Which states qualify as culturally Southern? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 03, 2024, 06:17:23 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Which states qualify as culturally Southern? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Which states qualify as culturally Southern?
Texas
Oklahoma
Missouri
Indiana
Louisiana
Mississippi
Alabama
Kentucky
Tennesee
West Virginia
Georgia
Florida
South Carolina
North Carolina
Virginia
Arkansas
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: Which states qualify as culturally Southern?  (Read 4667 times)
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« on: October 10, 2014, 02:17:39 PM »

The South is probably the region of the country where people camp the least. The weather is super hot and humid and there are insects everywhere. Hunting is moderately popular with some people, but not to the extent of places closer to the Great Lakes. To the extent that we have outdoor recreation, popular things to do revolve around water. It's refreshng on a hot day. People in Memphis love to drive eight hours each way to go to the Redneck Riviera of the Florida Panhandle. Swimming. Jet skiing. Driving the four wheeler nowhere in particular. People love big loud engines. But, for the most part, we're very much an indoor society.  Summer is very much for parking your butt in front of a television away from the bugs and the weather.
As for the question, obviously states are heterogenous creatures, but even if they weren't, fitting a cultural model isn't a binary thing.

You can camp all year long in the Keys. In the summers its in the 80s and Winters its in the 70s. I used to like to go fishing and snorkeling there, too. I even tried to play with a fish that caught while snorkeling, but it bit me and ran away. Sad
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2014, 02:31:26 PM »

All of: Louisiana, Arkansas, Missouri, Kentucky, Tennessee, Alabama, Mississippi, Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina, West Virginia

Parts of: Virginia, Florida, Texas

We do like to joke that Indiana is the "south of the north" here, though.

I'd go with that. There is even parts of Southern Ohio that you could consider "Southern". I heard a lot of people from Kentucky crossed into Ohio and Indiana during the 50s. With only one full-sized Midwestern city, Indiana is much more conservative that Ohio, that has several Midwestern cities...or it could just be that Indiana is much more rural, but its no more rural than its neighbors to the north.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies