probability that the following potential GOP candidates will run in 2012 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 10:12:47 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  probability that the following potential GOP candidates will run in 2012 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: probability that the following potential GOP candidates will run in 2012  (Read 9966 times)
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« on: October 03, 2008, 10:16:24 AM »

Crist --  I like him, so I would hope so.  But I have a feeling he doesn't want people discussing his sexuality.  Not saying he's gay, but it will be discussed and, sadly, that alone might doom him.  Wish it weren't so.

Giuliani --  Well, what's he going to do between now and then?  Speak?  Write?  I suppose if there is a McCain administration, he might be appointed to something.  Of course, none of this means he won't run.  Giuliani has a Gilmore-esque sense of his own importance so I'd say the chances of his running are better than average.

Huckabee --  Almost certain.  I look for his media profile to increase beyond what he's doing with Fox, too.  Listen for him on Focus on the Family and other conservative Christian radio shows.  I still don't quite understand why Dobson and the fundamentalists didn't take to Huck.  They probably won't make that mistake next time.

Jindal --  If Barack Obama can be taken seriously as a candidate, why not Piyush Jindal?  He's good looking, bright, effective and extremely conservative.  That should propel him to the fore.

Palin -- No.  Just, no.  Not unless she is a sitting Vice - President.

Pawlenty -- I don't know, honestly.  I'd be interested in hearing what Minnesotans have to say.  What is next for Pawlenty?  He might challenge Amy Klobuchar for Senate, no?

Pence --  Oh yes.  And his obstinate opposition to the bailout is going to be a cornerstone of his Presidential campaign.  Pence has a big following among religious rightists, too.  If they are still unsold on Huckabee, they'll look to Indiana.

Romney --  He can afford to, for sure.  The problem is, as with Rudy, what will he be doing for four years in between?  I mean, to keep his name out there?  He might go the news analyst route.  Maybe one of the financial networks?  One thing in Willard's favor -- he won't be running for Senate or Governor in Massachusetts again.  So he won't need to suddenly become moderate to win.  He can remain consistently conservative on social issues...and then, if called a flip-flopper in 2012, can say "that's really, really old news.  Everyone changes over time."  And he'll be right.

Sanford --  I trust AH Duke's take on the guy.  He's effective and conservative.  But he might be a bit too down home and folksy -- and by most accounts, he's happy as a clam being Governor.  He's not a ladder climber.

Thune --  Unless there is something about him I don't know, I expect him to run.  He's really a lightweight -- sort of a conservative John Edwards.  Good looks but not much else.  Have you heard him debate?  Yeesh.  Still, Thune one on one can be extremely engaging and charming.  He's the anti-Palin in interview settings.  If he does run, the religious right will be utterly ecstatic with choices including Thune, Pence and Huckabee.

Some other names to watch...

1.   Senator Richard Burr of North Carolina
2.   Governor John Huntsman of Utah
3.   Governor John Hoeven of North Dakota

A few blogs have touted Congressman Jeff Flake.  But seriously, last names matter.  I remember a mayoral campaign here with a guy named Belch running.  Some names just won't work -- fair or not.  President Flake? I hope he runs.

Steven Hayes of The Daily Standard has said Fred Thompson is seriously considering a 2012 run. Yeah, really.  LOL  I have a hard time imagining that but stranger things have happened.  I guess.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies