Fundies praying to Golden Calf
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 03:02:32 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Fundies praying to Golden Calf
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Fundies praying to Golden Calf  (Read 1540 times)
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 31, 2008, 02:39:46 AM »

link

The ironing is delicious.

(that's a Simpsons reference, I'm not that retarded.)
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2008, 07:36:30 PM »

link

It's only funny because the fundies insist that any use of imagery in worship is "idolatry".  In reality, the Bible is pretty specific about what it considers idolatry and it only includes images that are worshiped as though they were gods.  Like I said, funny from the point of view of the hypocrisy.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2008, 08:08:18 PM »

link

It's only funny because the fundies insist that any use of imagery in worship is "idolatry".  In reality, the Bible is pretty specific about what it considers idolatry and it only includes images that are worshiped as though they were gods.  Like I said, funny from the point of view of the hypocrisy.

LOL Chris...you're right.

I'm not even Roman Catholic, but a couple of my fundie family members call me "Papist", "Romish" and an idoloter because I uses icons and beads as aides to prayer and worship. 

From what you have shared in the past, I suspect you get even worse from some corners.

I did, however, note with some amusement that some Evangelical seminarians are finding their way to the Orthodox, Roman Catholic and Anglican communions.  The Christian Century had an article a couple years ago about students at...of all places...Denver Conservative Baptist Seminary joining an Orthodox congregation and being discipled by the priest there.  It may be on a small scale, but I think a broadening of minds and hearts is on the horizon.  Hang in there, my friend!
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2008, 01:09:27 AM »

link

LOL Chris...you're right.

I'm not even Roman Catholic, but a couple of my fundie family members call me "Papist", "Romish" and an idoloter because I uses icons and beads as aides to prayer and worship. 

From what you have shared in the past, I suspect you get even worse from some corners.

I did, however, note with some amusement that some Evangelical seminarians are finding their way to the Orthodox, Roman Catholic and Anglican communions.  The Christian Century had an article a couple years ago about students at...of all places...Denver Conservative Baptist Seminary joining an Orthodox congregation and being discipled by the priest there.  It may be on a small scale, but I think a broadening of minds and hearts is on the horizon.  Hang in there, my friend!

I always find one of the most interesting points to be that religious imagery was used to decorate the Ark, which carried the 10 Commandments.  And the Temple, which housed the 10 Commandments. 
wildfood
Rookie
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2008, 06:24:11 AM »

I didn't read about anyone praying "to" a golden idol as the thread title states.

I did read about people praying in front of a statue for intercession into economic affairs.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2008, 09:12:42 PM »

I didn't read about anyone praying "to" a golden idol as the thread title states.

I did read about people praying in front of a statue for intercession into economic affairs.

Doesn't matter.  It's still idolatry, by most of these people's standards, and the worst kind if you follow their direct interpretation.
wildfood
Rookie
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2008, 09:55:22 PM »

Doesn't matter.  It's still idolatry, by most of these people's standards, and the worst kind if you follow their direct interpretation.

Perhaps you mean that if the tables were turned and those were someone besides Christian fundamentalists praying in front of (as opposed to "to") The Bull for intercession on economic affairs then many fundamentalists would call it idolotry out of a misguided understanding of the subject.

I would agree with that.

12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2008, 11:39:08 PM »

Perhaps you mean that if the tables were turned and those were someone besides Christian fundamentalists praying in front of (as opposed to "to") The Bull for intercession on economic affairs then many fundamentalists would call it idolotry out of a misguided understanding of the subject.

I would agree with that.

Yeah... I am pretty sure that is the point of this entire thread.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2008, 12:46:37 AM »

Ok, "to" may have been a bit of a stretch on my part, but if that pic doesn't bother you (assuming you're a Christian) something is wrong in the world.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2008, 03:00:25 PM »

Ok, "to" may have been a bit of a stretch on my part, but if that pic doesn't bother you (assuming you're a Christian) something is wrong in the world.

I think the fact that they are actually touching it it what makes it.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2008, 03:57:46 AM »

Agreed....what with the laying on of hands and all.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies