AF Primaries: Illinois Primary (Deadline Monday 11th 6pm EST)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 11:18:19 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  AF Primaries: Illinois Primary (Deadline Monday 11th 6pm EST)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... 35
Author Topic: AF Primaries: Illinois Primary (Deadline Monday 11th 6pm EST)  (Read 133565 times)
jerusalemcar5
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -8.35

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #250 on: September 17, 2006, 10:41:36 AM »

As soon as everybody's campaigns have been posted.  But if we're waiting unreasonably long for one or two candidates, I'll just close it.

Can we make the deadline midnight tonight or tomorrow?  It has been awhile.  I'd like to get on to New Hampshire.
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -6.09

« Reply #251 on: September 17, 2006, 11:00:04 AM »

Can we make the deadline midnight tonight or tomorrow?  It has been awhile.  I'd like to get on to New Hampshire.

Don't be mad at other people just because you don't have a life.
jerusalemcar5
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -8.35

« Reply #252 on: September 17, 2006, 11:23:15 AM »

Don't be mad at other people just because you don't have a life.

Tongue.  No, I just believe everyone who plans to post did and all we're doing is just waiting and waiiting for people to add on to what they did as they see what others did.  It probably won't end if he doesn't cut it off.

And I hardly would say I don't have a life.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #253 on: September 17, 2006, 12:11:29 PM »

Andrew does have a point though.  Nevertheless, I'll most likely close it on Tuesday afternoon.

You could use the intervening time to write speeches and ads for the next set of primaries. Wink
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #254 on: September 17, 2006, 12:13:27 PM »

Few questions Joe.

1. Will there be any other ways to earn money or campaign hours. I notice that we get a small amount of hours between each primary, but will there be another large chunk dumped on us at some point, or will we have to make the 2000 hours plus the small dribs and drabs last until the end?

2. How effective are speeches compared to general campaigning? What variables do they effect?

Maybe these will be answered following the Iowa Caucus.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #255 on: September 17, 2006, 12:18:14 PM »

I'm going to save my second ad for later.
Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 3.61, S: -1.74

« Reply #256 on: September 17, 2006, 12:27:41 PM »

Are you going to make a new poll result before Tuesday?
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #257 on: September 17, 2006, 12:43:09 PM »

I'm Andrew Leitch and I approve the message.

Cut to: Cornfields, candidate kneeling

As Governor of Nebraska I undertood the importance of our farms, our farmers and everybody from landowener to farmhands involved in agriculture. For too long the concerns of our rural citizens and those who depend on the countryside have been ignored by state and federal officials. That's why I worked with my political friends and opponents to protect and create jobs

Cut to: figures over a country backdrop

During my term as governor we created 25,000 new jobs in agriculture and saved around 50,000 more

Cut to: family at computer

Thats why my administrationed helped encourage high tech and telecomunications companies into the countryside to provide jobs, services to our small communities and more computers in our rural schools to give kids in Harrisburg the same technological opportunities as those in Omaha City

Cut to: Governor in cornfield

I did it for Nebraska, I'll do it for Iowa and I'll do it for the whole nation. Thank you.

12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #258 on: September 17, 2006, 01:50:07 PM »

I'm I the only candidate who is not playing to the sterotype of Iowans being a bunch of corn-growers, who only care about farming?
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #259 on: September 17, 2006, 01:56:58 PM »

I'm dropping out.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #260 on: September 17, 2006, 02:44:58 PM »

I'd love your endorsement Smiley
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #261 on: September 17, 2006, 02:55:34 PM »

1. Will there be any other ways to earn money or campaign hours. I notice that we get a small amount of hours between each primary, but will there be another large chunk dumped on us at some point, or will we have to make the 2000 hours plus the small dribs and drabs last until the end?

For now, the only way to earn money is to spend time fundraising.  However, after the NH primary the endorsement thread will re-open for anybody who hasn't yet donated anything.  Also, there may be more opportunities at a later stage, but these are yet to be finalized.

Also, there won't be any more large chunks of time after now.  The thing to remember is that time itself can't be created from nothing, and the reason why you all have such a large chunk of it now is because your campaigns are officially beginning over a month before the first election of the season.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

A really good speech may be worth up to ten times as much as if you were to use the same amount of time (i.e. 2 hours) on general campaigning.  Therefore it's definitely a good investment to spend some thought and effort on making a really top-notch speech.

Most likely not.  If I were to do that, everybody would want to revise the campaigns they've already submitted, and we'd be going round in circles.

Don't worry if you don't do as well as you'd hoped in Iowa.  A victory or loss here certainly doesn't determine the outcome of the whole race.  Real-life Iowa caucuses in history will vouch for that.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #262 on: September 17, 2006, 02:55:59 PM »

Seriously?  May I ask why?
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #263 on: September 17, 2006, 03:04:16 PM »

Don't worry if you don't do as well as you'd hoped in Iowa.  A victory or loss here certainly doesn't determine the outcome of the whole race.  Real-life Iowa caucuses in history will vouch for that.

C'mon...a candidate hasn't lost the Iowa Caucus and won the nomination still since 1992!
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #264 on: September 17, 2006, 03:28:00 PM »

C'mon...a candidate hasn't lost the Iowa Caucus and won the nomination still since 1992!

Then I hope you'll remember that if you lose in Iowa. Wink
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #265 on: September 17, 2006, 03:46:52 PM »

Speech 1: Energy
   America faces many problems today, but that is nothing new.  Each generation has its own challenges to face, but those challenges have always been met by America with strength and determination.  Our own challenges are ready to be faced, and we must confront them, not cower behind walls of our own making.
   Our energy policy is one such problem.  Our addiction to petroleum affects our economy, our environment, and our foreign affairs.  We expend large amounts of money to acquire petroleum overseas, not just in direct purchases, but in the provision of military and other types of foreign assistance intended to safeguard our oil suppliers.  Consumption of fossil fuels also causes unwanted emissions that harm our environment.  We need to confront the dragon of petroleum and slay it.
   Biofuels such as ethanol and biodiesel are helpful and their production should be encouraged.  CAFE standards must be strengthened and combined with a program to encourage the removal of older, inefficient vehicles from the road.  But these conservative measures, while needed, are only short term solutions to curb, not long term solutions to cure our petroleum addiction.  We need to aggressively research replacements for the internal combustion engine.
   Improved battery technology has already made possible $100,000 electric sports cars with comparable performance to conventional vehicles in the same price range, but if we could do the same with a $20,000 family car, we could utilize our electricity grid to generate and distribute the energy we need for transportation without recourse to petroleum or leaky pipelines.  Hydrogen fuel cells are another possibility to achieve the same ends, but will require the development of a number of different technologies to make practical a hydrogen economy.
   However, whether it be improved batteries, fuel cells, or some other technology, replacing petroleum will require increased production of electricity.  If that production comes from increased consumption of fossil fuels, we will only have achieved the replacement of the problem of petroleum with another.  We should do all that can be done to increase the use of wind power and other renewable sources of electricity; we should research practical methods of carbon sequestration; but we must be prepared to make use of the one proven, existing means of electricity production that both has no carbon impact in generation, and is easily scalable up in size to not only meet the demands for new generating capacity, but to retire existing fossil fuel powered generators, and that is nuclear power.
   Our fears of nuclear power, while not entirely unjustified, have been overhyped by fear mongers who ignore the dangers of the alternatives.  More environmental damage is caused by fossil fuels than by nuclear power, yet it is nuclear power that attracts the focus of a number of supposed environmental activists.  This no doubt because of the human tendency to worry more about new risks, even when than they are lower than the old risks that already exist.  To the extent that renewable supplies of electricity can be utilized, they should, but given a choice between nuclear and fossil fuels to supply the remainder of our demand, we should be doing all we can to utilize nuclear.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #266 on: September 17, 2006, 04:29:36 PM »

I'm I the only candidate who is not playing to the sterotype of Iowans being a bunch of corn-growers, who only care about farming?

Yeah I mean they also grow soybeans and raise pigs and cows. They're not just corn-farmers. Tongue

Seriously though I haven't, nor do I want to, since not all Iowans are farmers, actually I bet a large majority of them aren't, nor do I think they only vote out of their own self interest for whoever panders best. Wink
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #267 on: September 17, 2006, 04:43:48 PM »
« Edited: September 17, 2006, 04:48:23 PM by Akno21 »

Speech #1, on Education

Education is a vital priority for me. Without a solid educational system, our country cannot grow and expand upon what we have. Right now, we are at an important point. There is a huge disparity in our schools between the haves and the have-nots. If you are not well-off, it is hard for your child to receive a quality education. That is not the America I know. Therefore, if you send me to the White House, I will propose to congress legislation to focus our education efforts where they need to be, on the schools that need help. We don’t need to reward the wealthy and successful; we need to ensure equal opportunity for all children in the United States.

Oh, and can I have an additional 100 hours of campaigning?
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #268 on: September 17, 2006, 04:47:51 PM »

Are we going to get some new polls before the end of campaigning?
MHS2002

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 1.57

« Reply #269 on: September 17, 2006, 06:55:48 PM »

Actually I think I am going to need to drop out too. I have too much work and other stuff on my hands to give this the attention it needs.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #270 on: September 17, 2006, 06:58:47 PM »

Are we going to get some new polls before the end of campaigning?

Already answered:

Most likely not.  If I were to do that, everybody would want to revise the campaigns they've already submitted, and we'd be going round in circles.

Wink
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #271 on: September 17, 2006, 06:59:47 PM »

Actually I think I am going to need to drop out too. I have too much work and other stuff on my hands to give this the attention it needs.

Cry  If you only need some more time, don't be afraid to ask.  Or alternatively, you can just skip Iowa for now.
MHS2002

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 1.57

« Reply #272 on: September 17, 2006, 07:21:01 PM »

Cry  If you only need some more time, don't be afraid to ask.  Or alternatively, you can just skip Iowa for now.

I've just got a lot of things on my plate right now, but thanks Smiley
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #273 on: September 17, 2006, 07:25:10 PM »

What happens to someone's campaign funds when they drop out? Any chance that they can donate their amount instead of $3mil in the next round of fundraising or possibly save them for a later campaign?
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #274 on: September 17, 2006, 07:27:24 PM »

What happens to someone's campaign funds when they drop out? Any chance that they can donate their amount instead of $3mil in the next round of fundraising or possibly save them for a later campaign?

I'm thinking about it.  I'll let you both know.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... 35  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies