FL-SEN: Is Rubio about to bungle it? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 03:39:48 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  FL-SEN: Is Rubio about to bungle it? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: FL-SEN: Is Rubio about to bungle it?  (Read 105073 times)
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« on: March 24, 2015, 11:21:49 AM »

Florida Democratic U.S Representative and liberal Ted Deutch who was also mentioned as a potential U.S Senate candidate endorsed Patrick Murphy.  This may start the process of Florida Democrats rallying around Murphy and keeping Grayson from running.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2015, 12:06:08 PM »

I wouldn't mind Grayson running in the primary. He'd lose obviously, so Murphy would get to position himself as a mainstream Democrat facing off against the loony left. Plus we'd replace Grayson in the House with someone less insane.

Grayson has gotten more legislation passed during his time in Congress than any other member.  He's far from insane.

He was also correct about the Republican Party platform on healthcare "Don't get sick, and if you do get sick, die quickly."
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2015, 09:17:44 PM »

I wouldn't mind Grayson running in the primary. He'd lose obviously, so Murphy would get to position himself as a mainstream Democrat facing off against the loony left. Plus we'd replace Grayson in the House with someone less insane.

The problem would be Grayson bloodying Murphy by accusing him of being a Taliban member or something. He'd have a lot of his own cash with which to do so.

Grayson has actually settled on being a serious legislator and has toned down his partisan comments significantly.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2016, 03:17:25 AM »

I originally posted this on another thread:

1.The story said it took him nine times to pass the CPA final exam.  And?  He passed it in the end.

2.The story said he was certified in Colorado and not Florida, but that he was working for a CPA firm in Florida.  And?  CPA firms hire lots of non-certified people with a background in bookkeeping or accounting.  I would guess that in most firms, the largest number of employees, if not the majority, are 3rd level accounting students who do the grunt work.

At most, they showed that Murphy stretched the truth in his claim that he was a CPA, when he only had a certification as a CPA in Colorado and not in Florida.

3.The story referred to 'accounting experts who suspect Murphy...'  So, no names given, just 'experts' who have 'suspicions' but no evidence or proof.  Textbook yellow journalism.

I thought the second half of the story on Murphy's claim that he was a 'small business owner' were fairer. Based on that story,  he should refer to himself as an executive in a family owned business and not as a small business owner.  Still, if Rapist Trump's only lie was that he was 'self made' and not that he lies about everything all the time, I wouldn't consider that to be a very big deal.

So, if that's the only evidence that Patrick Murphy lies or stretches the truth, I'd say there isn't much there. I'll wait for the second part of this 'expose', but I'd take it with a grain of salt, as the first half of the first part was either a deliberate hatchet job or was based on a complete misunderstanding of how accounting firms operate.

The story promised to determine whether Patrick Murphy was qualified to be a U.S Senator.  So, I presume Part II will be about his time in the House.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2016, 10:52:54 AM »

Here is a link to an article on Murphy's response:  http://floridapolitics.com/archives/214404-patrick-murphy-campaign-pushes-back-cbs-miami-story-exaggerated-business-background

I already wrote that one part of the story was a textbook example of yellow journalism, but if Murphy's response is true, it seems the entire story was a hatchet job.

I suggest an investigation into both the resume of the writer of the CBS news story, Jim De Fede (sarcasm), and into whether he has any ties to the Florida Republican Party or to Marco Rubio or any of the other Republican Primary candidates (serious.)
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2016, 11:43:43 AM »
« Edited: June 23, 2016, 11:48:06 AM by Adam T »

That's the saddest refutation I've ever seen in my life. Didn't actually refute a single one of CBS's claims, just twisted the words around a little and tried to get by on technicalities.  You're not the only one who read the story, Adam, and youre not doing anyone a favor twisting yourself into a pretzel trying to defend this scumbag.

Except the whole first half of the story is based on technicalities.  When does a person with a CPA designation actually work as a CPA? (If they're partners in the firm or the owner of a sole firm.)  Did Murphy claim to work as a CPA? (no)  Do all the people who work in accounting at CPA firms need to have a CPA designation? (no).

These are all technical matters and I think this story relies on people not knowing the answers to these questions and assuming that the reporter is truthful.

I suppose you could argue that in saying that he was a CPA, that Murphy did imply that he worked as  a CPA, but he is a CPA and he worked as an accountant.  The only people who actually work as CPAs in an accounting firm are the partners and if you read the Murphy campaign response, he claims to have made it quite clear that he never was a partner at the firm, and he also claims that he actually stated what the nature of his accounting work was at the firm, which I believe the reporter of this story claimed that he had to investigate.

I actually previously wrote that all this story shows is that, at worst, Murphy stretched his resume.  And as I previously wrote, I don't think that is much of an expose.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2016, 04:22:29 AM »
« Edited: June 24, 2016, 04:24:06 AM by Adam T »

>calls Murphy story yellow journalism/hatch job
>calls Trump a rapist in same post
>is Canadian and has no stake in race either way

1.I said part of the story was yellow journalism.  That part is a textbook definition of yellow journalism.  I similarly only said it was possible the whole story is a hatchet job.

2.I've explained this a number of times.  My referring to Rapist Trump as 'Rapist Trump' is a comment on him giving people nicknames and accusing them of things for which he has no evidence. It isn't meant to be taken literally.

That said, given Ivana Trump's affidavit that he committed statutory rape against her, and her later supposed recanting of that affidavit that is one of the most bizarre statements I've ever read and that her divorce from Rapist Trump was granted on the grounds of his  "cruel and inhuman treatment" of her I think it is highly likely that he did rape her.   Of course, he was never charged yet alone convicted.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies