Predict the Makeup of the Senate (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 07, 2024, 12:44:06 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Predict the Makeup of the Senate (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Including King and Sanders as Democrats
56/44 D or more

55/44 D

54/46 D

53/47 D

52/48 D

51/49 D

50/50 D (Clinton wins presidency)

50/50 R (Trump wins presidency)

51/49 R

52/48 R

53/47 R or more

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 42

Author Topic: Predict the Makeup of the Senate  (Read 1039 times)
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« on: August 25, 2016, 05:27:39 AM »

50-50 with Kaine as tiebreaker.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2016, 11:07:44 AM »

At the moment, it seems that Democrats are gaining 5 seats (IL, WI, IN, PA, NH), without losing any, which would result in a Senate that is 51/49 D. On the one hand, several Democratic wins (PA, NH, NV) seem to be very close, while the only Republican win that is averaging narrower than 3 points at the moment is NC; this suggests to me that if the election were run tomorrow, 50/50 (with Kaine tiebreaking) might be a likelier result than 51/49. At the same time, the 5 pickups even as presidential momentum is going the wrong way is a result that reminds me strongly of 2008, when during the summer Democrats were gaining 5 seats (at that time, AK, CO, NM, VA, and NH) but others seemed decently safe; the Obama landslide ended up roping in 3 more (NC, OR, and by just a hair MN). These were not the seats that seemed close over the summer (when MS was polling a very close, single-digit hold for Rs); they were the places where Obama did well. It's easy for me to see Hillary's continued landslide roping in NC, FL, and maybe OH or IA; harder to see AZ, GA, or MO falling, on the other hand. If momentum continues Hillary's way, 53/47 seems like the likeliest result.

After overthinking it like this, I just went with my original estimate of 51/49 D.

Very solid reasoning, but i still stick to mine. Democrats (more so in midterms, of course) have peculiar habit to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. 2014 comes to mind immediately - couple of weeks before election most Democrats on news sites were reasonably sure to preserve their Senate majority.. Again, less so in presidential year, but - still. Turnout among minorities, for example, may be less then in 2012 and 2008 simply because Clinton is not a minority...
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies