Excited for the President's address to Congress? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 01:00:21 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Excited for the President's address to Congress? (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Are you excited for President Obama's first address to a joint session of Congress?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 32

Author Topic: Excited for the President's address to Congress?  (Read 10827 times)
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« on: February 24, 2009, 07:39:57 PM »

It is exciting, I agree with Phil. Big events like this are what I love about politics. I'll be stuck playing FFXI while it's on but I'll try to listen.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2009, 09:28:11 PM »

Im afraid to post in this thread. It's so blue. Tongue
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2009, 09:48:07 PM »

Republicans not standing to cheer for a children's health insurance bill?

Scumbags. They can rot in hell.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2009, 09:54:01 PM »

Uh...Nancy almost falling off the rostrum was a little much, no? This woman really needs to calm herself. What a tool.

She is pretty... energetic.. tonight. Tongue
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2009, 10:10:33 PM »

Says the guy with the anti Catholic, dishonest, Pro Lifer hating cartoon in his signature.  Roll Eyes

By the way, I love how Obama still has to do the campaign speech nonsense during this address. You have to love how he had to get that deficit jab in just to satisfy the hacks.

I'm not in the mood to allow you to ruin another thread. Can we avoid this just for one night?
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2009, 10:11:07 PM »

I thought that was a very good speech, by the way. Obama always seems unusually confident.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2009, 10:14:08 PM »

Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2009, 10:16:49 PM »

Even as an Obama-speech cynic, I have to say that he knocked that shit out of the park. Wow.

10 out of 10.

If I had to grade it like that I'd probably give it an 8, it was definitely solid. He stumbled a few times though, and neglecting to mention his plans to withdraw troops from Iraq sort of bothers me on some level. Overall quite good.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2009, 10:20:06 PM »

Will all the networks carry Jindal?  I'm thinking I should switch over to FNC just in case.

I had on ABC, did I miss it or are they ignoring him?

I'm pretty sure everyone will cover him.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2009, 10:24:57 PM »

LOL Did anyone catch the "Oh god..." from Chris Matthews as Jindal came on? Tongue
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2009, 10:25:59 PM »

Awesome speech, loved it.  This guy has a way of inspiring.  I feel hopeful having him around.  I don't give two craps about what Jindal or anyone in the GOP has to say.  This is a good recovery plan and let's get it done as a people. 

Oh God Jindal sounds like a hyperactive high school student reading lines at a school play.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2009, 10:27:48 PM »

Jindal sounds like a voice actor staring at cue cards trying to insert a Southern twang.

Of course, he's only staring a cue cards.

Yeah, speaking certainly isn't Jindal's strong point.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2009, 10:30:32 PM »

jindal has a very umm interesting voice and way of speaking im having a hard time taking him seriously because of it.

Baby talk!
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2009, 10:34:14 PM »

Wow, Piyush has been really embarassing tonight. Is this how he normally speaks?

Imagine listening to it for four years.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2009, 10:38:04 PM »

MSNBC is speechless. Tongue
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2009, 10:42:12 PM »

I really doubt that his chances for the nomination are sunk because of an address that few people will see or remember.

Wow, Piyush has been really embarassing tonight. Is this how he normally speaks?

I love when Democrats can make fun of someone's name...  Roll Eyes

I remember Tim Kaine's name being mentioned pretty heavily for 2008 until he bombed giving a rebuttal.  2005 or 2006, I can't remember which.

No one talked about Kaine for President in 2008. No one talked about it seriously at least.

Anyway, MSNBC is a huge joke. Chris Matthews basically said that the GOP can't talk about corruption because Scooter Libby was a registered Republican. Really, Chris? That's the best you have?

You're ignoring other things Chris and Rachel mentioned, like "Bobby" invoking Katrina as an example of why we can't depend on government. Seriously? It had nothing to do with Republicans cramming a little known independent agency called FEMA into Homeland Security to 'consolidate' government?
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2009, 10:43:29 PM »

Now he's the 'hope' candidate, too. 

Dude, he's not campaigning.  He's given a State of the Union response speech.

Right, and Obama's wasn't the first major stump speech of the 2012 elections.  Jindal wouldn't be doing this if the GOP wasn't trying him out for the same election.

I have to agree on the importance of these speeches. How many of us here remember Obama from 2004? Good speeches can last awhile and bad speeches early on can kill a potential candidate.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2009, 10:51:48 PM »

You're ignoring other things Chris and Rachel mentioned, like "Bobby" invoking Katrina as an example of why we can't depend on government. Seriously? It had nothing to do with Republicans cramming a little known independent agency called FEMA into Homeland Security to 'consolidate' government?

Actually, uh, it is a classic example as to why we can't rely totally on the government.

Of course you deliver your typical hack nonsense and give no blame to the Democratic Governor at the time.

There was plenty of blame to go around to be sure, but people seem to forget that Government is a tool used to accomplish a goal used by the party in power.

The Democrats in Louisiana deserve some of the blame, but Bush seemed generally disinterested in the affair and FEMA (which deserves the most blame) was horrifically mismanaged and ran in the run-up to the landing of the hurricane.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2009, 10:56:11 PM »

Actually, uh, it is a classic example as to why we can't rely totally on the government.

Of course you deliver your typical hack nonsense and give no blame to the Democratic Governor at the time.

There was plenty of blame to go around to be sure, but people seem to forget that Government is a tool used to accomplish a goal used by the party in power.

The Democrats in Louisiana deserve some of the blame, but Bush seemed generally disinterested in the affair and FEMA (which deserves the most blame) was horrifically mismanaged and ran in the run-up to the landing of the hurricane.

I certainly won't deny that the federal end was a mess but I think we need to hear more about all levels of government that failed during that time.

Definitely, but I'm sure you can agree that after 8 years of Republican dominance the Republican response being catered directly at railing against the recent failures of government was an unusual strategy to say the least.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2009, 11:24:43 PM »

Definitely, but I'm sure you can agree that after 8 years of Republican dominance the Republican response being catered directly at railing against the recent failures of government was an unusual strategy to say the least.

Jindal made it very, very clear that Republicans fell away from what we believe and it made us susceptible to corruption. I don't see what is wrong with that.

So when Republicans fail it's secretly them being infected by a liberal philosophy and why we need to elect not Democrats but even more conservative Republicans?

How does that politically make sense?
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2009, 11:28:59 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-3QasF4Bik

One of my favorite clips of the speech. Tongue
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2009, 11:31:39 PM »

Jindal made it very, very clear that Republicans fell away from what we believe and it made us susceptible to corruption. I don't see what is wrong with that.

So when Republicans fail it's secretly them being infected by a liberal philosophy and why we need to elect not Democrats but even more conservative Republicans?

How does that politically make sense?

Roll Eyes

Or we fell away from our fiscally responsible roots, took part in irresponsible spending sprees and, like I said, became more susceptible to corruption.

I'm supposed to feel sorry for the Republicans, like they fell of the wagon, or something?
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2009, 11:37:48 PM »

Phil, before you lose control of yourself, all I'm saying is that it bothers me that whenever Republicans fail or screw something up, it was the Liberal philosophy that actually caused it. Ronald Reagan? One of the greatest presidents ever. The outrageous debt he racked up? Big spending liberals in congress!

Republicans have said similar things over the last 8 years. (And similarly, we've doubled the debt.)
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2009, 11:43:31 PM »

But why should I give them any sympathy? Why should anyone care that they're sorry for (for the second time in three decades) engaging in horrifically irresponsible fiscal policy?
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2009, 11:49:44 PM »

Good Lord, I'm talking about the argument in general used by the Party, this isn't personal. Roll Eyes
Pages: [1] 2  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies