Scottish Independence Referendum - 18 September 2014 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 03, 2024, 01:01:49 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Scottish Independence Referendum - 18 September 2014 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Scottish Independence Referendum - 18 September 2014  (Read 146996 times)
JerryArkansas
jerryarkansas
YaBB God
United States

« on: April 20, 2014, 03:07:23 PM »

Sorry if this has been brought up before, but has there been much discussion about what Scottish independence would mean for the Labor Party in Westminster, if they lost a huge base of support and seats due to losing Scotland?
There has been.  Labor would have to rethink it's election strategy if they want to win.  Losing Scotland will be to Labor what losing CA, OR, WA, and HI would be for the democrats here in America.
JerryArkansas
jerryarkansas
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2014, 05:44:38 PM »

Sorry if this has been brought up before, but has there been much discussion about what Scottish independence would mean for the Labor Party in Westminster, if they lost a huge base of support and seats due to losing Scotland?

It has, and the answer is that Scotland has too few seats to make a difference except in the most close elections. It won't lead to eternal Torie dominance forever. The real Labour base is Northern England, so unless Manchester and Liverpool suddenly want to become independent, left-wing Englishmen have nothing to fear.  

In difference to what Jerry said , it's not really like losing the entire West coast. Scotland doesn't even hold 10% of the UK population... 

Sure it'll make it harder, but not that much harder.
I agree I made a bit of a hyperbole, it would be more like losing just CA.
JerryArkansas
jerryarkansas
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2014, 04:18:19 PM »

Yes yes yes.  My brethren will hopefully throw off the shackles of the British.
JerryArkansas
jerryarkansas
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2014, 07:17:40 PM »

The Prime Minster needs to delay the parliamentary elections.  I just did the math, Labour would have a 42 seat majority based on polling now, and they would likely have 49 seats in Scotland. 
JerryArkansas
jerryarkansas
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2014, 07:30:12 PM »
« Edited: September 06, 2014, 07:33:18 PM by JerryArkansas »

The Prime Minster needs to delay the parliamentary elections.  I just did the math, Labour would have a 42 seat majority based on polling now, and they would likely have 49 seats in Scotland. 

But don't they legally have to hold the next election within five years of the previous one (meaning 2015)?

My understanding of the law is horrible, but I belive if a national emergency were to occur, he could delay it.

Given that the total number of seats would go down with 59, that would still be a Labour majority after Scotlands secession.
I could see that happening, but it would be not desirable to have your majority slashed like that only after a year.

Edit, read the law, he could delay it, but only by a few months, to maybe June or July.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies