Is "basket of deplorables" Hillary's 47% moment? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 02, 2024, 03:43:57 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Is "basket of deplorables" Hillary's 47% moment? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: -skip-
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 233

Author Topic: Is "basket of deplorables" Hillary's 47% moment?  (Read 23644 times)
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« on: September 10, 2016, 12:15:29 PM »

No .... not even  close !
1.) This was a deliberate speech line.
2.) The media was in the room.
3.) The media's cameras have this on tape, and Hillary knew the cameras were there.

So basically .... there was no "hidden camera" that recorded her words and then the tape was secretly released to the media (unlike the Romney incident).
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2016, 01:58:11 PM »

My earlier post still standing, I still find it disingenuous that Clinton says "Make America Whole Again" and talks of unity while simultaneously castigating 25% of the country. I know that wasn't the point she was actually trying to make, but the optics are just hilariously bad.  

So what are you saying ?
That trump is a candidate who talks/brings division and not "unity" ?
And since his campaign is based on dividing, and attracting the "deplorables," then we cant hold that against him (or "those" supporters) ?
Talk about denial.
It's also a poor attempt on your part to deflect from the actual message (FAIL!).
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2016, 04:58:06 PM »

The effect will be minimal, as the people she was talking about generally won't know what the word means.  Perhaps they'll assume it's a compliment?
Meanwhile, those who do know what it means likely already agree with her.

LOL & Ouch !
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2016, 05:03:38 PM »

Yes. She insulted millions of hardworking, educated, Americans and veterans.

I don't give a damn if they are hardworking educated American clergymen (who previously served in the military) ! !
If you are a "deplorable," you are excrement. Period.
Regardless if there are 452 or millions of them.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2016, 05:13:39 PM »

Yes. She insulted millions of hardworking, educated, Americans and veterans.

So those people are bigots?

Well, Clinton only left two choices: bigots or desperate losers.

In the other half of her statement, she said:
“That other basket of people are people who feel that the government has let them down, the economy has let them down, nobody cares about them, nobody worries about what happens to their lives and their futures, and they're just desperate for change.”

She left no room for people who support Trump because just don't like or trust her, no room for people who think the government is too big and she'd only make it bigger, no room for people who are opposed to the type of liberal Supreme Court justices she'd choose, etc.  If you support Trump, you're either a bigot or a loser.  Take your pick.

Clinton's remarks might work well on this website, where many red avatars think Trump supporters should be hung for treason (or something like that), anyway, but won't sit well with the American public.  You don't attack all of your opponent's supporters.  That's not fair game.

If thats how you'd like to interpret it.

If Republicans are smart, that's how the comments will be spun, not as an insult to half, but an insult to all.

So twisting words to say something that wasn't said.  Like they have been trying to do for the past 30 years with her?

Yep. That's exactly what cinyc is saying.
LMAO !
"Who cares what it really means, let's just twist it and put a different meaning to it."
"Those poorly-educated trump supporters will lap it up and swallow it like the word of God."
LOL.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2016, 06:00:27 PM »

Excellent video ! !
For those trump supporters on Atlas .... watch it.
These are the "deplorables" Hillary is talking about .... these are the deplorables that most of us on Atlas bemoan.
My question to them is : Why would you defend them ? Why defend their disgusting actions and behavior ? Is this what you want America to look like ?
Images of his rallies that produce this type of hatred and bigotry is insane .... a bunch of animals wearing degrading T-shirts. Really ?
One thing I can to you as fact, is that Clinton rallies ARE NOTHING like this !
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2016, 06:27:45 PM »

I have to say though, basket of deplorables sounds an awful lot like binders full of women.

I disagree. Apples and oranges....
The binders full of women statement was trying to show how cool and hip he was and that he wasn't a sexist.
The deplorables statement is labeling some Trump supporters as racists and bigots, etc.
Neither statement should ever have been said, IMO.

I didn't mean it in terms of their content - just that they're both odd ways to say what they're attempting to say. Romney was attempting to say he made great strides to employ women, but ended up with "binders full of women". Clinton was trying to say that a large chunk of Trump supporters are racists, but ended up with "baskets of deplorbles".

Maxwell,
I think you need to watch the entire video or read the entire transcript of what Hillary said.
She immediately follows-up after saying "basket of deplorables," with the fact (definition) that this group of trump supporters are racists, sexist, etc.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2016, 09:03:33 PM »

I read a Dan Balz article in the WaPo about this.  I can't condone it, and I don't understand how any reasonable person could.  Basket of deplorables?!  She's using an adjective like it's a noun.  Would it be so fucking difficult to find a noun for the adjective "deplorable" to modify?  I detest such intellectual laziness.  There's much to dislike about Hillary Clinton, and this is probably not worth a diatribe, but I will say that any speech this lazy is not worth a poll.  Probably not worth a post either, so I guess I'm wasting my time as much as anyone else here.

It means Hillary Clinton has adopted opebo-speak! She must read the Atlas Forum!

ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2016, 01:28:45 AM »
« Edited: September 12, 2016, 01:33:08 AM by ProudModerate2 »

I honestly might vote for Trump because of this. I expect this kind of thing from atlas hack posters but calling 25 % of the country awful irredeemable people because they support your opponents political campaign is disgusting. How can she unite he country when she finds such a large percentage of it so awful? I'm sick of leftist identity politics telling me that my dad is the main thing holding America back today.

It's hard to believe that someone offended by that comment was not already voting for Trump. The truth is often painful.

I was turned off by Trump's comments on Judge Curiel among other things. I'm not a fan of this idea that the majority of the people in my town and family  are awful people just because they aren't voting for Hillary Clinton. Always good to hear such judgment from the tolerant and open minded left.

The point wasn't about people not voting for Hillary Clinton, it was about them voting for someone who is extremely bigoted. Plus, there is the fact that Trump has more openly racist supporters than any previous Republican nominee. McCain and Romney didn't have people holding up confederate flags, shout racial slurs and death threats. There is also the small matter of David Duke endorsing him.

Unfortunatly there are only two real options in American elections. Is it really fair to call millions of people horrible just because they would rather take their chances with Trump than vote for Clinton? My parents voted for Kasich in the primary and are voting for Trump. I take offense at calling my parents racist or homophobic because calling them that is rediculous.

St. Alphonso,
First of all, Hillary almost immediately corrected herself with the matter of "half" (50%) of trump supporters being in the "basket of deplorables." She hasn't indicated a new number, but she is basically saying it is less than half.

Secondly, she never said that all trump supporters are "deplorable." Her definition of these people are ONLY those who are racist, sexist, homophobic, etc.
So if your parents are not "racist or homophobic," etc, then they are not in this "basket."
You need to go back to page 1 and read exactly what she said. She also indicated (in that same speech) that the other segment of trump supporters are nothing like "deplorables."

I'm sure you will agree though, that more than any other recent presidential election, that there are more "openly" racist and bigoted followers of a major candidate (some supporters of our very own orange-haired clown, Mr trump). Clinton is just calling-out this fact, and is also calling-out those specific scumbags within our society.
Conclusion: If you and your family (mom, dad, etc) are not part of this segment of our population, then you don't need to take any personal offence to what Clinton is saying.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2016, 04:47:47 PM »

Hillary is scum for showing such contempt and loathing for millions of hard working, tax paying Americans with this deplorable prepared text.

Her so called apology is laughable.  She apologizes in percentages.

No wonder 2/3 of Americans don't trust Hillary. 

She may as well spend three days recovering because all she's been doing lately is hobnobbing with her multi-millionaire friends on Wall Street, with her hedge fund manager friends, raising money, and viscously attacking and demeaning millions of ordinary, hard working Americans, while her multi-millionaire friends on Wall Street laugh, and hobnobbing with multi-millionaire extreme leftist Hollywood actors.

Perhaps she can spend her down time erasing e-mails and writing more speeches viscously attacking ordinary, hard working, tax paying Americans.

What would you call people who are racist, sexist, homophobic, etc ?
They are obviously deplorable .... and that is a "mild" description of these people, compared to what I would call them.
No really .... I want you to answer the question .... What would you call these type of people ?
Give me a word or two to describe them.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2016, 06:36:48 PM »
« Edited: September 12, 2016, 08:03:59 PM by ProudModerate2 »

Hillary is scum for showing such contempt and loathing for millions of hard working, tax paying Americans with this deplorable prepared text.
Her so called apology is laughable.  She apologizes in percentages.
No wonder 2/3 of Americans don't trust Hillary.  
She may as well spend three days recovering because all she's been doing lately is hobnobbing with her multi-millionaire friends on Wall Street, with her hedge fund manager friends, raising money, and viscously attacking and demeaning millions of ordinary, hard working Americans, while her multi-millionaire friends on Wall Street laugh, and hobnobbing with multi-millionaire extreme leftist Hollywood actors.
Perhaps she can spend her down time erasing e-mails and writing more speeches viscously attacking ordinary, hard working, tax paying Americans.

What would you call people who are racist, sexist, homophobic, etc ?
They are obviously deplorable .... and that is a "mild" description of these people, compared to what I would call them.
No really .... I want you to answer the question .... What would you call these type of people ?
Give me a word or two to describe them.

Let me ask you what is more deplorable; a person uncomfortable with unfettered illegal immigration, or Bill Clinton who uses his position to get sex from young women while married?  
Hillary Clinton called 25% of America as "deplorable".  That's what she did.  And it's what she thinks.  And why they're "deplorable" is because they find both her and her husband deplorable and have a coherent argument to make in that regard.  Truthfully, this comment is far more reprehensible than Romney's 47% comment, or Obama's "clinging to guns and religion" comment; those comments were, at least to some degree, observations.  Hillary Clinton went way beyond that; she cast a judgement on a huge number of folks she doesn't know, and doesn't like, all because they don't like her.  "Out of the wellsprings of the heart, the mouth speaks."   This standard has been applied to Donald Trump.  It's time it be applied to Hillary Clinton.  Oddly enough, this is one of the most candid and honest statements she's made in all of her pubic life.

Once again Fuzzy, you twist reality and certain words to fit your "comfort" religious life that you so claim to boast about (in another thread).
What do I mean by "twisting" :

1) Hillary did not call "a person uncomfortable with unfettered illegal immigration" as deplorable.
She called those specific individuals that are racist, sexist, homophobic, etc.
People can be "uncomfortable" about our current "illegal immigration" policies, and be good individuals with these concerns. They are NOT deplorables.
So stop twisting words and descriptions, to try and make it sound like the target of Clinton's statement includes the entire population of the planet.

2) Clinton almost immediately corrected herself and said that her "half" (50%) estimate of trump supporters, was incorrect. It is obviously smaller, but don't be fooled ..... the number of deplorables is still quite large among trump followers.

3) If you require a visual to get it through your thick-skull on EXACTLY who the deplorables are within trump's cult, WATCH THIS VIDEO :
http://www.nytimes.com/video/us/politics/100000004533191/unfiltered-voices-from-donald-trumps-crowds.html

4) I don't condone anything that Bill Clinton did with other women. It is not anything I would support now, nor back then. (You see, I can at least tell the truth. Unlike you.)

Conclusion: You probably went to Church yesterday, but you need to attend again, tonight. You are obviously telling half-truths and being deceitful in your words, and thus are not honest with yourself or us. You should be ashamed of yourself.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2016, 08:16:23 PM »

When I heard about the Mitt 47% speech in 2012 I was very disappointed and upset about it.  It was a terrible decision to even give this speech, and this speech should never have been made.

Mitt's statements and Mitt himself deserved to be criticized and condemned for sure, and they were, relentlessly, but I personally do not believe that Mitt's statements were degrading or vitriolic and were certainly not hateful like the statements made by Hillary about certain sectors of the American public.

Lincoln Republican,
Why is it I have to keep driving the same huge chisel in your head.
She is specifically calling individuals that are racist, sexist, homophobic, bigots, etc as the scum of our society.
WHAT IS WRONG WITH THAT ? !
What do you want us to call these people ... Angels ? Heroes ? Excellent people that we should be proud of and need more of ?
Why are you defending low level filth that unfortunately reside within our nation ? I don't understand you.
Clinton is not calling ALL trump supporters "deplorables." She is not even calling 50% of them deplorables (after she corrected herself). In the same initial speech she gave, she even made room for, and discussed, the other segment of trump supporters who are not in "the basket."
Have you read the transcript or watched the full video of her initial speech ? If not, do so, before you begin to spew more ignorance about the topic.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2016, 08:30:21 PM »

When I heard about the Mitt 47% speech in 2012 I was very disappointed and upset about it.  It was a terrible decision to even give this speech, and this speech should never have been made.

Mitt's statements and Mitt himself deserved to be criticized and condemned for sure, and they were, relentlessly, but I personally do not believe that Mitt's statements were degrading or vitriolic and were certainly not hateful like the statements made by Hillary about certain sectors of the American public.

Fair enough, although I think calling someone "scum" based on one statement they quickly walked back is a little unempathetic itself.  I'm a big believer in the idea that no one should be all about the worst thing they ever said/did.

I agree with this. We all make mistakes. Sometimes we say things in anger or are impaired (alcohol). I admit I have done this before (many moons ago), and later feel guilt. But it's usually a word or two, not going on-and-on throwing racist/sexist/bigoted bombs at someone.
And I have NEVER conducted myself anything close to what we see at some trump rallies. Watch this video if you want to see examples of this type of disgusting conduct: http://www.nytimes.com/video/us/politics/100000004533191/unfiltered-voices-from-donald-trumps-crowds.html
Only a person who consistently spews hatred towards others should be labeled as in "the basket."
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2016, 09:01:35 PM »

Insulting voters makes them show up... see 2012.

Yes you are right. God forbid we say anything bad about and insult bigots within our society.
We should allow such scum to run-all-over-us and rule as they please.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2016, 11:43:11 PM »

What it will do to Hillary is cost her Pub and some Ind votes.

Any Republicans voting for Hillary this year surely already thought of the people who nominated Donald Trump as deplorable.

As a Republican who has considered voting for Hillary, I have to voice my disagreement with this. I don't have personal ill will toward Trump supporters; I just think they're wrong, and what Hillary said about them makes me less likely to vote for her, because even though to me what she said may be right, I think that's a comment that just shouldn't be made about millions of people over whom Hillary would be president if elected.

Everyone's trying so hard to give me reasons not to vote for them. It's truly unbelievable. I'm just appalled by this entire election.

Though I disagree with why someone/anyone can support trump with all the rhetoric, bigoted and hatred he spews, I will generally agree that I also do not "have personal ill will toward (all) trump supporters."
Sometimes they ("those" on Atlas especially) piss me off to the point I may comment with strong words, but they are not automatically "in the basket" by association. But I do not at all, apologize for degrading (in the toughest of "descriptive expressions") to those trump supporters who are racist, sexist, homophobic, etc ; These specific trump supporters are Deplorables, plus some. Period !
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2016, 11:47:33 PM »
« Edited: September 13, 2016, 01:09:40 AM by ProudModerate2 »

Lincoln Republican,
She is specifically calling individuals that are racist, sexist, homophobic, bigots, etc as the scum of our society.
WHAT IS WRONG WITH THAT ? !
What do you want us to call these people ... Angels ? Heroes ? Excellent people that we should be proud of and need more of ?
Why are you defending low level filth that unfortunately reside within our nation ? I don't understand you.
Clinton is not calling ALL trump supporters "deplorables." She is not even calling 50% of them deplorables (after she corrected herself). In the same initial speech she gave, she even made room for, and discussed, the other segment of trump supporters who are not in "the basket."
Have you read the transcript or watched the full video of her initial speech ? If not, do so, before you begin to spew more ignorance about the topic.

There's nothing "moderate" about you.

And there is nothing "religious" about you. Keep on supporting a candidate who spews hatred and bigotry. That is a very Christian thing to do.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2016, 11:53:46 PM »

Clinton isn't that wrong though....there have been documented incidents of racism and xenophobia coming from certain sections of the Trump camp.

I applaud you.
In one sentence you said it all.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2016, 01:17:24 AM »

You should never bash American voters as a presidential candidate.

News Flash.
We "Americans" are not perfect people.
There are scums among us. Call them out for what they are.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2016, 03:12:32 AM »

News Flash.

Shall we start with the Colin Kaepernicks and other flag burning anarchists?

Take that up with the first amendment.

The leftist like to bring up protected amendments when it suits their anti-American grandstanding.  When the other side wants to walk around with guns you go completely ape sh**t.

Nah .... not really.
We only go "ape sh*t" when said individuals who freely "walk around with guns," end up killing our young children in our elementary schools.
"Shall we start with" Sandy Hook Elementary School ?

(Strange how I recall an interview with the parents of one of the children who perished, and how they were supporters of lenient gun control laws, until the had to bury their own child six-feet under the ground. Sad.)
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2016, 10:03:23 AM »
« Edited: September 13, 2016, 10:55:59 AM by ProudModerate2 »

News Flash.

Shall we start with the Colin Kaepernicks and other flag burning anarchists?

Take that up with the first amendment.

The leftist like to bring up protected amendments when it suits their anti-American grandstanding.  When the other side wants to walk around with guns you go completely ape sh**t.

Nah .... not really.
We only go "ape sh*t" when said individuals who freely "walk around with guns," end up killing our young children in our elementary schools.
"Shall we start with" Sandy Hook Elementary School ?

(Strange how I recall an interview with the parents of one of the children who perished, and how they were supporters of lenient gun control laws, until they had to bury their own child six-feet under the ground. Sad.)

This is not a gun control thread so I will only say that its your right to bear arms if you choose to do so.  Sandy Hook is irrelevant to the conversation.
Hillary Clinton demeaning voters (hard working Americans) to a bunch of gay liberals is "sad".

You are the one who first brought-up the conversation on "guns," and now you are going to bitch about it ? LOL.
PS: Racist, sexist, homophobic (etc) individuals deserve the "demeaning" they are getting. I could give a damn if they are also considered "hard working Americans" or not.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2016, 11:02:40 AM »

Lincoln Republican,

Should be reported as a personal attack, however, being such a magnanimous person, I won't.

In the entire post/message that I left for you, that is how you want to respond ?
Really ?
By the way, your post had my knees severely shivering from fright.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies