House Leadership Megathread: it's House of Cards but without the monologues
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 08:05:04 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  House Leadership Megathread: it's House of Cards but without the monologues
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14
Author Topic: House Leadership Megathread: it's House of Cards but without the monologues  (Read 30892 times)
whiplash
Rookie
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #200 on: October 09, 2015, 05:09:22 PM »

The Black Lion is taking the lead.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #201 on: October 09, 2015, 06:37:44 PM »

If the Freedom Caucus is refusing to back Ryan, doesn't that negate the whole point of him running in the first place?  If I were a Republican, I would be absolutely furious with these people.

I believe jdb is confused - his link doesn't say the Freedom Caucus is refusing to back Ryan (and indeed they haven't said that at all)

I didn't have time to put up the link about Ryan, will do it tomorrow.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #202 on: October 09, 2015, 06:53:29 PM »

"Reconsidering?"

He's basically in now. And that means that he's basically Speaker.

You mean like how McCarthy was basically speaker?
BaconBacon96
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #203 on: October 09, 2015, 06:55:29 PM »

I wonder if any of the former candidates for Majority Leader will run.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #204 on: October 09, 2015, 06:58:34 PM »

Didn't 50 Republicans sign a petition saying they would never vote for Ryan as Speaker, since he compromised with Patty Murray to have a budget, a few years ago?
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #205 on: October 09, 2015, 07:36:17 PM »

I have updated the OP with a list of all potential Speaker candidates.

Here's an article about the House Freedom Caucus's possible opposition to Paul Ryan, btw. They dislike that budget compromise and his views on immigration, but the real make-or-break deal is their list of suggested procedural reforms to the House. They refuse to support any candidate for Speaker unless they have faith the candidate will return the house to "normal order", introduce proportional representation to the Steering Committee, allow Committees to elect their own leaders, and in general devolve more authority away from the Speaker's office to the Committees and the Members of Congress themselves. If Ryan were to agree to all of that, they would probably support him (but he'd be entering what would basically become a symbolic office)
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #206 on: October 09, 2015, 07:43:34 PM »

Here's an article about the House Freedom Caucus's possible opposition to Paul Ryan, btw. They dislike that budget compromise and his views on immigration, but the real make-or-break deal is their list of suggested procedural reforms to the House. They refuse to support any candidate for Speaker unless they have faith the candidate will return the house to "normal order", introduce proportional representation to the Steering Committee, allow Committees to elect their own leaders, and in general devolve more authority away from the Speaker's office to the Committees and the Members of Congress themselves. If Ryan were to agree to all of that, they would probably support him (but he'd be entering what would basically become a symbolic office)
I see absolutely no reason why Paul Ryan would want to willingly and knowingly put himself in that position.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #207 on: October 09, 2015, 07:45:59 PM »

Ryan is too smart to pay any such ransom, or really make any promises at all. If the Freedom Caucus really wants to hold the Pub conference hostage, I hope there are enough wise and courageous centrists of both parties to cut some kind of deal - for the good of the nation. This is just disgusting.
Mehmentum
Icefire9
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #208 on: October 09, 2015, 07:53:40 PM »

Its pretty obvious that Ryan doesn't want the job, and is only reconsidering out of a sense of duty.  Would he really take it if he has to make those kinds of concessions?
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #209 on: October 09, 2015, 08:03:56 PM »

There's always the possibility that the Freedom Caucus may be willing to compromise on some of their demands (I would not be able to say this with a straight face)

I've seen it suggested that the leadership is so desperate for Ryan to run that they've resorted to using both the carrot and the stick in their attempts to persuade him. For example, is there any way for Boehner to kick Paul Ryan out of the Ways and Means Chairmanship? Let's say he threatened to do so as a final "screw you" before he left office - that would force Ryan to suddenly start "seriously considering" it like he is now
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #210 on: October 09, 2015, 08:55:51 PM »

If the HFC truly refuses any compromise, what would happen?
Mehmentum
Icefire9
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #211 on: October 09, 2015, 09:13:47 PM »

If the HFC truly refuses any compromise, what would happen?
Either the GOP leadership caves, or a coalition of Democrats and Republicans elects a speaker.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #212 on: October 09, 2015, 09:43:09 PM »

Or Boehner is forced to stay on, despite wanting to go, because they can't agree on a replacement.

Or the House remains out of session until 2017.
Attorney General & PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #213 on: October 09, 2015, 10:26:09 PM »

Or Boehner is forced to stay on, despite wanting to go, because they can't agree on a replacement.

The 2nd one would mean shutting down the govt. when this fiscal year ends on Sept. 30, 2016, and keeping it shut down for at least three months. It would also mean defaulting on our debt unless it is risen so that it won't be reached before 2017 before Boehner leaves.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #214 on: October 09, 2015, 10:33:53 PM »

The 2nd one would mean shutting down the govt. when this fiscal year ends on Sept. 30, 2016, and keeping it shut down for at least three months. It would also mean defaulting on our debt unless it is risen so that it won't be reached before 2017 before Boehner leaves.
You're making it sound like that's not a possibility with this congress.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #215 on: October 09, 2015, 11:55:29 PM »

I'm thinking most likely is Boehner stays on. Second most likely is the Speaker Pro Tempore. Both avoid an election.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #216 on: October 10, 2015, 12:27:38 AM »

What would happen if Boehner struck a deal with Ryan to stay-on through the end of 2015 while completely disregarding the Hastert rule to do things like pass a budget, raise the debt ceiling and maybe even immigration reform with sensible Republicans and moderate Democrats?  That way, Ryan can come in as speaker in early 2016 without having to do any of the "dirty work" that the job typically requires, at least not for awhile anyway. 
/
darthebearnc
Junior Chimp
« Reply #217 on: October 10, 2015, 12:30:12 AM »

"Reconsidering?"

He's basically in now. And that means that he's basically Speaker.

You mean like how McCarthy was basically speaker?

It's more about the trends; McCarthy seemed to be losing interest as the process went on while Ryan is clearly gaining it.

You don't go from "not running" to "reconsidering" without putting in some serious thought (Ryan), but if you're already automatically treated as the inevitable successor (McCarthy), you don't have that much room to make your own decisions.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #218 on: October 10, 2015, 09:07:49 AM »

Yeah, seeing as if America seriously defaulted on its debt, the ramifications would actually involve the global collapse of capitalism as we know it (no hyperbole) I highly doubt the Republicans (even the economically illiterate ones) would keep dragging their feet on the issue.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #219 on: October 10, 2015, 10:06:19 PM »

Both sides of the Republican Civil War will be out in force on the Sunday Morning news shows tomorrow. Here's who will be on each show

ABC's This Week: Speaker Candidate Jason Chaffetz
CBS's Face the Nation: Freedom Caucus co-founder Mick Mulvaney
CNN's State of the Union: Freedom Caucus member Raul Labrador and Speaker Candidate Tom Cole
FOX News Sunday: Freedom Caucus Chairman Jim Jordan and Speaker Candidate Newt Gingrich
NBC's Meet the Press: moderate leader Charlie Dent and Freedom Caucus member Dave Brat

also I've seen the names of Bill Flores and Candice Miller brought up several times now as potential Speaker candidates so I've added them too. In a couple of days once the chaos settles down I'll start whittling the list of potential candidates down
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #220 on: October 10, 2015, 10:28:17 PM »

Adam Kinzinger is the person I'd like to endorse.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #221 on: October 10, 2015, 11:07:53 PM »

Adam Kinzinger is the person I'd like to endorse.

No offense, but why?

He has less than five years of legislative experience, no experience in Conference leadership, no experience in the leadership of any Committee, no experience leading any sort of caucus or other congressional group, and he hasn't even served as a whip. He's a newbie backbencher that has literally zero authority, seniority, or experience in any manner whatsoever that would suggest in any way that he could somehow lead a 249-person organization he has absolutely no familiarity with, and somehow do so competently in spite of the fact that the Republican Conference is more fractured and rebellious than at any point in recent history.

I don't mean to single you out but this is just the latest and most egregious example in a constant trend of commentators suggesting increasingly less qualified people as a potential Speaker, as if it was just a popularity contest for a figurehead role and not the single most difficult job in Washington today
Türkisblau
H_Wallace
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #222 on: October 10, 2015, 11:18:27 PM »

My treasured endorsement goes to...

Attorney General & PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #223 on: October 11, 2015, 12:43:02 AM »

OH MY GOD PLEASE NOT HIM!

MODS PLZ BAN NOW!
Stockdale for Veep

« Reply #224 on: October 11, 2015, 01:15:06 AM »

How many sick days does Boehner have left?

(not an original joke) Whenever I see "Freedom" "Values" etc. it reminds me of countries with "Democratic" or "People's" in their name... Never trust them.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies