeconomics, industrial organization, monetary theory, etc, not intro micro or intro macro which to my understanding are also studied by people of other majors to complete their general studies requirements).

From my experience college students in STEM fields like CS, ECON, and math tend to be less political but not necessarily Conservative.

Economics ain't STEM. Maybe the econometrics majors and the 'math economics' MIT majors, but not the rest.

My bad - I'm a math major so all the ECON classes I've taken and am thinking about taking skew more mathy - sometimes I forget.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2024, 09:01:25 PM »

How much leftists students are there on the average american economic major college classes? (I'm talking about intermediate macroeconomics, industrial organization, monetary theory, etc, not intro micro or intro macro which to my understanding are also studied by people of other majors to complete their general studies requirements).
A good number in my classes.
HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2024, 11:26:15 PM »

Maybe not so much economic views, but disagreeing with certain social positions (gun control, prohibitions on hate speech, affirmative action, Israel/Palestine, and these days "aBolIsHing" the police or prisons and certain aspects of queer jargon) will get you labeled a "literal Nazi" and viciously personally attacked.

Then the Overton Window seems to extend infinitely to the left but not one inch to the right. So much tankie BS, Oliver Stone CIA conspiracy theory crap. When I was in college a class was effectively stopped so we could debate whether the CIA gave Hugo Chavez cancer, with the consensus of course being yes and anyone who pointed out how implausible that was getting yelled at. There's no tolerance for the right wing equivalent of this stuff, Alex Jones conspiracy theories would just get shouted down and then they'd move on, same deal with the right wing authoritarian equivalent of tankies.

If they truly support free speech then it should apply to right wingers too or if they think it's their job to police opinions they need to police the left's just as much as the right.
Secretary of State Liberal Hack
IBNU
YaBB God
Singapore

« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2024, 12:11:03 AM »

I was a liberal at A&M and a liberal at NUS, my answer: Lol.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #30 on: May 08, 2024, 06:29:31 PM »

This new book called “God and Man at Yale” is eye-opening, I had no idea that conservatives felt this way!
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #31 on: May 08, 2024, 06:48:51 PM »

What do you expect with Females as Teachers, only men teach Math and Science Females teaches Music and Liberal Arts
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #32 on: May 08, 2024, 11:57:29 PM »

Being a Christian with certain views about human relations and sexuality would immediately earn me serious disapproval, long before we got to any questions of actual policy. When I was in college I was a libertarian atheist who affirmed the political stances that the people around me cared about most, yet despite all that me simply having a mild personal skepticism of alcohol resulted in a surprising amount of social pressure. As Scott noted early in the thread, you don't even have to be a conservative for your views to fall outside of the realm of what is socially acceptable on college campuses.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies