When people say that they're "praying for you..." (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 03:03:52 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  When people say that they're "praying for you..." (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ...how do you feel?
Grateful

Insulted

Amused

Confused

Feelings are gay

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 34

Author Topic: When people say that they're "praying for you..."  (Read 6245 times)
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« on: October 04, 2008, 01:22:56 AM »

I used to feel grateful and a little touched.. now I almost feel insulted. It strikes me as a completely worthless notion. Like they couldn't be bothered trying to actively console you or be helpful at all, they'll just be praying for you. I suppose maybe I'm bitter.
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2008, 11:42:36 AM »

somebody just told me they prayed for me at church today.  I really want to kill her.

That really is just so rude, dude. Seriously. I remember a few people being offended/wanted to laugh at me when I mention that I pray for them. If I pray for you, I really care about you; it's not meant to seem like, "Well, you need a lot of help that the rest of us don't need, pal."

As was said, context is important. And so is your relationship with the person before you say it. There are some people I have known almost my entire life that seem utterly disaffected when a friend needs consolation, instead telling them that they will be prayed for as a means to make the problem go away. And, after being told that the problem got worse, shrug it off that it was God's will. I am sure these people mean well and are often genuine and do care, but when a friend is in need, is it more morally correct to listen, console, and offer tangible aid, or to stand back and pray and say that whatever happens was simply a part of God's plan? You're (and I'm not specifically addressing you, Phil, so don't take it personally at all) probably thinking "both," which seems quite correct to me, but way too often people are obliged to avoid inconveniencing themselves to help a friend.
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2008, 11:53:09 AM »

but when a friend is in need, is it more morally correct to listen, console, and offer tangible aid, or to stand back and pray and say that whatever happens was simply a part of God's plan?

When did I say that simply praying for that friend was enough?

You didn't.. and I tried to point out that I wasn't talking to/about you specifically. I used what you said to transition into something else.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Probably. They are, after all, hostile and anti-religious. You could of course not offer that tidbit of information to such a person.
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2008, 12:29:23 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4wQfQtpDAc

Watch this video to the end and tell me the last bit doesn't make you cringe.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies