United Kingdom Referendum on European Union Membership (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 17, 2024, 11:01:42 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  United Kingdom Referendum on European Union Membership (search mode)
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: United Kingdom Referendum on European Union Membership  (Read 180842 times)
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2016, 11:12:43 PM »

https://twitter.com/ITVAllegra/status/746191648850206720

ITV is reporting that Cameron and Osborne are on their way out, and it will be a "dignified exit".

Wow.

And so David Cameron's strategy of taking positions in opposition to those held by the majority of his own party finally, spectacularly unravels. Bloody fool, we should never have had this goddamn referendum in the first place, at least he's getting it in the neck.
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2016, 12:10:23 AM »

The US is never going to let the UK lose their veto in the UN.  Not gonna happen!  Hate to burst all of your anti-British bubbles.

*anti-English bubbles

Britain is dead, expect a Kingdom of Scotland and a United Kingdom of England and Northern Ireland.

Shouldn't that be United Kingdom of England, Wales and Northern Ireland?

Still waiting on the result in Havering (just to see how great the Leave margin will be)

Wales always gets the shaft. I know it won't happen, but I wish NI said seeya and teamed up with Scotland or Ireland. Then England would be left with Wales and Wales only.

Lol, the crying is so rampant among some of you right now. This comment is irrational. To want NI and Scotland to leave is borderline insanity.

How in the world is it borderline insanity to defend keeping Scotland in the UK anymore? England is moving more and more to the right while Scotland is solidly progressive, and now England has dragged Scotland out of the EU. These countries are so overwhelmingly different and one has considerable power over the other. Scotland deserves a government that fairly represents then.

There have always been and will always be reasons in favor of Irish unification, and this is just another reason in favor. I would be surprised to see it happen, but obviously there is some significant difference of opinion between NI and England.

The leftist Scotland meme is not, really and truly, based in reality. Wales is certainly no more 'right-wing' than Scotland, yet it voted to leave the EU and is generally far more closely aligned politically with England. Scottish Nationalism is based on, well, nationalism, and the SNP is willing to mine all strands of political opinion in exchange for political support on the sole cause that it was created to advance, which is Scottish independence, hence why the party has been able to attract support in both former Labour and Tory areas. If Scotland votes to leave, sure, maybe the EU will be a factor (although I would like to point out that over a million Scottish voters also voted to leave), but the root cause will be the fact that many Scots feel they are a distinct nation from the rest of the UK and therefore should be independent, which, ironically, is not ideologically a million miles away from the position of staunch Brexiters re the EU.
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2016, 01:11:04 AM »

Much of the elite is feeling angry and spiteful right now.  They're lashing out.  Downgrading the UKs credit rating would be a spiteful move.

There needs to be consequences for this incompetence.

There's the spitefulness!

No spite, just facts. Your credit rating is based on your economic stability, which the voters just decided to disregard.

Indeed, thus downgrading us to the same level as economic basket cases such as the United States and New Zealand... Again, the full economic consequences of Brexit will not be known for some time, however, one thing that will hurt our economy for sure is pointless negative speculation within two hours of voting to leave the EU.
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2016, 01:29:14 AM »

Much of the elite is feeling angry and spiteful right now.  They're lashing out.  Downgrading the UKs credit rating would be a spiteful move.

There needs to be consequences for this incompetence.

There's the spitefulness!

No spite, just facts. Your credit rating is based on your economic stability, which the voters just decided to disregard.

Indeed, thus downgrading us to the same level as economic basket cases such as the United States and New Zealand... Again, the full economic consequences of Brexit will not be known for some time, however, one thing that will hurt our economy for sure is pointless negative speculation within two hours of voting to leave the EU.

Oh Cass, I'm afraid our rating is going to play a game of how low can you go.

But is it though - we still haven't left the European Union, and are not likely to do so for quite some time, thus hopefully giving us an opportunity to renegotiate at least some of the trade deals imperilled by Brexit, and upon which certain sectors of our economy depend. I would agree, if we crashed out of the European Union instantaneously, that our economy, and thus our credit rating would be in really deep sh**t. We won't though, we will have time to negotiate some form of orderly exit. We may not get a great deal, but I doubt we'll be in a position where our government is likely to default on its debts as a result of Brexit.
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2016, 04:33:30 AM »

Rumours that John McDonnell is involved in moves against Corbyn.

How loyal of him.

Anyway, what I wouldn't give for this result to be overturned - at least it would shut up these whining imbeciles on the interwebs who think that having been interrailing in Europe makes them Ernest ing Hemingway and that they have a deep connection to all things European which is now being taken away by the evil Brexiters Roll Eyes
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2016, 07:23:29 AM »

If the people of Scotland wish to leave the UK and Join the EU, then that's their democratic will, after all they voted by over 60% to stay and it's not right to be pulled out if they didn't want to.

Hmm, on the other hand, when you go down that route, it also begs the question of why Mole Valley Local Authority isn't allowed to do the same? Or what would have happened if the Moray Local Authority in Scotland has voted to leave (which it almost did)?
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #31 on: June 24, 2016, 11:11:14 AM »

I thought as a Bernie supporter you'd be happy to see a major bank clearing out.
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2016, 01:34:11 PM »

Regarding that petition, its now been signed by almost 2 million people. So 4-5% of registered voters, and almost 1 in 8 remain voters.

Hopefully, these will be the new LibDem voters.

Maybe they will. But the Tories from now on will be united as ever. The pro-Europe vote will be split between Labour, SNP and Libdem. So for the next ten years the conservative party will be the dominant party, i predict. By then, everyone will see that the UK will do just fine outside the EU. The Scotts will beg to return within the UK.

More than half the Torie MPs are Remainers. What makes you think they'll suddenly aboutface?

Because Tory support for being in the EU was largely based on pragmatic rather than emotional reasons. There may be a few old-school europhiles in the party like Ken Clarke and Michael Heseltine (who are now largely irrelevant), but the vast bulk of the parliamentary party and the party in the country are eurosceptic. Whilst many Tories (myself included) were leery about leaving the EU due to concern about what might happen if we do, now that we're out I imagine all but a small minority will attempt to work with the hardline anti-EU wing of the party to try and form a stable government and get a decent outcome from voting to leave.
Pages: 1 [2]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies