Trump vs. Megyn Kelly *UPDATE* Trump disinvited from RedState gathering
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 08, 2024, 06:07:01 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Trump vs. Megyn Kelly *UPDATE* Trump disinvited from RedState gathering
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Author Topic: Trump vs. Megyn Kelly *UPDATE* Trump disinvited from RedState gathering  (Read 13216 times)
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: August 09, 2015, 12:10:22 AM »

There's a difference between overt political correctness and someone being a jackass and being called out for it. Trump has not just crossed that line, he runs around that line over and over again.

Amen to this. As much as I hate political correctness, not being a chode is a requirement. My only problem is that many people assume that nice behavior means that only certain political ideas are permitted.

And that's my point about Trump; his IDEAS are what's not permitted.  His loutishness is an excuse to preempt his ideas being presented in meaningful forums.

The voters can punish Trump if they believe he's too over the top, not Presidential, etc.  Excluding the front-runner from an event for ANY reason is preemption.  Elitist preemption at that.  Let the voters hear Trump, let them hear Trump alongside all the others, and then let them make up their minds.

The last thing Trump should want is for GOP primary voters to know his ideas. Universal health care, a 14% wealth tax, being pro-choice, gun control, and protectionism are all positions he has taken. Those positions are the opposite of Republican positions.

Also, the problem for Trump's supporters isn't that he was excluded from the debates, it's that he completely flopped and was embarrassed in front of 24 million people. He even made Ben Carson look somewhat articulate for crying out loud.

I think Trump's heterodox economic views are less of a hamper to the sectors of the GOP base than you might otherwise think. There's a reason, say, Nigel Farage or Marine Le Pen position themselves with populist approaches to healthcare and tax.

Agreed.  Framing left-wing economic ideas in nationalistic imagery ("Let's make America win again!" rather than "Black lives matter"/"Think of the starving children") can make them popular among the "beer track" of the GOP base.  

I really don't know what Trump's current position on healthcare is.  Needless to say, a single-payor system is not going to pass, period.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #76 on: August 09, 2015, 12:13:42 AM »

WaPo revisits Trump's history of misogynistic comments:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/trumps-history-of-flippant-misogyny/2015/08/08/891f1bec-3de4-11e5-9c2d-ed991d848c48_story.html?postshare=7381439078082663

You must be logged in to read this quote.

...etc.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #77 on: August 09, 2015, 02:10:50 AM »

A quote from Trump's Iowa co-chair:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/andrewkaczynski/trump-iowa-co-chair-attacks-on-megyn-kelly-are-fair-game#.lizp5O6gJ

I'm no dummy, I've been tested.  Does everyone on the Trump campaign talk like this?  Tongue
BM
BeccaM
United States

« Reply #78 on: August 09, 2015, 03:57:01 AM »

Trump is the gift that keeps on giving.

And the best part is the field is so crowded that he's probably not going to lose his frontrunner status anytime soon. He's the only reason there's so much attention on this race and his celebrity alone will keep him at or near the top of the polls Smiley Love him! Destroy the Republican Party from within!
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #79 on: August 09, 2015, 06:02:31 AM »

Ezra Klein has a great column here explaining the background on Trump vs. Fox:

http://www.vox.com/2015/8/8/9121377/donald-trump-megyn-kelly
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #80 on: August 09, 2015, 12:41:16 PM »

The best thing about Trump is that he's calling attention to the utter nonsense that is complaints about political correctness. Being a polite, decent, sensitive person is "politically correct" and being a raging prick is "not having time for political correctness" or whatever. The GOP might only now be realizing that they've been waging a war on manners for the last thirty years and as a result, raised-in-a-barn Donald Trump is becoming a folk hero. Trump can continue to make PMS jokes and call women pigs or whatever and when his opponents call him out they're the agents of political correctness and censorship.
TransfemmeGoreVidal
Fulbright DNC
United States

« Reply #81 on: August 09, 2015, 01:20:19 PM »

I can't stand Trump or his politics but it obviously was just a joke. I find it sad that so many of my fellow liberals have become so ultra-PC.
Bigby
Mod_Libertarian_GOPer
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: 3.74

« Reply #82 on: August 09, 2015, 03:44:11 PM »

I can't stand Trump or his politics but it obviously was just a joke. I find it sad that so many of my fellow liberals have become so ultra-PC.

I'm not liberal by any means, but I can't blame them for their outrage. Trump is a whiny baby who is making immature jokes because he didn't get what he wanted from Megyn Kelly.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #83 on: August 09, 2015, 03:54:03 PM »

I'm not liberal by any means, but I can't blame them for their outrage. Trump is a whiny baby who is making immature jokes because he didn't get what he wanted from Megyn Kelly.

Indeed. For someone as adamantly opposed to the PC movement as he, he sure gets awfully testy whenever someone says un-PC things about him.
dmmidmi
dmwestmi
United States

« Reply #84 on: August 09, 2015, 08:15:18 PM »

Don't be surprised when Trump breaks the 30% threshold in most polls in the next few days.

Most analysts insist that he lost the debate, but every opinion poll says different. Analysts' inability to gauge the pulse of the electorate has never been displayed so clearly. Comments like this won't hurt Trump. Haven't we learned this by now?
hopper
United States

« Reply #85 on: August 10, 2015, 12:33:50 AM »

I just wanted to say that a comment like "she has blood coming out of her eyes" is an odd comment to make.
CapoteMonster
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.49, S: -2.61

« Reply #86 on: August 10, 2015, 03:02:30 PM »

Now the Donald's going after Megyn Kelly as a deviant.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/630731186797707264

God Help us all.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #87 on: August 15, 2015, 06:52:35 PM »

It's not quite over!  Megyn Kelly announced a short vacation last week, and on Friday, Trump claimed responsibility:

http://www.adweek.com/tvnewser/fox-news-ridicules-trumps-bizarre-comments-about-megyn-kellys-vacation/269758

Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #88 on: August 25, 2015, 06:34:40 AM »

And she's back from vacation, and he continues to troll her:

link
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies