Spamage for President HQ: Thank you. (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 27, 2024, 09:49:45 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Spamage for President HQ: Thank you. (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Spamage for President HQ: Thank you.  (Read 4833 times)
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« on: September 04, 2013, 11:32:14 AM »

What reasons?

I am very torn on this issue myself. Most of what I've been reading shows that the economic impacts of Right to Work are rather muddled. The jobs growth argument, to me, is slightly deceptive. During different periods of time, union-shop states and Right to Work states have both held the distinction of being the regions with better growth. I think that fact alone kind of neutralizes the arguments in favour of Right to Work. On the other hand, the argument from organized labour isn't much better: While wages are visibly higher in states with mandatory union membership, the cost of living is also very high. In the end, it works out so that the "real income" isn't much different between either labour structure.

So to me, the economic arguments are rather moot. I err on the side of wanting to give individuals the freedom not to be forced into joining an organization with which they don't agree, but by the same token, I don't think it's unfair to call Right to Work anything other than an attack on organized labour. Why would anyone want to pay union dues when they can just mooch off the accomplishments of the union at their workplace anyway? They wouldn't. As such, membership declines, the unions lose whatever influence they once had, and the workers no longer have a voice. I think it's a serious consideration, not just in terms of wages and benefits, but also in terms of workplace safety.

I like the Rand Formula in Canada. It permits dues check-off, but it also holds that a worker does not have to affiliate with the union at his or her workplace. I guess it's slightly superficial if you're still paying into the activities of the union, but the person would still have the "right to work" if the union decided its workers were going to strike. How else do you balance freedom of association with the reality that unions benefit all workers at a workplace?

A society without Unions would be in worse shape as would a society that openly attacks and prohibits unions (late 1800's and early 1900's). As having worked minimum wage earlier in my life I understand that problems of a lack of benefits and low wages. I in no way am opposed to Unions, its the principle of forced membership. Unions have a historic place in Atlasia, and will likely have a future in this nation, but I do indeed know several people who oppose being forced into the Unions. The Rand Formula is something I'll be looking into, as it sounds quite reasonable to me.

Can you fill me on the Rand Formula when you get more details?
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2013, 05:38:46 PM »

I'm not rallying around the Rand Formula Hagrid. I'm just interested in comparing the two.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2013, 12:18:32 PM »

Excellent decision. Given the times we are in this is a ticket I would be foolish not to back. The crosspartisan mentality is one that we need.

MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2013, 02:04:34 PM »

I can relate. I've lost several friends in this manner but I can't fully understand it myself but my prayers.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies