"Cromnibus" Spending Bill - Shutdown Averted! (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 04, 2024, 07:32:34 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  "Cromnibus" Spending Bill - Shutdown Averted! (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: "Cromnibus" Spending Bill - Shutdown Averted!  (Read 7922 times)
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« on: December 11, 2014, 07:20:59 PM »

Assuming Pelosi releases her caucus to vote as they wish, then the Bill clearly doesn't need the liberal Dems to put it over the top. It just needs a handful, which Obama/The White House can surely whip up.

Why would Obama and the Democrats want to save Bhoener's skin, again?
They'll get blamed if they're the ones who vote down the bill. I'd vote against it myself but from the perspective of success in the court of public opinion, it isn't in their interest to oppose this.
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2014, 09:00:26 PM »

Assuming Pelosi releases her caucus to vote as they wish, then the Bill clearly doesn't need the liberal Dems to put it over the top. It just needs a handful, which Obama/The White House can surely whip up.

They'll get blamed if they're the ones who vote down the bill. I'd vote against it myself but from the perspective of success in the court of public opinion, it isn't in their interest to oppose this.

Because the last shutdown worked out so badly for the Republican Party in this year's elections.
I didn't say it would hurt them in 2016, just that they would get the blame, plus they'd be blamed more so than the GOP in 2013 considering the Dems are a minority in both houses whereas the GOP was only a minority in the Senate.
Deus Naturae
Deus naturae
YaBB God
Croatia

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2014, 09:01:46 PM »

I'm not so sure they'd get all the blame.  After all, Republicans have the majority and should be able to pass a bill on their own.
They have a a majority, but not a veto-proof majority. Lyndon seemed to be implying that the Obama administration should oppose the bill.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies