The distant future. The ultimate question for America. (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 11:13:57 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  The distant future. The ultimate question for America. (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: How long do you expect the United States to last?
Were getting close to the end.

We're not close yet, but if you are a young man/woman, you might see it in the twilight of your life.

We have more than a good century left. After which, it gets REALLY blurry. Think the British Empire.

We'll be around for a few centuries, I just think our country will eventually get tired of its self after that. Think Rome.

America is destined to be the next Chinese civilization, that will last thousands of years, with or without disruption.

Other, explain.

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 66

Author Topic: The distant future. The ultimate question for America.  (Read 6553 times)
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« on: August 11, 2009, 06:54:39 PM »

In My Opinion, The "Rome" option is the most likely. We are dominant in almost everything. The question is, I don't think a "superpower" will replace us. I believe we are the last superpower. Nothing will replace us in that sense. What will replace us, centuries from now, is a supranational one world government modeled after the original EU, which will become the "European Federation" one day. Most of Continental Europe will be members, except for Britain, Ireland, Switzerland, some of the Balkans and some of Scandanavia. I can't see an EU-like structure taking hold here, as some as suggested. I also see an "African Union" (which exists, it just is less sucessful then the EU) comprising of some african states. The Far East, which will be powerful economically, will be like a bunch of "Japan/Germany" type economies. I also think that (rather foolishly, and hopefully) we may see Colonization and terraforming of Mars, possibly Venus, and extrasolar planets.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2009, 08:24:34 PM »

In My Opinion, The "Rome" option is the most likely. We are dominant in almost everything. The question is, I don't think a "superpower" will replace us. I believe we are the last superpower. Nothing will replace us in that sense. What will replace us, centuries from now, is a supranational one world government modeled after the original EU, which will become the "European Federation" one day. Most of Continental Europe will be members, except for Britain, Ireland, Switzerland, some of the Balkans and some of Scandanavia. I can't see an EU-like structure taking hold here, as some as suggested. I also see an "African Union" (which exists, it just is less sucessful then the EU) comprising of some african states. The Far East, which will be powerful economically, will be like a bunch of "Japan/Germany" type economies. I also think that (rather foolishly, and hopefully) we may see Colonization and terraforming of Mars, possibly Venus, and extrasolar planets.

Well, the instagation of human exploration and small-scale colonization of the Moon and Mars seems to have the world's attention...nevermind the full colonization of LEO...after that...well, we will have to see. ...but like what Ronald Reagan said in his Watchmen-inspired address to the UN in 1986- There would be no "international relations" or need for them if we were invaded by little green or grey men. We would either become One Nation One World or get our asses kicked, whether that means being made to die out or thousands of years of darkness for us.

I'm not so sure spacefaring intelligent life, (If they exist, and are visiting Earth, Which I don't believe) would have a need for war. Perhaps they would be only be observing us.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2009, 09:10:35 PM »

Oh. I am pretty sure there are aliens out there. They probably have never visited Earth, but I think that I am being abducted when I get sleep paralysis at night. My Fundamentalist aunt tells me to pray when that happens and I do that anyways. ...but long story short- they are out there and we cannot yet make any assumptions about them.

I'm sure there are aliens out there given the incomprehensible size of the universe, but are they intelligent? I'm not so sure. It is possible there is intelligent life out there, but what would they be like, or look like, would they be humanoid, or some sort of spacefaring insectoid guided by a hive-mind intelligence? Like spacefaring bees? That would be my worst nightmare.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2009, 10:28:20 PM »

Oh. I am pretty sure there are aliens out there. They probably have never visited Earth, but I think that I am being abducted when I get sleep paralysis at night. My Fundamentalist aunt tells me to pray when that happens and I do that anyways. ...but long story short- they are out there and we cannot yet make any assumptions about them.

I'm sure there are aliens out there given the incomprehensible size of the universe, but are they intelligent? I'm not so sure. It is possible there is intelligent life out there, but what would they be like, or look like, would they be humanoid, or some sort of spacefaring insectoid guided by a hive-mind intelligence? Like spacefaring bees? That would be my worst nightmare.
Nope. Can't neogotiate something like that. There are most likely intellegent life forms in our galaxy and they are probably at least as physically complicated as we are....but they will not be like anything that is on our Earth....then again, maybe little grey men are real...but how do they biologically compare with Earth Life?

Long story short- anything we can think of is probably real...even in this galaxy.

Huh. Strange to think of, but what if there is some Alien-like United Nations out there, and we don't even know it. Maybe were in an life-isolated corner of the galaxy, like an Australia floating in space.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2009, 09:57:37 PM »

Well, if people even exist 700 million years from now, they will be radically different from people today, and much more evolved. When the universe ends, if it expands forever, I can see people becoming Androids like in the movies, by transferring their memory into it. I don't want to think about that though, I just want to enjoy the time I have on Earth with my family and friends.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2009, 01:38:46 PM »

Well, if people even exist 700 million years from now, they will be radically different from people today, and much more evolved. When the universe ends, if it expands forever, I can see people becoming Androids like in the movies, by transferring their memory into it. I don't want to think about that though, I just want to enjoy the time I have on Earth with my family and friends.

Actually, you got to get more creative than that. I would say that Doctor Who probably has it right. I think that humanity is in enough control of itself to change radically and then revert back to its original self. It fights a lot of odds, but somehow very plausable given the fact that whether or not to be "human-human" could become a matter of choice to future generations.

Huh.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies