Burris could win [re-]election (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 06:03:17 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Burris could win [re-]election (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Burris could win [re-]election  (Read 3133 times)
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -5.22

P
« on: January 10, 2009, 06:01:46 PM »

Burris is a weak candidate.  The apex of his career was winning the Illinois attorney general's race in 1990, so he's proven he can win statewide.  Unfortunately, since then he has lost 3 races for governor (1994, 1998, 2002) and a race for mayor -- evidence that his standing among the IL electorate is now extremely weak.  At age 71, he won't be able to gather the needed seniority to become powerful in the Senate.  And he let himself be appointed by Pay-Rod, which is the equivalent of putting a political kick-me sign on his behind.

I find the author's assertion that Burris' potential candidacy will become a "national cause celebre" strange.  You could just as easily turn it around and say people will not want to donate money to a Pay-Rod appointee.

Nevertheless, Burris could win in a heavily DEM state like IL.  But an IL senate seat should be safe Dem and under Burris it won't be.  Maybe he will surprise us and be a great senator.  But based on the reports I've read, I doubt it.  As strangeland said, the DSCC would be wise to monitor this race very closely and act appropriately if necessary.  IL Dems will want to clean house before the GOP does it for them.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies