2008 GOP and Dem Primary Chronological Order
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 03:29:27 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  2008 GOP and Dem Primary Chronological Order
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 2008 GOP and Dem Primary Chronological Order  (Read 1418 times)
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 18, 2005, 12:19:26 AM »

Does anybody have any idea what the order of the primaries will be for both parties (after Iowa and New Hampshire)?  I'm wondering if my beloved Oklahoma will fall in the first multi-state primary day again?
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2005, 06:02:05 PM »

From what I've found on my various searches, the primary election schedule stays the same as before (i.e. 2004), but between now and then we'll see various state-level legislation to change them all around.  So far I found the following changes:

• Arkansas: Primary to be moved from May to first Tuesday in February.
  • California: Apparently due to record low turnout in the 2004 primary, it will be moved back from March to June.
  • Minnesota: Precinct caucuses to move from first Tuesday in March to third Tuesday in February, to coincide with neighboring Wisconsin.  Primary to move from September to June.  These measures have not yet passed, however.
  • Pennsylvania: Ed Rendell has expressed interest in moving the primary from late April to late January or early February.
  • Western states: Bill Richardson has promoted the idea of grouping the Western state primaries early in the primary calendar.

As for Oklahoma, it looks like it'll stay part of a 'super Tuesday' for now, unless it changes before then.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2005, 02:03:18 PM »

• Pennsylvania: Ed Rendell has expressed interest in moving the primary from late April to late January or early February.
They're looking at the first week in March here.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2005, 05:10:22 PM »

It’s way too early to say when they will actually be in 2008 because of all the jockeying that goes on over who goes when.  If current trends continue, I expect more than 20 States will hold their primary or caucus in the first two weeks of February.  If all the States that want early primaries get their way, then it is possible that by mid-February a party will have locked in a convention that can't be settled on the first ballot.  It probably will take something like that for sanity to be restored to the political calendar.
South Park Republican
southparkgop
Rookie

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2005, 06:17:45 PM »

I for one am ready to do any with primaries and go back to state nominating conventions to determine delegates to the national conventions.

Would give darkhorse candidates a better shot at actually winning nominations.  And save taxpayer dollars on fewer primary elections being held which average significantly less turnout than presidential elections anyways.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.25, S: -2.72

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2005, 07:58:24 PM »

I believe Alabama was moved way up to the 3rd or 4th primary.
zorkpolitics
United States

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2005, 09:05:31 PM »

Abolish the Primaries and outsource the process to the College of Cardinals and let them choose the nominees.  They can get the job done in less than a week for a total cost less than a $1 million.
MAS117
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2005, 04:01:35 PM »

New Jersey is in a process of moving its primary to the last week in February.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2005, 04:18:05 PM »

What I never really understood was how the state governments get to legislate on the activities of the parties at all.  Surely it should be up to the parties themselves to decide when they hold their candidate nomination elections.  What if one party decided to hold their state primary on a different day to the other party?
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2005, 08:32:11 PM »

What I never really understood was how the state governments get to legislate on the activities of the parties at all.

The power of the purse is how the States do it.  If the party holds their primary when State law says they should, the State picks up the tab for holding the primary.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies