General Election: State Pickups Clinton vs. Obama (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 06:14:54 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  General Election: State Pickups Clinton vs. Obama (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: General Election: State Pickups Clinton vs. Obama  (Read 1032 times)
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« on: February 12, 2008, 08:43:31 AM »

I think there will be relatively few state pick-ups. And I actually think Clinton would pick up more than Obama. The reason is that, simplifying, Obama plays to McCain's strengths while Clinton plays to his weaknesses. Obama's appeal is mostly toward suburban independents. These are exactly the kind of people McCain appeals to. The kind of states where Obama would expect to do well (Nevada, Oregon, Colorado, etc) are the places where McCain wóuld do well. So I expect them to tend to cancel out. In the conservative rural places where Obama would do badly McCain is gonna have troubles with the base. That would also tend to cancel out. So, overall, I'd expect few switch-overs in an Obama v McCain race.

In McCain versus Clinton, Clinton appeals to rural whites, the kind of voters who like Huckabee and may distrust McCain. The Obama voters on the other hand may stay home or even vote for McCain to an extent in western states. So I'd expect more switch-overs in a Clinton v McCain race.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2008, 05:09:25 PM »

I think there will be relatively few state pick-ups. And I actually think Clinton would pick up more than Obama. The reason is that, simplifying, Obama plays to McCain's strengths while Clinton plays to his weaknesses. Obama's appeal is mostly toward suburban independents. These are exactly the kind of people McCain appeals to. The kind of states where Obama would expect to do well (Nevada, Oregon, Colorado, etc) are the places where McCain wóuld do well. So I expect them to tend to cancel out. In the conservative rural places where Obama would do badly McCain is gonna have troubles with the base. That would also tend to cancel out. So, overall, I'd expect few switch-overs in an Obama v McCain race.

In McCain versus Clinton, Clinton appeals to rural whites, the kind of voters who like Huckabee and may distrust McCain. The Obama voters on the other hand may stay home or even vote for McCain to an extent in western states. So I'd expect more switch-overs in a Clinton v McCain race.
no way.  Obama's appeal is much broader than that.  Hillary is hated by most rural whites.  I don't buy this AT ALL.  Conservative Rural places have been overwhelmingly voting for Obama in the primaries.  Yes, it's a dem primary, but I see no evidence that Hillary will do better there than Obama.  Conservatives will be less likely to vote for a woman than a black man, for the record.

I don't see you countering any of my arguments here but...ok. Winning conservative rural places in a Democratic primary doesn't say all that much. The Democratic primary voters of Utah aren't that conservative. Now, if you want evidence you can look at some of the many state polls we've seen out of places like Oklahoma, Tennessee and Kentucky. They all show Obama doing horribly, and much worse than Clinton. And Obama's "broad appeal" does not seem to extent to the white Democratic primary voters of the South, to name just one group. It also doesn't seem to extent to Hispanic or Asian voters. Or blue-collar voters.

He's a pretty good candidate and he's done remarkably well in the primaries so far. But he's tied with Clinton. So he still hasn't gotten more than 50% of the Democratic primary vote. So let's not get too carried away.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies